2.0L Diesel recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Personally id always prefer a belt. All you need to do is replace them in time and youre golden. When a chain causes issues - and theyre far from being universally hassle free - the expense usually massively outweighs a simple belt change. Were talking a factor or five or ten here.

In the BMW example I used above, assuming no further damage has been done the chain chainge is a 2 grand job on the BMW units...or a £200 belt on a comparable engine with belt drive.

My enoromous great 5 pot, 20 valve, twin cam, variable sequential dual turbo "stinky" diesel is so clean it does not even trigger the testing machine at MOT time. No measurable emissions.

Id like to see a petrol engined car that still has a pulse that is able to do the same.
How many times does a chain go compared to a belt ? I'd rather have a Chain than a piece of rubber.Seen plenty of snapped belts... definately not as many chains.Just had a belt changed on a vehicle of mine best part of 400 quid ouch

Gunk

Guru
I agree:okay:
Mine was excellent over 9 years & 150.000 miles
55- 60MPG
£30 VED
1.6Tdi remapped (to the equivilant of the 2.0Tdi, or early vRS models)

you can say the same about a Golf or Passat it’s all the same drivetrain

Venod

Eh up
I know that I'd definitely have the indian head-dress badge over the 4-rings anyday

We have had a Skoda, it was very good and I nearly bought a Karoq but the 1.5 TSI engine that interested me was having problems at the time across all the VAG range, we have also had a couple of Audi's the quality of the interior was notably superior to the Skoda, but of course it is reflected in the price difference.

https://garagewire.co.uk/news/vw-ad...tsi-evo-cars-but-is-yet-to-resolve-juddering/

We have had a Skoda, it was very good and I nearly bought a Karoq but the 1.5 TSI engine that interested me was having problems at the time across all the VAG range, we have also had a couple of Audi's the quality of the interior was notably superior to the Skoda, but of course it is reflected in the price difference.

https://garagewire.co.uk/news/vw-ad...tsi-evo-cars-but-is-yet-to-resolve-juddering/
As you probably know, I bought a Kodiaq, due to needing something a bit bigger/heftier/longer wheelbase

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Personally id always prefer a belt. All you need to do is replace them in time and youre golden. When a chain causes issues - and theyre far from being universally hassle free - the expense usually massively outweighs a simple belt change. Were talking a factor or five or ten here.

In the BMW example I used above, assuming no further damage has been done the chain chainge is a 2 grand job on the BMW units...or a £200 belt on a comparable engine with belt drive.

My enoromous great 5 pot, 20 valve, twin cam, variable sequential dual turbo "stinky" diesel is so clean it does not even trigger the testing machine at MOT time. No measurable emissions.

Id like to see a petrol engined car that still has a pulse that is able to do the same.

Mine does. Flies well under the emissions limits. Thing is, belts aren't always cheap to replace, and many go bang well before due date. Alfas were notorious for this. No such issues with a well designed chain.

grldtnr

Über Member
Can you get an EV for six grand? Maybe an old Leaf, but when will the (expensive) batteries need replacing?

The OP said he likes diesel torque, electric is even better at instant torque but EVs are still very pricey.

I drive hundreds of different cars at work. My recommendations...

Forget posh German stuff. You are paying for a badge. The days are long gone when they were better quality than other makers. Also, very expensive to fix.

You want reliable, buy Japanese.

You want comfy, buy French. But expect bits of the interior to come loose!

Skoda Octavias are brilliant if you can find one that hasn't been minicabbed.

I like the tractor...
I loved my mk 2 Octy, had to sell it on as a known problem with the Dual mass flywheel was beginning to manifest itself,.
Up graded to the Octy 3,( DSG), , but I reckon the mk 2 is the better car, had the mk 2 for 15 yrs, with no major or minor repairs needed,

fossyant

How many times does a chain go compared to a belt ? I'd rather have a Chain than a piece of rubber.Seen plenty of snapped belts... definately not as many chains.Just had a belt changed on a vehicle of mine best part of 400 quid ouch

Thing is you've got to do them early otherwise boom. Ticking time bombs compared to a proper chain. Nissan Toyota etc know how to make em. Nearly 150,000 on mine and 20 years. You won't get 20 years on a rubber band, 5 at most.

fossyant

I loved my mk 2 Octy, had to sell it on as a known problem with the Dual mass flywheel was beginning to manifest itself,.
Up graded to the Octy 3,( DSG), , but I reckon the mk 2 is the better car, had the mk 2 for 15 yrs, with no major or minor repairs needed,

Dual mass seem to be an issue on many cars

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My wife has had a 2009 Ford S-Max 2.0 TDCi since new and it’s a lovely car. Apart from some intermittent starting issues which were resolved with a new fuel pump it has been totally reliable. For a 12 year old car the bodywork is amazing and from a running cost perspective my only complaint is the excessive wear on the front tyres (which are not cheap).
1DE47C1B-6E9A-434C-9731-5D6D5827F523.jpeg

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Thing is you've got to do them early otherwise boom. Ticking time bombs compared to a proper chain. Nissan Toyota etc know how to make em. Nearly 150,000 on mine and 20 years. You won't get 20 years on a rubber band, 5 at most.
Generalisations can be sweeping :smile:

Never seen a recorded case of a Volvo cambelt snapping - ever.

Now the aux belt tensioner, that's another matter!

Gunk

Guru
My wife has had a 2009 Ford S-Max 2.0 TDCi since new and it’s a lovely car. Apart from some intermittent starting issues which were resolved with a new fuel pump it has been totally reliable. For a 12 year old car the bodywork is amazing and from a running cost perspective my only complaint is the excessive wear on the font tyres (which are not cheap).
View attachment 616673

Ford do build a good car and they’re cracking value used, here is an example of what £5000 will buy you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185108262431

Adam4868

Guru
Never had to change a chain,but I've snapped a belt more than once ! 150,000 miles and ten years would of been what 3 changes of a rubber belt ? Paid for itself allready 😁

Top Bottom