2.0L Diesel recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Good shout thanks. There's only 1 near me and it's older so 230 tax. And 90 something thousand miles. They do look nice though, I'll keep an eye out

Mine was one of the last built and Citroen UK were selling them off cheap as it was phasing out the model.

This is basically the car I bought and if you can find one in this spec then I would recommend. The only downside there weren't a lot sold in the UK the last couple of years of it's production run so they are quite scarce, especially the Euro 6 diesel.

https://www.motorparks.co.uk/techni...-exclusive-180-5dr-eat6-techno-pk-(2015-2018)

Wow Andy I am totally shocked!! Last time I did a book value on mine (a 65 plate) it was circa 6k.

Just been looking at the market and there is a 64 plate at nearly 15k!!!. on Auto trader.

That is only a grand less than what I paid for mine brand new six years ago!! I know there is a boom in second hand car prices but I am gob smacked.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Five pages and no one has mentioned the obvious choice - a Ford Mondeo.

Reliable 2.0 (or 2.2?) Tdci diesel engine, rides and handles a treat, so excellent for twisty roads and pissing down the motorway.

Looks like five bags of sand will get a 2012 with quite a few toys, including auto if you fancy it.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Yes, it seems as though there are heaps for sale but only with very high mileage. Maybe those with lower mileage are being kept, knowing that those people who would have upgraded to a new Diesel can no longer do so
I doubt there will be many low mileage ones tbh - typically the realm of the private buyer, and s/he has moved to 'premium' brands or SUVs en masse.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Five pages and no one has mentioned the obvious choice - a Ford Mondeo.

Reliable 2.0 (or 2.2?) Tdci diesel engine, rides and handles a treat, so excellent for twisty roads and pissing down the motorway.

Looks like five bags of sand will get a 2012 with quite a few toys, including auto if you fancy it.

I loved my Mondeo had it for 23 years until it got written off with only 60,000 on the clock.
I'm looking for another one maybe in a diesel this time, but most seem to have very high mileage or miles away.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
We've just bought a Pug 308 SW hdi. 79000 miles, 2017 reg, free tax, £5000. Granted, prices are higher atm, but so are trade-in values...

Broadside

Guru
Do a search on Autotrader for cars with low mileage. After 5 years old there aren’t many about but they do come up, I bought a 10 year old car earlier this year with £40k, it looks and runs like new but was a lot cheaper as its 10 years old.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Buy on condition, not mileage.

Truer now than it has ever been given that many engines will do 100-150k miles without major work.

Look out for a few stamps in the book and the job should be a good 'un.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Buy on condition, not mileage.

Truer now than it has ever been given that many engines will do !00-150 miles without major work.

Look out for a few stamps in the book and the job should be a good 'un.
Yes maybe I'm over thinking it, but I've gone onto car-specific forums to suss out what generally needs doing. As @Drago said earlier on, nice saloons with 100K miles will need timing belt, water pump and other anxiallaries if they've not been done before. I've budgeted for that, but then there are things like dual mass flywheels, suspension etc which is lots of labour. I don't mind paying out for some of it if it's a car I really like (and will try my utmost to keep until it dies), but on the other hand I've had it with older bikes before where you buy cheap and you end up replacing everything at great expensse, a bit like Trigger's Broom!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes maybe I'm over thinking it,

You are certainly drowning in a sea of choice, not to say information of various quality.

Years ago, you'd have either bought a Ford or some odd thing from Japan which rusted faster than Usain Bolt on steroids.

Predicting the future is impossible, so you may as well buy the best Focus or Mondeo you can find, and then just go with the maintenance flow.

Chislenko

Veteran
You are certainly drowning in a sea of choice, not to say information of various quality.

Years ago, you'd have either bought a Ford or some odd thing from Japan which rusted faster than Usain Bolt on steroids.

Predicting the future is impossible, so you may as well buy the best Focus or Mondeo you can find, and then just go with the maintenance flow.

I was thinking though why my Citroen had increased in value so much and I think one of the contributory factors is Euro 6 diesel.

I have checked it on a few cities with charging zones and it attracts no charge.

Cerdic

Please, please DON'T buy an Insignia! I had the misfortune to drive hundreds of the things when we had them on fleet.

Uncomfortable seats, uncooperative gearchange, lifeless steering, limp engines, dodgy build quality, poor reliability. A car for dedicated Vauxhall fans only!

As others have alluded, part of your problem is that there are not very many cars available of the sort you are looking for. New car buyers haven't been buying them for some years now. Either they buy an SUV/crossover type thing or a posh German moneypit-in-waiting!

Top Bottom