2 buys this week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
trek-7_edited-1.jpg

Bought this at the co-op yesterday, a dinged and dented Trek 7.3FX. But it's still a Trek 7.3FX. It has already done the bidding of Mrs. GA by taking the subdivision fees to our board president's house. N+1 need sometimes to show their economy and usefulness.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've now got the front mech working correctly, just took a little force & some playing with adjustment screws (which moved quite freely considering it's about 40 years old)
Rear mech needs some adjustment too, as it is dropping off the smallest cog, but I'm considering fitting a newer wheelset (as I have a couple of spares) I realise that means cold setting the frame, but how many gears can I run with D/T shifters? The lowest number of sprockets on a cassette I believe is 7, so can I run 7, 8 or even 9 speed cassette with 5spd D/T shifters?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've now got the front mech working correctly, just took a little force & some playing with adjustment screws (which moved quite freely considering it's about 40 years old)
Rear mech needs some adjustment too, as it is dropping off the smallest cog, but I'm considering fitting a newer wheelset (as I have a couple of spares) I realise that means cold setting the frame, but how many gears can I run with D/T shifters? The lowest number of sprockets on a cassette I believe is 7, so can I run 7, 8 or even 9 speed cassette with 5spd D/T shifters?
If it's 126mm spacing you can get a 130 rear wheel in and if the indexing can be 'switched off' at the lever then fill yer boots.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I believe you can work 6 or 7 with downtube shifters unindexed, but going past 9 may get a bit fiddly, depending on how close together everything is

Top Bottom