2 Gel or not 2 Gel ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Veganpower

It is obligatory to eat cake if you cycle

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to be a rebel then. I'm not much of a beer drinker either :eek::surrender:

JamesTaylor02

Found that the "energy" bars are next to useless. Suppose it's a case of trial and error really, that's the approach I've taken. The powders I've found are OK, based on the fact I don't feel I'm going to lose my legs after the hill I used to struggle on at the start of my commute. Having said that, it'd be interesting to give these a miss once my test packets have gone to see whether these powders are working or whether it's just's just physcological. Yet to comment on the gels but I'm sure that I will be able to comment after tomorrow, I intend on giving one a go!

All the best! James ^_^

400bhp

Guru
Found that the "energy" bars are next to useless. Suppose it's a case of trial and error really, that's the approach I've taken. The powders I've found are OK, based on the fact I don't feel I'm going to lose my legs after the hill I used to struggle on at the start of my commute. Having said that, it'd be interesting to give these a miss once my test packets have gone to see whether these powders are working or whether it's just's just physcological. Yet to comment on the gels but I'm sure that I will be able to comment after tomorrow, I intend on giving one a go!

All the best! James ^_^

You use powders on your commute? How long is your commute?:wacko:

JamesTaylor02

You use powders on your commute? How long is your commute?:wacko:

It's not really that far but I wanted to give everything a try and see how things work so that if anything I try does work then I know what works and what doesn't for the longer rides that I intend on doing. It's all in the interest of research.

400bhp

Guru
It's not really that far but I wanted to give everything a try and see how things work so that if anything I try does work then I know what works and what doesn't for the longer rides that I intend on doing. It's all in the interest of research.

pointless unless you are riding for more than a couple of hours.

How the hell can you research something intended for long term benefits over a short duration.

The mind boggles.:wacko:

VamP

Banned
It's the CC way

:laugh:

Actually, it goes beyond CC. There was a guy at our Inter-club Hill Climb last year who necked a gel half-way up the hill. Now any of you who have ever done a hill climb of any size know that this makes no sense, but the winning time on this particular hill was just over 2 minutes!

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
:laugh:

Actually, it goes beyond CC. There was a guy at our Inter-club Hill Climb last year who necked a gel half-way up the hill. Now any of you who have ever done a hill climb of any size know that this makes no sense, but the winning time on this particular hill was just over 2 minutes!

I've never been in a position to swallow anything during a hill climb...perhaps the reverse...

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
If just doing a long bike ride I will tend to eat proper food (cereal bars if on the move, if not then sandwich/choc from petrol station). However, as a triathlete gels come into their own once you need to run too, as most people cannot manage running with solid food thundering around inside. So for events, and long training rides leading up to them, I use high5 isotonic gels. Just like to get my body used to them. For a 100 mile ride I will also use solid food up to about 60 miles to allow time to digest. If not, as soon as I get off and run, I will be churning up inside.

Probably doesn't apply to pure cycling, but for race nutrition do practice beforehand. Both in terms of what it does to your body, and also practical stuff like how easy it is to open the packets on the move. Also big triathlons (poss sportives too) publicise the drinks on offer so you can test them out. Personally I just use the water and add my own drink mix

VamP

Banned
I've never been in a position to swallow anything during a hille climb...perhaps the reverse...

Yep. There was a pic of him wrestling with the gel on our club website - it wasn't clear if it was going in or out. Shame I can't find the pic as it was quite funny...

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
I occasionally use a bit of gel.

But I prefer hairspray...
1512534_10201010213408447_620111640_n.jpg

I guess it could help make me more aerodynamic?

crazyjoe101

plus
and will carry some of this great stuff better than malt loaf and very easy to make :hungry:
BRANFLAKE LOAF
More delicious than shop bought malt loaf and so easy to fling together
a child can do it. This must be one of the only cake mixtures that looks and tastes
pretty revolting in the bowl, but honestly, the end result is well worth the complete lack of effort...
Best sliced thinly and eaten with butter or jam.
1 mug of Kellogg's All-Bran
1 mug of either currants, mixed dried fruit or sultanas
1 mug of milk
1 mug of self-raising flour
A generous half-mug of caster or soft brown sugar

Method
1. Put everything except the flour in a large bowl and leave the mixture to stand for about an hour.
2. Grease and long-strip-line a standard size loaf tin and pre-heat the oven to approximately Gas Mark 3 (160 C)
3. Sift the flour into the soggy mixture, stir it in well and pour the whole lot into the loaf tin, spreading it evenly up to the sides.
4. Bake in a cool oven for about an hour and a half, until a skewer or sharp knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean

Thanks for the recipe, I baked one of these as well as a batch of honey flapjacks, I'll be testing them both throughout the week. I've not tasted the loaf but the flapjacks are adequate, even if I do say so myself.

Top Bottom