2 Gel or not 2 Gel ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
It's not the taste of the gel, it's the texture - I can't physically swallow it, just like I can't swallow rocket, although that's stringy rather than sticky!

I like sweets, I do coffee and cake too, or a sarni for lunch...I am not fuelling for a race.
Google sugar spike. It's not great.

I'm not pushing you towards gels, I'm steering you away from jelly babies.

vickster

Legendary Member
I really don't eat very many...probably as I don't do many long cycle rides :biggrin:

I have porridge before riding and then something else after a couple of hours, most likely cake, possibly a few sweets. I ride for leisure not sport

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you are doing more than 1 hour 30 minutes the give the gels a go but I would personally use Isotonic drinks during long durations as the gels can sometimes cause a stomach upset, but give them a try as they may suit you

Isotonic drinks and gels are, on the most part, different things with different purposes!

harly

Check out the ingrediants in gels
Nothing flash just sugar , glucose , malt dextrin , you may as well eat jelly babies , very little difference and cheaper

JamesTaylor02

I suppose it's all what you try out. I've been looking at the various gels, powders, bars etc. and never actually knowing which one would work best. I've decided the best thing to do (for this week anyway) was to buy a couple of powders, a couple of gels, a couple of bars and see what'll work for me. I would advise you do the same! :popcorn:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Jacket spuds travel well in your back pocket
They must keep you warm on the cold mornings too!
:rofl:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
SiS Go Gell
Water, Maltodextrin (produced from partial hydrolyses of a special variety of Maize), Natural Flavouring,Gelling Agents (Xanthan Gum, Gellan Gum), Acidity Users(Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate), Preservatives (Sodium Benzoate,Potassium Sorbate), Sweetener (Acesulfame K), Sodium Chloride, Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid)

Maltodextrin is a carbohydrate made from rice, corn, or potato starch
Xanthan Gum is produced by the fermentation of glucose, sucrose, or lactose
Gellan Gum Is a thickening agent with residue of glucose
Citric Acid is obtained from Citric fruit and used to add an acidic or sour taste to foods and drinks
Sodium citrate may refer to any of the sodium salts of citric acid
Sodium Benzoate produced by reacting sodium hydroxide with benzoic acid
Potassium sorbate is a preservative that is produced as a result of chemical reaction between potassium hydroxide and sorbic acid
Acesulfame potassium is a calorie-free sweetener
Ascorbic Acid is a natually occurring vitamin c compound.

Bassett Jelly Babies.
Sugar, Glucose syrup, Water, Gelatine (Bovine), Concentrated fruit juices* (1%) (Lime, raspberry, Blackcurrant, Strawberry, orange, lemon), Citric acid, Flavourings, Colours (Carbon black, Cochineal, Curcumin, Copper chlorophyl). *enquired to 7% fruit juice

Loads of unhealthy processed rubbish in both of them, low quality carbohydrate sources to spike your blood sugars and insulin levels. Your better off making your own flap jacks or similar and getting some high quality carbs and protein IMHO.

harly

Shame your research didn't take you as far as googling the difference between sugar and maltodextrin and their relative suitability as fuel.
Maltodextrin...
Something that is used as a thickening agent , found in sweets , fizzy pop , artificial sweeteners ,beer and crisps has got to be good for you ..right
See the 2 lists of ingrediants above
Both rubbish

Last edited:
Top Bottom