2 Gel or not 2 Gel ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
I wonder if all those above advocating jelly babies realise they are basically sugar and gelatine.

Hardly the nutritional stuff of champions. Gels are designed for racing. Bit of an overkill for non-racing application. But still a lot better than jelly babies. Jesus.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Only use sweets if in desperate need of a pick me up but can't beat a banana and home made food
Flapjacks etc....

Justiffa

I mostly ride for fun but once in a while I take on races or follow my buddies on long rides (above 100km). bcos most of them are younger than me and bcos i'd hate to become more of a liability than I already am (i'm pretty slow and usually average around 25-27km/h), I bring a couple of gels/energy bars just in case my energy drains off & I become completely pooped & useless.

Its like my reserve fuel and knowing that I hv it stashed away in my backpockets is more of a confidence booster than anything else lol.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Might Re-title this as Gel Gate -
Seem to have opened a bees nest -
Anyone for Honey ?
Or even Honey flap jack - dried monkey willy - banana cakes ?
:whistle:
:laugh:
I've never, ever had a gel. It sounds disgusting. Ham sarnie, flap jack or a banana for me. I have a big bowl of porridge before I go out and that does me. If I really feel the need for a big lunch (rare) then I can always stop at a cafe for some cake thing more substantial:whistle:

Reminds me of last summer. I went mountain-biking at Whinnlatter forest whith a mate and along the trail there was some gel wrappers. We had the discussion about the peckers that would need gels at a mountain bike trail park, when they are no more than five minutes away from a cafe at the bottom of the hill (not to mention the fact that they were arrogant enough to throw their litter on the floor!)

Gels have their place in an event where you need a big kick of energy in an easily consumable form (long TTs) even road racers manage to eat a sandwich and a can of coke while racing!

But it's your life, eat what you want:thumbsup:

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
:laugh:
I've never, ever had a gel. It sounds disgusting. Ham sarnie, flap jack or a banana for me. I have a big bowl of porridge before I go out and that does me. If I really feel the need for a big lunch (rare) then I can always stop at a cafe for some cake thing more substantial:whistle:

Reminds me of last summer. I went mountain-biking at Whinnlatter forest whith a mate and along the trail there was some gel wrappers. We had the discussion about the peckers that would need gels at a mountain bike trail park, when they are no more than five minutes away from a cafe at the bottom of the hill (not to mention the fact that they were arrogant enough to throw their litter on the floor!)

Gels have their place in an event where you need a big kick of energy in an easily consumable form (long TTs) even road racers manage to eat a sandwich and a can of coke while racing!

But it's your life, eat what you want:thumbsup:
Almost agreed - I saw these (high 5 race packs) reduced on't - tinterweb thingymajigg & thought - why not !
Like Andrew-Culture & yourself though I am concerned about the gel littering that goes on.
It's a cause of many complaints by those on popular routes & causes harm to wildlife.
Promise to be a good boy & keep mine off the streets.
Might not even like 'em yet.
It's just that I intend to push myself a bit further with higher intensity rides, I.e faster more inclines & medium mileage - 70 - 90k.

Top Bottom