2 Gel or not 2 Gel ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maltodextrin...
Something that is used as a thickening agent , found in sweets , fizzy pop , artificial sweeteners ,beer and crisps has got to be good for you ..right
See the 2 lists of ingrediants above
Both rubbish

Not sure if you've fully understood that....

VamP

Banned
Something that is used in sweets , fizzy pop , beer and crisps has got to be good for you ..
See the 2 lists of ingrediants above
Both rubbish , but one cheaper than the other

Forget the lists. Jelly babies are sugar and tiny amounts of other stuff. Gels are maltodextrin and tiny amounts of other stuff.
Sugar = simple carbohydrate + sugar spike
Maltodextrin = complex carbohydrate + usable fuel without sugar spike.

Neither is any good from long term nutritional perspective. One is great at filling an immediate fuel need. The other is great at rotting your teeth.

harly

you are what you eat as the saying goes
i like porridge bars when im out on the bike , something more solid than gels , jellybabies or haribos

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Isnt that what cake stops are for?^_^
Seriously though , without knowing the terrain and pace of the club runs and what you personally need its hard to say what you will need .
For a "medium" pace club run of around 100 k i would have a good breakfast of probably porridge and take a bottle or 2 or water with no cal tabs , i would also carry a gel or two as back up energy but i would rarely need them as the mid ride coffee and cake stop would be enough for me.
Remember on a club run you probably will not be on the front all the time so you will use a lot less energy in the slipstream of those taking a pull at the front
On a fast club ride over a similar distance i would use the gels as well as they go faster , personally i dont like gels and prefer a cereal/energy bars and the kellogs nutrigrain (one with the jam inside ) i like and i have seen them on offer at the cannock sportive.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm a newb so there is plenty of time to be proved wrong but I intend to carry high quality Dates for long rides.
xx(

Top Bottom