2 Gel or not 2 Gel ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Almost agreed - I saw these (high 5 race packs) reduced on't - tinterweb thingymajigg & thought - why not !
Like Andrew-Culture & yourself though I am concerned about the gel littering that goes on.
It's a cause of many complaints by those on popular routes & causes harm to wildlife.
Promise to be a good boy & keep mine off the streets.
Might not even like 'em yet.
It's just that I intend to push myself a bit further with higher intensity rides, I.e faster more inclines & medium mileage - 70 - 90k.

It annoys me too - why can't the manufacturers make a bio-degradeable sachet.:rolleyes:

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't personally swallow gels, nasty horrid sticky consistency, thus I prefer jelly babies to choking...and they taste much better and you have choice as to whether the head or feet go first :evil:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
As opposed to what?

As opposed to preparing and carrying other food options really. I buy a couple of boxes of gels at a time, I chuck two in my small barbag before a ride and off I go...I can open them and eat them on the move if needs be and they don't take up much room. Simples.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I can't personally swallow gels, nasty horrid sticky consistency, thus I prefer jelly babies to choking...and they taste much better and you have choice as to whether the head or feet go first :evil:

I can't say I notice the taste of gels but then I'm used to some really horrid gym supplements, so I guess I have built up a tolerance.

How far is long mileage if 70-90km is medium mileage?

HeroesFitness

If you are doing more than 1 hour 30 minutes the give the gels a go but I would personally use Isotonic drinks during long durations as the gels can sometimes cause a stomach upset, but give them a try as they may suit you

VamP

Banned

You might prefer the taste but as fuel goes, jelly babies are particularly crap. Why not just eat a flapjack?

vickster

Legendary Member
It's not the taste of the gel, it's the texture - I can't physically swallow it, just like I can't swallow rocket, although that's stringy rather than sticky!

I like sweets, I do coffee and cake too, or a sarni for lunch...I am not fuelling for a race.

I'm all for bananas, cake, malt loaf, fig rolls etc. but find on longer rides (100 miles+ to me) I like something savoury. Jacket spuds travel well in your back pocket and are easy to eat on the go, as are pasties.

Top Bottom