2 in1 Bike - Road or Gravel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dolorous Edd

Most gravel bikes spend 90% of their time on the road without any adjustments at all...

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Value is such a personal thing, if you have the £ and/or room in your life for only 1 bike but require different uses from it then sure it might tick boxes.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Allied Echo

Change in geometry via adjustments to dropouts and fork. Plus 2 sets of wheels - one wider for gravel (650) and the narrower(700) for road. Is there value or just a novelty?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyO_kKtamfk&t=481s

Not unique in either respect- Rondo (who did it first) and Baum among others have similar adjustable forks. Pretty much every gravel frame can take 700C or 650B wheelsets, officially or not. And anyone can buy a second set of wheels and stick different tyres (and cassettes) on them. If you want one bike for road and off-road, and want the best performance for each, why not?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Its only of value if the wheels fit in your pocket.

The ideal gravel bike then

sinclair%20a-bike%20(abike).jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Buy a road bike
Buy a MTB.

Simple.

I ride gravel on my recumbent on road tyres. I also ride gravel on my Brompton on 16” wheels and road tyres. Am I bad person?
Yes, obviously, how are manufacturers going to flog more stuff if you keep crossing the threshold of usage, though if you are on a recumbent trike then at least you are use 50% extra in wheelage... Excessive Brompton usage is something other cyclists don't like to think about :whistle:

Kajjal

Guru
Gravel bikes in general are very good until you move into rougher trails where mountain bikes perform far better. My Diverge easily out runs my XC mountain bike on smoother less technical trails and is much faster on road, which makes longer distances and linking up off road trails much easier. The two sets of wheels is not for me as I use whichever bike is more appropriate but for others it could be ideal.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Not unique in either respect- Rondo (who did it first) and Baum among others have similar adjustable forks. Pretty much every gravel frame can take 700C or 650B wheelsets, officially or not. And anyone can buy a second set of wheels and stick different tyres (and cassettes) on them. If you want one bike for road and off-road, and want the best performance for each, why not?
They are not claiming they are the first.

It more about changing the geometry rather than the wheel change. The difference in geometry - changes in stack, top tube, wheelbase, reach etc after after flipping the front and the back chips (they call it chips), one is certainly road and the other is gravel. Geometries are important for type of use. Not for commute along part road and part gravel track.

The geometry science is laudable however that is the end of the good.

The less good or bad is that it is not a fettle that we all like to do with bikes. It more faffing around with brake mounts, rear derailleur, wheel sets etc every time you do a changeover whether it is weekly or seasonally or when you feel like going gravel. There is also issue of chain length though the jockey wheel is expected to take up slack.

The really bads are the inability to take mechanical, only electronic group sets as cables need to be adjusted each and gears indexed and internal cabling routing of that particular design on cockpit will not help with shifting. Then the compromise with 1x and 2 x transmission, flared handle bars etc. Neither here nor there.

The price of the frame is terrible. It is close to brand new Pinarello Dogma F which is their latest.

I rather get a MTB for trails. With many of us and our N+1, it will be horses for causes. We occasionally have to bring out stud tyres for our winter bikes but that is a necessity. I do note that the US has long flat roads paved with gravel and their races are on it. So it might work in their world if one do races on both surface, and there take domestic flights for amateur races.

To me its more gimmicky and gadgetry even without that exorbitant marquee price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom