2 minute window

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HOU5EY

So my boy started school last September, since then due to my wife starting work at 7.30 we have booked the boy into a breakfast club at a cost of £6-£12 per morning. This started to completely wipe us out financially after the first couple of months and as the boy is pretty good on his bike and schools not far away I decided to start cycling with him to get him to school for 8.45 and then hop on my bike for a 5 mile sprint to get myself in before 9am. The first couple of trips I arrived at work at 9.02am which resulted in my boss not being happy but after working out a few shortcuts I can now get there for bang on 9am. The company I work for participates in the cycle to work scheme so I was hoping that they may be a little more understanding on days when there's likely to be black ice... But apparently not. Does anybody else experience this from their employer? Any advice?

screenman

Legendary Member
Sorry but if 9am is your start time then I would expect you to be working at that time, however when I did employ staff I was very flexible, which many of them took advantage of.

What is your job? the answer to that could change my views.

Have you had a quiet chat?
See if they can let you have a little flexibility and shift your hours by say 15 minutes

DrLex

merely the moocher
A sit down with HR to see whether you can flex your hours? I've a colleague who has four children under ten; two pre-school and a working wife. It is rare that he is in prior to "regular" start, so an arrangement has been made between him, his boss & HR.

OP
OP
H

HOU5EY

I've tried asking the boss but it didn't seem to go well. The general response I got was that work begins at 9 and that's the time I'm expected to be there. As the boys only 4 I have to wait outside the school doors until they open at 8.43 -8.47 (massive difference when you have to pedal like f%€k), Gutted really as I've been there over 7 years and never been late before and rarely ever off . I saw something recently about the law changing to say that if you've been employed for over 2 years that the company has an obligation to be flexible if you have a child and need to change your working hours . I don't really want to cause any kind of friction with the senior management, I'm just trying to get my boy to school

screenman

Legendary Member
I will ask again, what do you do.

How many on here would start work within a minute of finishing a 5 mile ride at evens.

Hip Priest

Veteran
It all sounds very stressful.

I'd try and get it sorted, because having to sprint to work every morning with only 2 minutes grace isn't really sustainable.

OP
OP
H

HOU5EY

Sorry but if 9am is your start time then I would expect you to be working at that time, however when I did employ staff I was very flexible, which many of them took advantage of.

What is your job? the answer to that could change my views.
I fully agree as I'm a web supervisor and the phones start to ring at 9 and I need to be there. I guess I just posted to see if anyone was in the same position and had to race to work instead of planning a commute that gives you time to allow for traffic ...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If your job is at stake maybe you should bin the bike and use a car if you have one. Either that or see if you can start 15 minutes late and work 15 minutes extra at the end of the day.

If your immediate boss will not listen to what you are saying, take it higher.

Steve

OP
OP
H

HOU5EY

We have a car but my wife works in another town so she drives and there's not really any chance of being able to afford another car . I did change from 700 x 40c to 700 x 35c and made sure the tyres were fully inflated , think that may have knocked off a good few seconds. I just pray the wind is in the right direction when I wake up

Mobytek

2 sides - legal side is that you can request flexable working depending on business needs - so what do you do for a job?

Other side is - been there 7 years and no doubt many hours over worked and not paid.

But still, as @screenman said, if you are contracted to start at 9 then start at 9 you should. And that's not "arrive at 9, get changed, make a brew, log on, catch up on last night's TV and be running by 0930". For that, you turn up ap 0830. Love reminding people of that in the office.....

But still, all depends what you do. If you are on a line of some sort and they can not live without you, then it is what it is - if it's customer facing shop type thing, then do your flexable hrs request stating the reasons.

But still - 7 years and no movemvent or goodwill. Has your boss been your boss for long or has he come in with "stramlining responsabilities"?

screenman

Legendary Member
If I as a customer phone a company with an opening time of 9am, then I expect them to answer the phone at thst time.

I still cannot see how you can do your job the minute you get off the bike.

Top Bottom