2 minute window

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've just checked the map and it's 5km not miles so no need to to think I'm any good, just going as fast as I can :smile:
Ah, well, 5 km downhill sounds doable in about 10 minutes with a bit more fitness! :thumbsup:

Maylian

Veteran
As a manager in an IT company we have many people needing some flexible working. Where possible we accommodate their requests, however being a service function they need to remember the start time is clear and actions will be taken if they are consistently missing it.

Another lesson you should learn, never let people on here

Sandra6

Veteran
I find it stressful enough getting daughter out the door at 8.45 when I need to be at work for 9 and I only have a mile and half to ride. I've never been close to late but then I am never late. I'd like to think my employer would be more understanding if it were a possibility though.
And never mind being impressed at the cycling speed, I'm amazed you can get a 4 year old into school in under a minute!

I was about to say give up on working out how to improve your speed, as you are going to get negligible gains on 15 mins over five miles - but I see you meant km!

I think the focus shouldn't be on speed anyway. Are you friends with any other parents? Any chance you could find one that arrives earlier and ask if your child could wait with them while you shoot off?

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I'm just amazed that the school gates don't open until 8:45. When I were a lad they were open at 7:30

KneesUp

Guru
So my boy started school last September, since then due to my wife starting work at 7.30 we have booked the boy into a breakfast club at a cost of £6-£12 per morning. This started to completely wipe us out financially after the first couple of months and as the boy is pretty good on his bike and schools not far away I decided to start cycling with him to get him to school for 8.45 and then hop on my bike for a 5 mile sprint to get myself in before 9am. The first couple of trips I arrived at work at 9.02am which resulted in my boss not being happy but after working out a few shortcuts I can now get there for bang on 9am. The company I work for participates in the cycle to work scheme so I was hoping that they may be a little more understanding on days when there's likely to be black ice... But apparently not. Does anybody else experience this from their employer? Any advice?
I presume they are equally as bothered by 2 minutes when you work 120 seconds more than you are contracted?

KneesUp

Guru
If a company opens at 9am and closes at 5pm, would you expect them to answer the phones after 5pm? of course not
If they were on a phonecall at 4:45 and it took 17 mimutes, I wouldn't expect them to hang up and have the other two minutes conversation the next day..

My OH use to work for a company that expected her to answer the phone at 4:59 if she finished at 5. The average length of a call was about 5 minutes (of course some were shorter, but some could take over an hour)

Flexibility goes both ways. I actually do employ people. I'm not bothered if they arrive a minute or two late (over 5 and I get annoyed) but equally I don't expect them to kick customers out at exactly closing time.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The OP is, effectively, racing on the road.

It's irresponsible both to himself and other road users.

If a car commuter posted something similar, you would all be bellowing about dangerous driving.

I use both means of transport, but will not race in either to please anybody.

screenman

Legendary Member
Flexibility does indeed go both ways, but the customer should always come first. I can assure you that very few people work every minute they are paid for.

Top Bottom