2 minute window

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
The OP is, effectively, racing on the road.

It's irresponsible both to himself and other road users.

If a car commuter posted something similar, you would all be bellowing about dangerous driving.

I use both means of transport, but will not race in either to please anybody.

Materiality dude, materiality.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The OP is, effectively, racing on the road.

It's irresponsible both to himself and other road users.
5 km in 15 mins = 20 kph, or 12.5 mph - not exactly warp speed! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
H

HOU5EY

It's all on long straight cycle paths through the country so it's not like I've got to worry about bumping into anyone.

OP
OP
H

HOU5EY

Depends on road comditions, my 6 mile commute takes 11 mins on a good day but 30 mins plus on a bad day.
I find that the wind affects my ride a lot. I'm fairly close to the coast and on one particular stretch if the wind is heading right at me I struggle to get any kind of speed up.

Sandra6

Veteran
Some of you have a very relaxed attitude to punctuality. Personally I can't abide lateness and if I'm honest being bang on time isn't good enough, I want people to be early. And if you haven't finished your task at home time you should stay until you have.

ColinJ

Some of you have a very relaxed attitude to punctuality. Personally I can't abide lateness and if I'm honest being bang on time isn't good enough, I want people to be early. And if you haven't finished your task at home time you should stay until you have.
So you want people to work some of the time for nothing, and you also expect one-way flexibility? :whistle:

I got told off for coming in at 10:00 once, for my 09:00 start. I pointed out that my work at 09:00 would not have been of acceptable quality given that I had done 8 hours unpaid overtime the day before, not finishing work until 01:00, and not getting to bed until 02:30! My manager apologised but asked me to sneak in next time so strict nine-to-fivers would not be upset by my late arrival ...

ColinJ

Oh, and I remember talking to the managing director of another company when a colleague arrived about an hour after everyone else. The manager said that G's punctuality was hopeless, but he was not going to criticise him because nobody needed him in early, his work was impeccable, and he averaged about 3 hours extra in the evenings, unpaid!

The company switched over to flexible hours after I left, so nearly everybody got the freedom to choose when they worked, obvious exceptions being receptionists, or anybody attending meetings or liaising with customers.

Maylian

Veteran
So you want people to work some of the time for nothing, and you also expect one-way flexibility? :whistle:

I got told off for coming in at 10:00 once, for my 09:00 start. I pointed out that my work at 09:00 would not have been of acceptable quality given that I had done 8 hours unpaid overtime the day before, not finishing work until 01:00, and not getting to bed until 02:30! My manager apologised but asked me to sneak in next time so strict nine-to-fivers would not be upset by my late arrival ...

Personally only been late to work once, by 5 minutes after I had an accident. Walked home with the bike, got showered and caught the bus in. Otherwise I tend to be 45 minutes early every day so I can prep myself for the day.

Dependent upon jobs you have to realise KPIs can be failed because of being late a few minutes which affects all other team members, bonuses and over a long period job security. Hence the reason for flexibility to change a start time to ensure punctuality. Whilst our phones open at 6.30am and shut at 9pm, I have often received calls from stores with network outages etc that you stay and fix, even if they phone at 9 exactly. As a manager I expect a bit of give and take, although I can guarantee that I put in more hours than almost all of my staff.

ColinJ

I worked in a factory for 5 years, pre-university. The entire workforce used to start work 3 minutes after breaks and finish 3 minutes before them, which was in keeping with company rules. I found the scrambles for clocking in and out undignified so I used to start a few minutes early and finish a few minutes late. It made me feel that I had some control over my life, though I was really still jumping when told to jump!

Sandra6

Veteran

I don't think a few minutes either side of your normal hours is unreasonable to work unpaid. But of course it works both ways. I'm typically 10mins early, sometimes more, so if I need to leave early the manager is unlikely to quibble. I never have a problem getting time off either, and on a slight tangent if something did happen on my ride in somebody would be looking for me within minutes.

Top Bottom