2 minute window

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
If I as a customer phone a company with an opening time of 9am, then I expect them to answer the phone at thst time.

I still cannot see how you can do your job the minute you get off the bike.

Absolutely, and if he's a web supervisor he should be setting the standards.

400bhp

Guru
Anyway, I call bollox.

15 minutes to do 5 miles, get off the bike, lock it up and start work. Nah.

Hip Priest

Veteran
But still, as @screenman said, if you are contracted to start at 9 then start at 9 you should. And that's not "arrive at 9, get changed, make a brew, log on, catch up on last night's TV and be running by 0930".

I start at 9am, so I tend to arrive at 8:45am, get changed, make a brew, log-on, catch up on last night's TV, catch up on Twitter, listen to a bit of music and be running by about 10:15am.

OP
OP
H

HOU5EY

I agree with screenman 100 % and that's partly why I posted here as I don't want to let my employer down and up until recently I've never been late in any job. I think the thing that gets me most is that it's literally a case of being 2 minutes late a couple of days a month or pay out over £100 when the majority of the time I can get there bang on 9

If I as a customer phone a company with an opening time of 9am, then I expect them to answer the phone at thst time.

I still cannot see how you can do your job the minute you get off the bike.

Get a hands free headset and divert calls to your mobile?

OP
OP
H

HOU5EY

How about asking another parent if they can keep an eye on your son for a few minutes every morning? Does he have any pals being brought in a few minutes earlier?

BTW What are you going to do if you get a puncture on your 5 mile sprint?

Yeah it will work itself out . I'm just waiting to find another parent locally one of his mates so we can come to an arrangement . Looks like I have a very stressful commute compared to some that do 20 miles +, must have to allow some extra time for a route like that

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I would seriously have a word with HR. See if you can arrive 5 minutes past 9 and take that 5 minutes of your lunch hour. Explain that you have childcare responsibilities and that you cannot afford a second car. 7 years in the same company must count for something. I bet that they owe you money anyway for 5 mins here and 10 mins there over 7 years that you have never booked. Might be worth reminding HR of that, especially if the 2 mins over is just occasional.
When I worked in the wonderful world of web work, there was a bit of flexibility for those with kids

OP
OP
H

HOU5EY

Does every company have a hr department, I know they are few and far In my trade.
Yeah we don't exactly have a department . What the boss says goes.

Can anyone tell me about cranksets, I ride a hybrid and as much as my average speed may be impressive it takes me a lot longer to get home on account of the majority of my commute is a down hill white knuckle ride. I have a 44,32,22 crank. How easy is it to buy a bigger crank? Do I just have to add more links to my chain or is there more to it?

Top Bottom