2 minute window

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is yet another reason I love my job, if I show up 5 minutes late no one cares. if I have to be an hour late I talk to boss in advance and its no big deal.

But I do carry a phone that could ring 24 hours a day and I am expected to answers it. If it is a more serious situation I am expected to fix it.
I normally get a few short calls a week, but over the holidays I had to stop in at work for a few hours and no overtime for me.

I worked with a super competent software developer, who came in - literally - an hour later each day. ie day 1, 8am. day 2, 9am etc. when he was working from mid afternoon to late evening, apparently his girlfriend would kick his butt, and he'd come in the next day at 8am and the pattern would repeat.

He was so competent that he once potentially but accidentally told 60,000 users to fark off (uncensored spelling), and did not suffer for it.

If you leave at 5 on the dot, it might be hard to justifying being in late, yet as others have said if you sometimes stay late to get the job done, flexibility should work both ways. If my boss started complaining about me being 2 minutes late I'd tell her where to stick the job. Yes, really.

screenman

Legendary Member
The company phone line opens at 9am, from what I gather the OP answers the phones. Put yourself in the customers shoes, most of us at some point might have been somewhere waiting for it too open.

Very few people work every minute they get paid for from what I see day to day. In fact at many of the places I work skiving by many is taken to a higher plane.

It must be very frustrating to get paid the same as the skiver sitting next to you at work, I know it would wind me up.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've done the parent rush to drop off at school stuff. We used to be pretty organised in the morning, but luckily I had got to know various parents by the time it started, so there were the occasional days when I would even drop my youngest off at a friends house to go in with them instead if I needed to be in earlier on occasion. (I'd return the favour too and take in their children or pick them up as necessary). I think that making friends with the other parents is the way to go if you want to carry on. Should get easier next year as they did pint want parents to go into the school in year 1 onwards.

spen666

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3471008, member: 45"]You're entitled by law to request flexible working. I'm sure they'd struggle to justify any claim that you starting and ending work 15 minutes later would cause any problems with business.[/QUOTE]

The would if he was a train driver and due to drive the 0900 train.

subaqua

What’s the point
The would if he was a train driver and due to drive the 0900 train.
He wouldn't be starting at 09.00 he would be starting earlier. And most of the TOCs are a little more flexible than the OP employer.

I used to work for a company that employed flexi time . Start anytime before 07.30 finish anytime after 18.00 .

Current employer is great. It's about what you do not the time shackled to desk

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Not had time to read all the posts but in my view, if your jib is at stake your options are to find another job ir find another means to get to work on time...i would suggest a scooter...fast, efficient and able to step off and start work...no cooling Down or showering required

[QUOTE 3476223, member: 9609"]My boss gets really annoyed if I'm still in bed after 9:30, she starts opening windows and reving up the hoover - pointless intimidation, wish I was a member of a union.[/QUOTE]
I think I have the same boss as you. I once had an exchange of views with my wife. I started the conversation with my views and ended it with hers.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I worked in a factory for 5 years, pre-university. The entire workforce used to start work 3 minutes after breaks and finish 3 minutes before them, which was in keeping with company rules. I found the scrambles for clocking in and out undignified so I used to start a few minutes early and finish a few minutes late. It made me feel that I had some control over my life, though I was really still jumping when told to jump!

At one job I did, we had everyone's barcode on a single strip of paper that ran through the time clock, clocking everyone on or off in a few seconds. I have no idea what we did when people were sick, or died, or quit.

spen666

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3476189, member: 45"]That's right. What's the point of your post?[/QUOTE]

I love you too

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A suggestion; you're doing this 3-mile ride on a hybrid. Borrow a road bike on a day off and try it; you'll notice a difference.

A colleague does the same commute as me; I take 30-35 minutes if I go direct. He takes 45-60.

The difference; he's on a hybrid and I'm on a road bike.

Crankarm

Guru
If no one has suggested it why can't you get the caretakers or head to open the school gates/doors 10 minutes earlier or at 8:30am like most schools which would give you time to get your little munchkin to school in time, get him settled and say goodbye then get yourself off to work in good time. Just a suggestion.

andyfraser

Über Member
A suggestion; you're doing this 3-mile ride on a hybrid. Borrow a road bike on a day off and try it; you'll notice a difference.

A colleague does the same commute as me; I take 30-35 minutes if I go direct. He takes 45-60.

The difference; he's on a hybrid and I'm on a road bike.
How much of that is down to different fitness levels? I'm generally 3 - 4 minutes quicker on my road bike for my 6 mile commute.

Drago

Legendary Member
I often moan about my employer, but this is one area they're pretty good. Being a carer for a disabled wife (and just as importantly registered with both the DWP and NHS as a carer) they've been very accommodating. The shift pattern I work means I'm never on duty for too many days at a time else the jobs I have to do such as cleaning, shopping, ironing, everything, stack up to the point where I can't keep on top of it all.

Top Bottom