2 month old headset bearings done.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sorry Eddy my mistake. I do get away on one wheer people say a jet wash should not go near a bike, but seeing as you did not say that please accept my apologies.

My excuse, I have just spent the day in Boston, which is I feel the most racist town ever. Very depressing.

U

User6179

Sorry Eddy my mistake. I do get away on one wheer people say a jet wash should not go near a bike, but seeing as you did not say that please accept my apologies.

My excuse, I have just spent the day in Boston, which is I feel the most racist town ever. Very depressing.

Cool mate , nice relaxing bath after a sh1t day usually works for me :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You are arguing against a point I never made , I was saying maybe the difference between the OP and you was that his bearings were not sealed and somehow water got into them , it happens , in the rain or with a hose or a sponge like when I washed my bike today , usually there is enough grease in there to prevent water ingress to the bearings but if they are not greased properly to start with then they might rust .

I have took out plenty of sealed bearings where the case is rusted but bearings are fine so water definitely gets into the headset .
The trouble with 'sealed' bearings is that once water has got in it takes ages for it to get back out.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Water mixed with grit and salt gets thrown up by the front wheel and some finds its way inside the lower headset area. Cleaning the bike upside-down is a big mistake because water will get inside top and bottom and will stay there and rust everything. Once it's in, water enters a cycle of evaporation and condensation and can't get out of the enclosed space so the general level of humidity is permanently high. Think of a beer glass that you wash then leave upside-down on the draining board.

Smaller bearings are sealed with a rubber seal reinforced with a thin steel liner but this can't be done in narrow, wide-diameter headset bearings so a hard plastic seal has to be used, which is not watertight at all. Once water gets inside the seal, your headset bearing is doomed unless you service the bike and find it rough then refurbish it, in which case you might be able to save yourself some money. Here's how:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buy80Fj-Afg

Ajax Bay

Guru
I just washed my good bike to put it away for the winter . . . as I hung it up water came running out the top of the headset
As a general point I also suggest it's well worth removing the seat post, turning the frame upside down (to let any liquid out, and cleaning the inside of the seat tube, as much/far as possible. Optionally, replace seat post once cleaned and copper slipped. I was surprised yesterday (shouldn't have been) when so much grimy water came out. I assume just rain and maybe a bit of water from a hose pipe (post clean) wash off getting in there.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As a general point I also suggest it's well worth removing the seat post, turning the frame upside down (to let any liquid out, and cleaning the inside of the seat tube, as much/far as possible. Optionally, replace seat post once cleaned and copper slipped. I was surprised yesterday (shouldn't have been) when so much grimy water came out. I assume just rain and maybe a bit of water from a hose pipe (post clean) wash off getting in there.
Of course a drain hole in the seat tube/bottom bracket would be far too simple. :whistle:

U

User6179

The trouble with 'sealed' bearings is that once water has got in it takes ages for it to get back out.

Aye my Shimano press-fit clicks for a few days after being out in the rain

Thanks , I usually remove the seat post on my bikes when I put them away for the next season but forgot yesterday , you just reminded me :okay:

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

I bought a Scott 950, exactly the same happened to me , back the shop it went , They replaced it but did such a bad job I ordered a new one and did it myself, been fine ever since . You never really know where your new bike has been from being built up to when you pick up.

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
So just thought I'd update.

I took the bike to my LBS to sort out my own mess. The mechanic sorted it in 3 hours completely Free and even replaced my rear brake cable because he noticed a kink in the inner cable, again completely free.

Fantastic service from Chesterfield Cycle Centre would recommend to anyone in the local area.

Top Bottom