2 month old headset bearings done.

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by steven1988, 30 Nov 2016.

Tags:
  1. steven1988

steven1988 Well-Known Member

I've had my scott speedster CX bike for the whole of 2 months, it's cleaned with a hosepipe after every ride.

Here's my issue the handle bars have gone really notchy with a squeaking noise when they are turned.

Question one could it be anything other than the headset bearings?

Question 2 do scott make their Bearings out of paper?

2. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

I wouldn't touch any of my bikes with a hose or jet wash, water ingress may have caused your headset issues.

Custom24 and Soltydog like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    steven1988

It's only ever on the frame never near the forks or BB Area. I don't see how water has got near it

4. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Never had that happen on one of my bikes in such a short time and I use the jet wash everytime I wash them.

5. Eddy

Eddy Guru

I just washed my good bike to put it away for the winter , gave it a dry down , I left it drying in the wind for a bit then I brought into the house where it hangs from a wall , as I hung it up water came running out the top of the headset , how it got in there I don't know as I washed the bike with a sponge but if I hadn't hung it up the water would of been stuck down there for the whole winter till it dried out.

6. Eddy

Eddy Guru

Sealed bearings ?

7. screenman

Are you kidding, I have been jet washing bikes for about 35 years, I am sure sealed bearings have not been around that long on bikes.

raleighnut and Eddy like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    steven1988

Does anyone have any tips on removing the fork and greasing it or should I just LBS??

9. Eddy

Eddy Guru

hhjester and Soltydog like this.
  10. Eddy

Eddy Guru

11. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

If you bought it new then take it back to the shop.

12. screenman

Are you sure it is not the cables, I have had a few mates make that mistake.

13. screenman

Eddy, do you take your bike out in the rain? is so what is the difference between that and using a jet washer correctly.

14. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this..........

Yes, do it and use some decent grease. Sounds like your bike may gave been assembled with very little grease and poor quality/badly spec'd grease at that. If you are washing the bike so regularly you probably need to be servicing the headset every 6 months or so. Definitely worth learning to do this yourself as it is relatively simple.
    Having said that, my all year, all weather commuter is now 5 years old and I think I have only done the headset twice and it is still working well. I have probably only washed the bike 3 times though.... :blush:

raleighnut likes this.
  15. Eddy

Eddy Guru

You are arguing against a point I never made , I was saying maybe the difference between the OP and you was that his bearings were not sealed and somehow water got into them , it happens , in the rain or with a hose or a sponge like when I washed my bike today , usually there is enough grease in there to prevent water ingress to the bearings but if they are not greased properly to start with then they might rust .

I have took out plenty of sealed bearings where the case is rusted but bearings are fine so water definitely gets into the headset .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice