2 month old headset bearings done.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steven1988

Veteran
I've had my scott speedster CX bike for the whole of 2 months, it's cleaned with a hosepipe after every ride.

Here's my issue the handle bars have gone really notchy with a squeaking noise when they are turned.

Question one could it be anything other than the headset bearings?

Question 2 do scott make their Bearings out of paper?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I wouldn't touch any of my bikes with a hose or jet wash, water ingress may have caused your headset issues.

screenman

Legendary Member
Never had that happen on one of my bikes in such a short time and I use the jet wash everytime I wash them.

U

User6179

It's only ever on the frame never near the forks or BB Area. I don't see how water has got near it

I just washed my good bike to put it away for the winter , gave it a dry down , I left it drying in the wind for a bit then I brought into the house where it hangs from a wall , as I hung it up water came running out the top of the headset , how it got in there I don't know as I washed the bike with a sponge but if I hadn't hung it up the water would of been stuck down there for the whole winter till it dried out.

U

User6179

Are you kidding, I have been jet washing bikes for about 35 years

Your arms must be pretty sore :biggrin:

screenman

Legendary Member
Eddy, do you take your bike out in the rain? is so what is the difference between that and using a jet washer correctly.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Does anyone have any tips on removing the fork and greasing it or should I just LBS??
Yes, do it and use some decent grease. Sounds like your bike may gave been assembled with very little grease and poor quality/badly spec'd grease at that. If you are washing the bike so regularly you probably need to be servicing the headset every 6 months or so. Definitely worth learning to do this yourself as it is relatively simple.
Having said that, my all year, all weather commuter is now 5 years old and I think I have only done the headset twice and it is still working well. I have probably only washed the bike 3 times though.... :blush:

U

User6179

Eddy, do you take your bike out in the rain? is so what is the difference between that and using a jet washer correctly.

You are arguing against a point I never made , I was saying maybe the difference between the OP and you was that his bearings were not sealed and somehow water got into them , it happens , in the rain or with a hose or a sponge like when I washed my bike today , usually there is enough grease in there to prevent water ingress to the bearings but if they are not greased properly to start with then they might rust .

I have took out plenty of sealed bearings where the case is rusted but bearings are fine so water definitely gets into the headset .

Top Bottom