2-way pedals - clipless one side - anyone used these?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
I saw an article about going clipless on today Graun website and there was this comment:

"I've got 2 way pedals: platform one side, SPD the other. Personally I prefer the platforms for commuting as I just find it a pain constantly unclipping at all the red lights but worse than that are the sudden stops you can't anticipate like pedestrians suddenly walking out from in front of bus etc.
"The SPD side gets it chance on the weekends except for Saturday morning tennis when I cycle to the courts in tennis shoes.
"The other reason for not going clipless fulltime is that I am also now too old for track standing; my knobbly old knees cannot do it anymore!
"However when it's wet I do commute with the SPDs as it doesn't half hurt if your shoe slips off the wet pedal and you get thwacked on the shin by an errant pedal."

I thought this might suit me and wondered what other people think? Might it be the worst of both worlds?

The article is here: http://www.theguardian.com/environm...s-why-you-dont-need-to-be-scared-of-switching and has some interesting comments.

MikeG

Guru
I used them for a while, but found I never used the flat side. I passed them on to my wife as a transition from her clipped pedals to clipless, but she'll soon put them on the shelf and revert to the normal double-sided SPDs.

TigerT

Veteran
I use them all the time. Never find it any problem switching sides. Very handy in situations when stopping and starting a lot. As above I bought them to get used to getting clipped in, but having tried other pedals, went back.

Shadowfax

I find them handy as I ride with the kids a fair bit which can involve a fair bit of pushing. Use the clipped sides otherwise, beats having to change pedals.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks for all your replies people - I can't believe I hadn't picked up on these things existing. For me it would be the ability to pedal in ordinary shoes, which I would always need to have the option for, and it's stopped me thinking about going clipless at all. The SPDs with platform surround sound like something I should investigate as well. And even though I'm not a fast rider, or a race rider, or even a long-distance rider, I do think clips might make life easier and get me around faster.

Of course I would have to buy the shoes, so I'll get searching for all the recommendations on the rest of the site!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've got the PD-T780 clip/flat pedals on one bike, largely because they have built-in reflectors. I use the SPD side mostly, and find that I can usually clip in first time without having to think about flipping the pedals as they are weighted to hang the right way.

I've tried the double-side caged pedals (M545), but didn't like them. I found that the cage made unclipping harder because the cage gripped the sole of the shoe, clipping in was a bit harder, and the clip mechanism stuck up above the cage and made using non-SPD shoes with no cleat recess uncomfortable.

Usually I've been using double-sided SPD (M530 currently, Time Atac & Eggbeaters before).

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3081335, member: 259"]I can't agree with that comment. I found them irritating. They were always on the wrong side and you had to flip them over.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I have the rather costly A600, they look good, are smooth, but really uncomfortable with flat shoes as they are too small (I have quite big feet) and they are ALWAYS the wrong way round

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
I've got the PD-T780 clip/flat pedals on one bike, largely because they have built-in reflectors. I use the SPD side mostly, and find that I can usually clip in first time without having to think about flipping the pedals as they are weighted to hang the right way.

I've tried the double-side caged pedals (M545), but didn't like them. I found that the cage made unclipping harder because the cage gripped the sole of the shoe, clipping in was a bit harder, and the clip mechanism stuck up above the cage and made using non-SPD shoes with no cleat recess uncomfortable.

Usually I've been using double-sided SPD (M530 currently, Time Atac & Eggbeaters before).

I was thinking about reflectors too as I commute in the dark in winter on rural unlit roads. Interesting to hear your experience with the caged pedals too, thanks.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I bought a set and used them for a while, until I decided I don't get on with SPDs. They give me foot cramps and sore knees, and yes I have tried all sorts of adjustments of cleats and saddle. Normal flats are much lighter than double siders, so I am back to them now.

Custom24

Über Member
M324 on both my bikes. Only thing I don't like about them is that you need an expensive tool to service the bearings. I don't have that tool yet. I think this applies to other Shimano pedals as well.
Having said that, the only reason I tried to service them was because I thought I'd got water in them from a hose. When I got them apart, there wasn't any - the seals are good. I then realised I needed to buy the tool to put them back together properly, and it was cheaper just to buy a new pair of pedals.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I once tried out a pair of 3-way pedals: SPD one side, SPD-SL the second and platform the third side. Needless to say, I didn't last long on these, because the hassle of changing over the cleats to switch between SPD and SPD-SL was too much.

Top Bottom