20 MPH Limits - what's your thoughts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last week whilst visiting relatives we had to drive thro a 20 mph zone past a school. It felt like time had stopped for that brief 100 metres. It must be sheer hell to live in Wales.
Oh it is! Stay away, you know it makes sense!

(And please avoid driving in Oxfordshire too. Thanks x)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Councils are not allowed to enforce speed, it being the job of the police. The police have been cut to the bone whilst regulations on visibility etc put 'freedom' above lives.

This really needs to change.

Where did I say that Councils enforce speed limits?

My point was that there appears to be zero enforcement, visible or otherwise.

Drago

Legendary Member
This link https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/schedule/10/made?view=plain suggests (according to my reading of it) that 20mph signs have a different format to 30, 40 etc mph speed limit signs.

I have seen a few, in my area (South Tyneside), but, have not actually measured them to ensure they comply exactly.

In my experience they are routinely ignored (even by buses), and, enforcement is zero.

I assume that speed detection equipment has an accuracy tolerance?, I do wonder if the currently common methods (eg Cameras and hand held 'speed guns" are actually capable of detecting infringement at 20mph?, my main reason for assuming they cannot, is the apparent lack of enforcement, which, could, I would suspect be a real money spinner, as well as improving road safety.

The hand held devices are capable of measuring the speed of a cyclist rolling at walking pace. I forget what they're max detection speed was, but there was no minimum.

classic33

Leg End Member
This link https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/schedule/10/made?view=plain suggests (according to my reading of it) that 20mph signs have a different format to 30, 40 etc mph speed limit signs.

I have seen a few, in my area (South Tyneside), but, have not actually measured them to ensure they comply exactly.

In my experience they are routinely ignored (even by buses), and, enforcement is zero.

I assume that speed detection equipment has an accuracy tolerance?, I do wonder if the currently common methods (eg Cameras and hand held 'speed guns" are actually capable of detecting infringement at 20mph?, my main reason for assuming they cannot, is the apparent lack of enforcement, which, could, I would suspect be a real money spinner, as well as improving road safety.
The size for Diagram 670 was 297mm, A4 paper size, now 300mm as shown there.
The signs, within the area covered, fail to meet that minimum size requirement makes it legally unenforceable.

albion

Guru
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2emq6j58zdo.amp

Strange why councils are in charge of parking and the police speeds. I suspect lots of those 'speed display boards' are semi-disconnected council ones.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
TfL introduced 20 limits all over the place some time ago, but nobody noticed as the traffic in S London never goes that fast.

It's noticeable that since 20mph has become pretty much standard around here, when you get to 30mph roads, Greenwich for example, the traffic doesn't race up to 30mph. People get used to the lower speed and often then ''dawdle'' somewhere around 27mph. (For 20, read 22, for 30, read 33.)

albion

Guru
Wales is now pulling back from it.

However, a Swansea councillor, I think said, 'no residents with roads at 20mph want the speed on their road increasing'
So essentially it may bring back the right to drive at a deadly seed past peoples houses.

Slick

Guru
Wales is now pulling back from it.

However, a Swansea councillor, I think said, 'no residents with roads at 20mph want the speed on their road increasing'
So essentially it may bring back the right to drive at a deadly seed past peoples houses.

My understanding was now they have trialled it, they are removing it on roads that 20 doesn't work.

albion

Guru
The link doesn't work for me.

Complaints? This archieve works at the moment. They seem to have deleted it!
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/south-wales-echo/20240405/281535116009247
My link, at the time, contained a very minor correction too, by the looks of it. It ws always fairly accurate, just that it got used by politicans.

Edit - On this, a comment via the political group 'The alliance of British Drivers' shouts out.
The Wales (Lies) Online propaganda post was STAGED with a paid member of SUSTRANS acting as a member of the public.
WOL News Item found here:
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/.../mum-says-can-now-weekly...
This is a gross fabrication of a newspaper TELLING LIES on behalf of WAG / SUSTRANS.
However, the public has seen through this and can see the cogs turning behind the 'Wizard of Oz' curtains.
IPSO Independent Press Standards Organisation
This must be reported to IPSO (Independent Press Standards Organisation) who deal with complaints about editorial material in publications, including; '

Last edited:
Top Bottom