20 MPH Limits - what's your thoughts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffee

Guru
Ah, Hylton Road.

I believe you are familiar with the area, so I can tell you why the road humps were installed.

A driver killed a child who had run out in front of him.

All the witnesses said the driver was going at well under the 30mph limit, and even the child's mother said the little lad had 'slipped her hand', so she attached no blame to the driver.

Even so, the speed humps appeared soon afterwards.

Hylton Road is, or rather was, a viable route out of Sunderland to the A19, so I don't doubt there were 'through drivers' driving much too fast.

I didn't know that.

I regularly have a tail back of cars when I drive up and down that road.

A number of years ago I witnessed a cyclist make a sudden turn and ride straight off the payment next to the zebra crossing at the turning to South Hylton. A car driven by a Reverend was so close that he had no chance of stopping. He took the cyclist out who went up on to the bonnet and broke the windscreen.

The cyclist jumped up got on his bike and rode off up the road. One shaken Reverend with quite a big bill to pay.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The cyclist jumped up got on his bike and rode off up the road. One shaken Reverend with quite a big bill to pay.
The Reverend should have had an insurance policy? If so, the bill was spread over us all, like all hit-and-runs and uninsured drivers, but cyclist hit-and-run damage probably costs less on average than motorist hit-and-runs.

Drago

Legendary Member
Speaking of speed limits, you just gotta love the Mail.

Their campaigning brought about the 70 MPH motorway speed limit.

Decades later when certain police forces have a "crackdown" and ruthlessly enforce the very speed limit the Mail called for the chipwrapper then decries the war on the motorist.

toffee

Guru
The Reverend should have had an insurance policy? If so, the bill was spread over us all, like all hit-and-runs and uninsured drivers, but cyclist hit-and-run damage probably costs less on average than motorist hit-and-runs.

He did have insurance. He wasn't bothered about the cost but actually only wanted to know if the cyclist was OK. Given the speed the cyclist left the scene I assume he was fine.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
He did have insurance. He wasn't bothered about the cost but actually only wanted to know if the cyclist was OK. Given the speed the cyclist left the scene I assume he was fine.

I think the flight reaction may be due to shock.

A cat went under my car and I heard a thump from the transmission tunnel.

Looking in the mirror I saw the cat do a couple of swift circles, then shoot off at top speed.

I thought I must have killed it, but I suppose the nine lives saying has some basis in fact.

D

Deleted member 26715

That could be the case, although it would be dangerous to assume every young cyclist is part way through a county lines drug delivery.
Errr, the thought had not even crossed my mind, wel not until now, not that I even really understand what it is

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Love Centerparcs (especially with kids) - and basically if you can afford to stay there - you're not going to bat an eyelid about a slightly dearer food shop. You can always bring your own food in anyway.
It's definitely not worth the trek back to your car and the slow drive down the looooooong driveway and then how long it takes to get to a cheaper shop and then repeat the trek all over again. It's a holiday !

I used to love going for a morning run and coming back from the bakery laden with goodies.

I've tried them in 5 countries and love the car-free concept, although the enforcement has slipped over the years, plus there are golf carts and high speed ebikes buzzing around.
Much better than petrol/diesel fumes, but i'd rather have peace and quiet.

I've tried them in 5 countries and love the car-free concept, although the enforcement has slipped over the years, plus there are golf carts and high speed ebikes buzzing around.
Much better than petrol/diesel fumes, but i'd rather have peace and quiet.

Ah that is annoying. Not been for a good while. They're no place for high speeds though. Needs snipers.

classic33

Leg End Member
Possibly true, but why should he have to pay for someone else's actions.

And for it to be spread over all drivers, the claim would have to be made via the MIB, who don't cover cyclists, yet.

Top Bottom