20 MPH Limits - what's your thoughts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As far as the signs are concerned our estate has 20 mph signs at the entrances
they are exactly the same as normal 30 mph signs

mind you anyone doing 20 in this estate is an idiot due to cars parked all over the place

same applies to the fairly main roads leading to where the grandkids live
That is normally ignored but the average speed is lower than it was before the signs went up

DRM

Guru
I wonder about the enforceability of 20mph limits from a legal standpoint.

When some were first introduced years ago, strictly the limit was 'advisory' because there was no provision in the Road Traffic Acts for a 20mph limit.

Hopefully, that's changed, but around here the handful of 20mph limits are only indicated by signing on the road surface.

Does anyone know of 20mph limits indicated by signs similar to 30mph limits?

That would indicate to me the limit is enforceable in the usual way.

Well, it wouldn't have been doing a ton on the motorway would it?

Yes, all over the various parts of Leeds, they’re on lampposts like 30 signs and same design, I’ve also seen them round Newcastle too

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sorry, but in a town, pavements are for people on foot and roads for any vehicle.
I beg to differ: plenty of parked cars on pavements around me, plenty on shared peds/bikes pavements too.
After the 9 to 5 brigate get home, if I want to walk someplace, I have to use the road for a good bit.
Early mornings, when I ride to work, using a shared pavement for a short stretch, you can bet there are cars parked on it.
if someone is walking down the road rather than the pavement

As for someone walking on the road rather than the pavement, then it is just sheer stupidity.
See above.

Does anyone know of 20mph limits indicated by signs similar to 30mph limits?
Yes, several here, including at the entrance of the estate I live in.
Mostly ignored.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, all over the various parts of Leeds, they’re on lampposts like 30 signs and same design, I’ve also seen them round Newcastle too
Some are undersized, around Quarry House and the bottom of The New York Road.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know the limit will be enforced in Wales, which is great. I'll be testing it out in September on my bike.The hate will all be targeted at cyclists. Nothing about protecting pedestrians from the driving public. Fun times.

PS I am riding in 30's in North Wales regularly, the car's aren't getting much more speed than 20 average.

Where I used to live in Bangor there is a long hill just before you get to town

at the bottom is the start of the 30 mph limit

which will - presumably - not be a 20 mph limit

I could defo pass a car at the bottom of that hill if they have to drop down to 20!!
same in Llandudno actually when I lived there!!

Jameshow

Veteran
It is more a contractual obligation - it isn't a legal obligation as such.

They don't have to be part of the "safety camera partnership" schemes, but it is a condition being a part of them should they choose to (which they all do).

The point is hat there is no law obliging them to publish the details, and they are not breaking any law if they don't.

The only legal obligation is to displace the speed limit at intervals dependant upon the speed limit.

Slick

Guru
I wonder... have any of the posters on this thread had a speeding offence?
Unfortunately, I was heading to Aberdeen for a job interview with my cruise control set at 70 exactly, when I totally failed to notice that I blasted passed a camera on the short stretch that has a 50 mph limit. Couldn't plead by letter as the speed was too high, so had to appear for the sake of an extra point. 4 points in total and a few hundred quid fine. Couldn't moan.

presta

Guru
The estate I live on has been 20mph for years, and also has speed humps. I'm not quite sure how long, it was sometime since I gave up driving in 2004, but not recent. It probably wasn't going to make much difference though, as this street's fairly quiet anyway.

Top Bottom