20 MPH Limits - what's your thoughts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DogmaStu

We are talking about roads here, not a public place for children and adults to play on. A 30 mph doesn't mean you have to do 30 mph. Any reasonable motorised driver will adjust his / her speed according to the conditions, I certainly do.

If everyone was reasonable we wouldn't need to worry but sadly, some cannot control themselves and must act selfishly. Just today I witnessed people driving at idiotic accelerating speeds in a Sainsbury's carpark where the recommended speed is 5mph.

To ensure greater compliance, sometimes we need what seem like draconian laws to some to force the bad apples into 'being reasonable' to ensure that they are driving at the conditions that would require a 20mph when they arise.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I see it as just another way to raise more money for the government through speed fines.
It's quite simple really. (Though I know it's not to some entitled car drivers). Stick to the speed limit and you won't get fined.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Sorry, but in a town, pavements are for people on foot and roads for any vehicle.

No. Think again.

Try going across a town as a pedestrian without crossing a road.

Try walking down a narrow pavement with traffic at 20 or 30 or 40 mph.

Public space is for everyone. We can choose how best to share it, but shared it most certainly is.

Motorways are the only roads your rule applies to.

If you want to drive unhindered by other peoples needs, go drive in one of those.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
SO - are people allowed to cross the road?

and if someone is walking down the road rather than the pavement
then what law/guideline are they breaking

Oh dear. I meant walking from a to b . Crossing the road is just a way of getting to the other side, not continuous walking. As for someone walking on the road rather than the pavement, then it is just sheer stupidity. And that's me done on that subject. :hello:

Drago

Legendary Member
With shared spaces and the like that isnindreasingly not the case.

For joggers and walkers on the country lanes around here that is not the case.

They're entitled to do so. It is not sheer stupidity to an exercise a lawful entitlement. Its the plums that fly around zero visibility corners at warp speed that are behaving stupidly.

We should not have to modify perfectly lawful, reasonable and healthy behaviour to accommodate people who choose to behave dangerously.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I wonder... have any of the posters on this thread had a speeding offence?

D

Deleted member 1258

I wonder... have any of the posters on this thread had a speeding offence?

Yes two, one in 1972 when I was riding a Triumph Speed twin 500, I can't remember how much over the limit I was, a second one in 1978 when I was riding a MZ250, I think it was 40 in a 30, I held up my hands and took the fines and points, no speed awareness courses those days.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wonder about the enforceability of 20mph limits from a legal standpoint.

When some were first introduced years ago, strictly the limit was 'advisory' because there was no provision in the Road Traffic Acts for a 20mph limit.

Hopefully, that's changed, but around here the handful of 20mph limits are only indicated by signing on the road surface.

Does anyone know of 20mph limits indicated by signs similar to 30mph limits?

That would indicate to me the limit is enforceable in the usual way.

I was riding a MZ250, I think it was 40 in a 30,

Well, it wouldn't have been doing a ton on the motorway would it?

D

Deleted member 1258

Well, it wouldn't have been doing a ton on the motorway would it?

:laugh::laugh::laugh: They used to sell a special edition that came with a certificate that stated it had managed a ton on their test track, the standard one would manage about 75-80 downhill with a following wind. ^_^

Top Bottom