20 MPH Limits - what's your thoughts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
As for someone walking on the road rather than the pavement, then it is just sheer stupidity.

As is their right. Roads are for the movement of people. That you believe they are exclusively for 2 tonne vehicles, to move 80kg individuals, shows all that has gone wrong with thinking on the subject.

IMG_2235.jpeg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
As is their right. Roads are for the movement of people. That you believe they are exclusively for 2 tonne vehicles, to move 80kg individuals, shows all that has gone wrong with thinking on the subject.

View attachment 694115

Richard Balantine said something similar in his book. Something along the lines of using a X tonne vehicle to move a X lb person X miles is akin to using a nuclear bomb on a fly. He wasn't wrong.
Cars/vans etc have their uses I don't disagree but for most people, it's downright bloody laziness.

D

Deleted member 26715

Compulsory 10 mph in Supermarket carparks with pedestrians having right of priority/way would also be another good step. In Walmarts in the US all their carparks have yellow hashings, cars have to yield to pedestrians.

Compulsory 10 mph in Supermarket carparks with pedestrians having right of priority/way would also be another good step. In Walmarts in the US all their carparks have yellow hashings, cars have to yield to pedestrians.

Long time since I have been there but doesn't Centre Parks say that cars must always give way to walker no matter what
and must clear off once they have unloaded - and go to the car park outside the main areas?

D

Deleted member 26715

Long time since I have been there but doesn't Centre Parks say that cars must always give way to walker no matter what
and must clear off once they have unloaded - and go to the car park outside the main areas?
Never been but seem like a good rule if they do, although are you not prisoners to their hugely inflated costs once you get there until your release date?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I'm all most sure we have no 20mph signs in my area..........if we have I missed them :blush:

Never been but seem like a good rule if they do, although are you not prisoners to their hugely inflated costs once you get there until your release date?

Yes - if you choose to buy stuff
I seem to remember the pubs are about normal prices - food and drink
shops are small and expensive but as you can take your own food and stuff then it is your choice

pool and slides etc always used to be free

Bike hire is not cheap but your can always take your own

They do try to give the impression that you are stuck on site - but you are not really - you can always go back to the car park and take the car out to get some cheaper shopping - although it would be a a walk if you are at the far end of the park

Oh dear. I meant walking from a to b . Crossing the road is just a way of getting to the other side, not continuous walking. As for someone walking on the road rather than the pavement, then it is just sheer stupidity. And that's me done on that subject. :hello:

Cool. Now you've got some spare time, have a read of the HC, or ideally Highways Act 1974 👍

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Ah, Hylton Road.

I believe you are familiar with the area, so I can tell you why the road humps were installed.

A driver killed a child who had run out in front of him.

All the witnesses said the driver was going at well under the 30mph limit, and even the child's mother said the little lad had 'slipped her hand', so she attached no blame to the driver.

Even so, the speed humps appeared soon afterwards.

Hylton Road is, or rather was, a viable route out of Sunderland to the A19, so I don't doubt there were 'through drivers' driving much too fast.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just chiming in :smile:
one speeding ticket when they changed the limit form 40 to 30 on a single carriageway road between 2 villages , i was merrily doing 40 and got caught .No excuses so i paid my fine and got the 3 points which was probably 10 years ago so they are spent , after that i vowed never to be caught out again .
As for the speed limits its hard enough stopping drivers from overtaking when im doing 30 in a 30 (downhill i might add...) let alone trying to stop them exceeding 20 will be a complete waste of time .

Love Centerparcs (especially with kids) - and basically if you can afford to stay there - you're not going to bat an eyelid about a slightly dearer food shop. You can always bring your own food in anyway.
It's definitely not worth the trek back to your car and the slow drive down the looooooong driveway and then how long it takes to get to a cheaper shop and then repeat the trek all over again. It's a holiday !

I used to love going for a morning run and coming back from the bakery laden with goodies.

Top Bottom