20 mph urban limits coming.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

Some truly twatty pro-speeding comments below:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article3941769.ece

The speed limit on thousands of residential roads will be reduced to 20mph under government moves designed to cut road deaths by a third over the next decade.
Variable limits will be introduced on main roads near schools, with digital signs ordering drivers to cut their speed to 20mph or less when pupils are arriving or departing.
Cameras that detect a vehicle’s average speed will be used instead of road humps to enforce the limit in some of the new 20mph zones.
More than 3,000 people die on the roads each year, including motorists, passengers, cyclists and pedestrians. The target, to be reached by 2020, is expected to be set at about 2,000 deaths.

domtyler

Über Member
In theory, and at face value, that is great news. ;)

The twenty limits will also encourage many more people to take to two wheels and/or two feet.

domtyler

Über Member
User1314 said:
For me the issue isn't about introducing a speed limit as much as enforcing it.

As mentioned above they are planning to replace the sledgehammer (road humps) with the scalpel (average speed cameras).

Tynan

Veteran
I do a section on a 20mph limit road, flashing signs, faux virtual humps and a long straight hill, I regularly touch 30mph on it and still get overtaken

ChrisKH

Guru
domtyler said:
Let's see how badly they manage to fuck it up though eh? ;):angry::smile:

Then again let's look at the positive side. Slower speeds mean fewer deaths and safer roads for non-motoring users.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Bring it on!! In fact I'd call for a 10mph limit between 8:45 & 9:15 around schools.
I notice that some motorists don't see enforcements coming to the fore in order to combat a rise in careless driving.

The Lollypop Ladies at my daughters school now have to have PCSO's on duty to deter idiot drivers who see our children as an inconvenience on their roads, and hurl verbal abuse as well as being threatening with their vehicles.
Unfortunately the worst offenders tend to be idiot WVM who most likely have no kids of their own.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mr Pig said:
Exactly. We already have 20mph limits on all of the side/residential roads but they get ignored.

Exactly what I thought when I heard this on the news - drivers over here speed with impunity already in 30 zones, so how the chuff changing the limit to 20 will do any good, I've no idea.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

tdr1nka said:
Bring it on!! In fact I'd call for a 10mph limit between 8:45 & 9:15 around schools.
I notice that some motorists don't see enforcements coming to the fore in order to combat a rise in careless driving.

The Lollypop Ladies at my daughters school now have to have PCSO's on duty to deter idiot drivers who see our children as an inconvenience on their roads, and hurl verbal abuse as well as being threatening with their vehicles.
Unfortunately the worst offenders tend to be idiot WVM who most likely have no kids of their own.

Suff like that makes me killy.

domtyler

Über Member
User1314 said:
It appears the average speed camers work by being sited at specific entry and exit points on roads.

The location of these cameras will be the key.

But I'll certainly be driving at 20mph with a big smile on my face...

I think it would be sensible to predict that the camera technology will continue to become more and more refined over the years. Ultimately we need machines that can pin point dangerous driving, by analysing the style and behaviour in real time. It would need to operate on a number of metrics like speed of acceleration, average distance to the car in front etc.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Did you read the speed apologists comments?

There's the twatty old "red flag" remark, and comparisons with Stalin.

Top Bottom