20" wheels for a Dawes Kingpin.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Help please!

I'm getting in a bit of a tis with 20" wheels for my Dawes Kingpin project.

I have three pairs of wheels from three Kingpins ( don't ask) only one pair is any good and they are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but they'll probably do.

However, I have been searching on line for some new 20" wheels in chrome but I can't find any, so the next best thing is modern wheels. My confusion comes from tha there seems to be a few different sizes of 20" wheels! GAH!

I think the wheels on the Kinpin are 500A size, but I don't know how that relates to modern wheels.

What size wheels do I need if I but new?

Or should I do the best I can with the wheels I've got?

Or should I have the wheels I've got rebuilt with modern spokes?

Thank you for help.

Sincerely

Confused & frustrated from Bicester.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Come ON! I haven't got all day!

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I think I have now answers my own question. I took one of the wheels to my LBS, and he reckons they will be fins as they are and once I have chosen the best two out of the 6 I have he will tweak them up and replace any spoke as necessary. He is of the opinion I should try to keep the bike as original as possible.

Something else I learned today. Sturmey Archer gears are date stamped.

hatherton_wood

Best to stick to 500A which is the size they were designed for - you will have trouble with the mudguards and brakes with any other.. The only problem is they are no longer available new and there is virtually no choice in tyres. But you can find secondhand wheels. The later rear wheels had 28 spokes - best to find an earlier 36 spoke one which is less prone to collapse due to broken spokes.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Best to stick to 500A which is the size they were designed for - you will have trouble with the mudguards and brakes with any other.. The only problem is they are no longer available new and there is virtually no choice in tyres. But you can find secondhand wheels. The later rear wheels had 28 spokes - best to find an earlier 36 spoke one which is less prone to collapse due to broken spokes.

I had a feeling that would be the case, many thanks for your answer.

I have three pairs of wheels from three kingpins from different eras all 36 spoke except for one front wheel which is 32, this does not have a dynohub on it.

Top Bottom