Dawes Kingpin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know there is not many on here with an affection for old shopper bikes, but i will post it anyhow.

picked up a 1975 Dawes Kingpin that had been in storage since 1985, got it from a guy that restores morris minors and minis, it came to him as part of a lock up clearance that he bought, its had its first clean up in a long time today, all original apart from I had to put new tubes in, I think the matching blue grips and outer cables look good, I am sure @EltonFrog will approve of the colour, only thing to sort out is the toggle chain is solid , no movement whatsoever. currently drowned the hub with plus gas. it will be staying all original, heres a coule of pics.
bkp1.jpg

bkp2.jpg

bkp3.jpg

a.twiddler

Veteran
That looks really nice. I'd be almost afraid to ride it. (But not quite....).

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I know there is not many on here with an affection for old shopper bikes, but i will post it anyhow.

picked up a 1975 Dawes Kingpin that had been in storage since 1985, got it from a guy that restores morris minors and minis, it came to him as part of a lock up clearance that he bought, its had its first clean up in a long time today, all original apart from I had to put new tubes in, I think the matching blue grips and outer cables look good, I am sure @EltonFrog will approve of the colour, only thing to sort out is the toggle chain is solid , no movement whatsoever. currently drowned the hub with plus gas. it will be staying all original, heres a coule of pics.
View attachment 661382

View attachment 661384

View attachment 661385

That looks ACE, I’m rather partial to a blue Kingpin, me. I hope that’s a keeper? I currently have two KP’s I did have four plus Two Puch shoppers as well, but they’re gone now.

midlife

Guru
Nice :smile:. I recognise the rear light but what’s the front light ? Way better than the awful one that would match the rear.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
That’s the nicest one I’ve seen for a long time. Did it cost many monies?
what would you think i paid for it.
Nice :smile:. I recognise the rear light but what’s the front light ? Way better than the awful one that would match the rear.
I have the matching front but like you , I am not a huge fan, ........expensive that front light was........... £4 from wish , takes two weeks for delivery, its second one ive had , more than happy with them , quite bright, static or flashing, takes two AA' battery's

figbat

Slippery scientist
Having seen it on the Facebook group it's good to see it here too! I have a Kingpin in shabby-but-sound condition (it made it to Oxford and back recently, a total of around 40 miles, accompanied by various other Kingpins and small-wheelers) and an Elswick-Hopper Cosmopolitan in fully-resto-modded condition. Yours is a nice example.

Top Bottom