200%totally confused about which bike to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kyuss

Veteran
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Now, if thisBianchi frame at 61cm is available I might be tempted because it is a LOT cheaper than the kineses grand fondo. However looking at the Bianchi geometry chart for the via nirone alu carb it says that the 61cm top tube is 58.5cm..the same as my galaxy. The bianchi 59cm has a top tube of 57.5cm (same as the kineses grand fondo 60cm)

So I am confused. Is Bianchis sizing directly comparable? I see the imaginary level top tube line on the diagram, this makes me think it should be comparable...so why the difference in top tube length?

I think you're mixing up actual and effective/horizontal top tube lengths because the 60 Gran Fondo has a 58.2 effective/horitontal top tube, not 57.5, which means it's closer to the 58.5 effective/horizontal measurement on the 61 Bianchi and your current galaxy.

The angle of slope on a top tube will effect how long the actual top tube length is but it doesn't really give you a very good idea of physical reach which is why effective/horizontal lengths are also quoted, so bikes can be better directly compared for size irrespective of top tube angle.

For instance, two bikes with identical effective/horizontal measurements (and therefore reach to the bars) could differ in their actual top tube measurements by as much as 2-3cm due to the angle of the sloping top tube.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Thanks..(again)...so I probably couldn't get away with a 59cm bianchi then?

Gary D

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Thanks..(again)...so I probably couldn't get away with a 59cm bianchi then?

I think "get away with" probably sums it up :biggrin:. It could possibly be made to fit you - subject to the type of stem and seatpost you fitted. However, it wouldn't be ideal.

For comparison, I am 6' 1 1/2" tall but I am quite long in the body and arms but shorter in the leg. I have a 58cm Bianchi 928 C2C (same effective TT length as the 59cm Via Nirone) and it "sort of" fits me. Following a fitting session at Paul Hewitts, (which I posted about in another of your threads on this subject :blush:) in reality, I should have bought the 61cm to give me a longer top tube. The fitting session indicated a 588mm top tube would be ideal whereas my 58cm frame has 575mm.

It is easy to get fixated on theoretical dimensions as kyuss has already said, and then trying to compare different manufacturers data, but there are too many other variables to consider.

As I said before, with the dilemma you are in and the risk of you going round and round in circles, you really should get yourself up to Paul Hewitts and get measured - you will definitely not regret it.

Gary.

P.H

Über Member
Gary D said:
you really should get yourself up to Paul Hewitts and get measured - you will definitely not regret it.

If he had a pound for everytime someone's said that in the last six months, it'd have paid for a taxi to Leyland, a measuring session and probably a decent set of wheels;)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

It's just to far and expensive...somewhere north of Manchester...it's not going to happen for me, although I agree it makes sense.

Gary D

P.H said:
If he had a pound for everytime someone's said that in the last six months, it'd have paid for a taxi to Leyland, a measuring session and probably a decent set of wheels;)

I know. Doesn't hurt to persist though. Maybe he will see the light soon eh?? :biggrin: :blush:

Mine isn't an off-the-cuff suggestion - it is based on a real experience - so I had thought it would be more likely to be taken on board.

Gary.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Well I can forget about the Bianchi frame...Evans (what a joke) advertise this frame on special offer in the sale...I em them asking if they have it...they reply saying they can order one from Bianchi..I reply asking if Bianchi have one given that they no longe rmake the 2008 frames...guess what...not they dont have it and can only get a 2009 frame...so the advert for the 2008 frame in the sale is incorrect...I suspect jus there to lure in sales for the 2009...bloody bike shops...cant trust any of them I say.

...right so it's back to the Kineses....they have just confirmed the frame has a 3 year warrenty (compared to the life time warrenty oin the Orbea) and that although there is no specific weight limit if I am a very heavy rider I should seek a 'more robust' frame...hmm...so once again I get no direct answers to direct questions from dealers...sometimes I despair...really.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I am 6'3" but i have long legs...so..I'm still thinking Bianchi 59cm with a 57.5cm effective top tube. Why?

...well my Galaxy is a 58.5cm effective TT (C>C) I have a 10cm stem and the saddle is as far forward as possible (it just fits). This still leaves me thinking I need longer cranks than th e175mm's fitted currently as my saddle isnt far enough back. If I move the saddle back to where my lower leg is vertical when the cranks are horizontel and I am clippe din then the reach is to far and I would then need an even shorter stem!

The bianchi 61cm has the same(58.5cm) effective TT as my galaxy so I would anticpate the same issue with saddle position and stem length. The 59cm bianchi has an effective TT of 57.5cm which would allow me to pull the saddle back (there by correcting my lower leg position without going to longer cranks) and I could use a 11 0r 12 cm stem. Th etrade off would be lower bar height and more seat post exposure I guess.
I would have gone for the 57.5 effective TT on the Kinesis 60cm so why would I take a 58.5 ona 61cm Bianchi?;):-
In which case I could possibly fit this Bianchi instead:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products...carbon-ultegra-triple-2008-road-bike-ec016048

?;):wacko::tongue::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Chris James

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
...well my Galaxy is a 58.5cm effective TT (C>C) I have a 10cm stem and the saddle is as far forward as possible (it just fits). This still leaves me thinking I need longer cranks than th e175mm's fitted currently as my saddle isnt far enough back. If I move the saddle back to where my lower leg is vertical when the cranks are horizontel and I am clippe din then the reach is to far and I would then need an even shorter stem!

This all sounds very confusing. If you are going for knee over pedal spindle (KOPS) setup then surely if you had longer cranks you would have to move your saddle further forwards rather than backwards?

Also, the bit about your lower leg being vertical .... your lower leg will not be vertical unless your saddle is miles too far back as you need to take into account the size of your feet! With KOPS there is a vertical line from the bottom of your knee cap through the ball of your foot with the cranks forward and horizontal. But your lower leg will be off vertical in that case.

For bike setup the you need to get your body correct with respect to the cranks and then just fit whatever length stem is required to give the reach you want. Having said that it isn't an exact science and presumably your setup must feel okay to you if you got on okay during your recent tour?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..yes it felt 'ok' on th erecent tours...the galaxy is a fine bike and loaded up I wouldnt want to ride any thing else. However it is set up for more sitty up comfort and not a more speedy position...which I want from a new bike...but still to be comfy for longer rides...confused...yep...for sure..thats exactly what i am...SO........

....I just took a trip out to a dealer who had a 2009 bianchi and sat on it...it had a 120 stem and in the more racy position it fitted fine...I now know I need a 61cm Bianchi....gorgeous bike ...really sexy...

Chris James

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
..yes it felt 'ok' on th erecent tours etc

I understand that, I just got a bit confused with your saddle fore and aft business!

With the bars lower relative to your saddle then you will have to bend over more, so will require more reach. Glad you now know what size bike you need!

I get the impression from this thread that you are probably happier buying a complete bike then building up a project (I would be, if I am honest). If you like the Bianchi and can afford it then just go for it. You can spend a lifetime prevaricating and then just as a decision gets near they change the range! The Bianchi looks a nice bike and fits your desire to have a Italian road machine. And as you said, you wanted a Bianchi all along so are very unlikely to be unhappy with your purchase as it sounds like you set your heart on one ages ago.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

ok...ready for this chaps....

...wait for it.....

.I just bought this in Celeste 61cm
http://www.evanscycles.com:80/produ...loce-10-speed-compact-2008-road-bike-ec000023

:smile::smile::biggrin:

...blimey...thats the second bike I bought this week!

Hopefully it's the right decision, it is afterall the bike I have lusted over most of last year....well that and a few others...but this is a good comprimise for me. I get a great new bike that fits and an old steel frame to build up and with any luck still have a bit of cash left to do a small tour next year as well.

...2 weeks until the bike arrives.....feels like xmas!:biggrin:

Thanks once again for all of your kind and Patiant help:smile::smile:

Top Bottom