2000 - 2010 Road Casualty Map

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Well I'd take this with a pinch of salt ... according to the map there's been three fatalities on my road alone, I've lived here 20 odd years and not a single accident has happened on this stretch of road, that's resulted in an ambulance being called, the two I know of, were small fender benders in icy conditions.

Even the road next to it has seven fatalities showing and I only know of one accident where the passenger was taken to hospital, but that was at night and all in that car were over the drink drive limit and all lived.

so make of it what you will :rolleyes:

dawesome

Far from all road deaths are reported.

dawesome

I'm not sure where you got that info. Far more people are seriously injured on Britain's roads than the government figures suggest. Analysis by the UK Statistics Authority, the watchdog for official data, reveals"the under-reporting of road accident casualties is a significant and intractable problem"[78Kb PDF].

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2009/07/map_of_the_week_road_crash_vic.html

Instead of 26,000 people suffering serious injury after road accidents last year, the Department for Transport accepts that the true figure may be closer to 50,000. And the UKSA fears that the under-counting may mean the issue does not get the attention it deserves.

"The published statistics may not be sufficiently reliable to meet all user needs", the authority argues, demanding that the Department for Transport "explain and contextualise the limitations of the statistics more fully at the time of publication".

This matters because the level of carnage caused by drivers shapes road safety policy. As the authority puts it today: "These statistics are used... to save lives and reduce injury on the roads."

If twice as many people as previously chronicled are suffering serious injury, the arguments for greater use of measures to target bad and reckless drivers become more compelling.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Took me ages to open (my broadband is playing up) but from what I can see its far more dangerous to drive than to ride. On my route there have been approximately 10 cycle deaths in 10 years compared to over what looks like 100 or so vehicle related.

mumbo jumbo

3 deaths and 28 serious injuries on my main commute route (not checked all my routes yet). Only two involved cyclists, both serious injuries. Interestingly, both happened on the same short stretch of one way street with a contraflow cycle lane. Drivers joining from side roads tend (perhaps understandably) only to look where the vehicular traffic is coming from, not realising there is a bike contraflow. I've had a couple of very near misses on that road myself.

Will1985

Über Member
My two green circles are not on the map, despite being hospitalisations with police involved.

Looking locally to me the map is also missing several fatalities at two major crossroads, one of which was changed to a RAB in 2008 and hasn't seen a single accident since.

david1701

no deaths I could find on any of the roads I use often 2 or 3 serious injuries but the minors stack up a bit :s

Makes sense I spose, on these roads I think the odds are higher that you'll hurt yourself crashing than be hit by a car. I know I've come off a few times but never car related

david1701

Took me ages to open (my broadband is playing up) but from what I can see its far more dangerous to drive than to ride. On my route there have been approximately 10 cycle deaths in 10 years compared to over what looks like 100 or so vehicle related.

but are there only 10 drivers to every cyclist? it might actually be worse to be on the bike

OP
OP
Dronespace

Dronespace

Regular
Looking through other busy roundabouts / intersections, not surprised to see a lot of icons in Elephant & Castle...

Taking into account that the map most likely is missing a number of accidents, will any of you be changing your routes? Or from your experience your current routes are as safe as they can be??

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
but are there only 10 drivers to every cyclist? it might actually be worse to be on the bike
but those drivers are travelling at very low speeds in the rush hour crush...so how come so many fatal crashes, I dont wish to sound flippant (these are real people's lives we're talking about) but how do so many fatal crashes occur at an average speed of 8mph?

Top Bottom