2005 Specialized Sirrus Elite crank snapped: Replace just cranks or full drivetrain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Yeah, the guy in the LBS is going to fit Shimano (forget which one - I'll ask when I pick it up) but it'll be a lot stronger, so should last a good long while. :okay:

Reading another thread, I'm wondering if I shouldn't get the rear cassette replaced too (although that's a few years younger as I upgraded the wheels a few years after buying it)?

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Ah, yes that would be handy ... if I'd taken some. :whistle: I'll give the mechanic a ring tomorrow and see what he thinks; seemed a like knowledgeable / trustworthy chap when I booked it in.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Sorted. The new crankrings are smaller so they've replaced the rear cassette to match ratios, giving me the same gear length as before; they've replaced the rear derailleur jockey wheels and it's got a new chain. :okay:

Runs lovely and smooth and I think it has slightly different length cranks which feel a touch more comfortable; I suspect they're a little shorter but it could just be the "newness" factor at work. ^_^

Mr Celine

Discordian
Due to the constant cold weather and the cooncil continually chucking vast quantities of salt on the roads I've had to spend more time cleaning the chain etc, which normally includes a quick wipe over of the cranks. Had I not been doing this I wouldn't have spotted the crack in my drive side crank. It is a sugino crank fitted to a Spesh Sirrus, the exact same crank as the mighty @Shaun destroyed.
crack1.jpg

crack2.jpg

Harder to photograph from an angle it shows up in than it was to spot in the flesh.

I had a spare triple chainset left over from an upgrade to my Sunday bike, I just had to remove the square taper bottom bracket from the Sirrus, replace it with a hollowtech one and swap the chainrings over.

Test ride completed, it's even a noticable improvement as there is now no chain rub on the front derailleur.

Top Bottom