2008 - How was it for you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niall Estick

A pretty momentous year by all accounts but bar Obama and Team GB Cycling 2008 has been one of the worst years of my life.

Start of 2008 coincided with an avalanche of College work.

Then College wanted to stop me progressing into my final year which I had to appeal against (I succeeded).

The scrote who knocked me off my bike pleaded not guilty (but changed his plea the day before the court date)

Then I got ill which has stopped me riding for the most of the year

Then a friend died in a car crash

10 days later my Dad died.

So thanks 2008 but don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Niall,

Life is best lived going forward.

all the best for 2009 wor kid!

Dan.

Globalti

Legendary Member
More nails in the coffin as my wife nagged and insulted me worse than ever.

Expensive but boring ski holiday in dull, un-challenging resort.

Crap summer weather meant little riding.

Best school pal died suddenly.

Most stressful year at work in 20 years after a colleague resigned, leaving us to pick up the disasters he had created. Raw material prices then burgeoned disastrously adding to our misery and creating bad feeling with agents and customers alike, as well as losing some important business.

OP
OP
N

Niall Estick

On the bright side:

I'm still in College, the work load isn't as bad and look set to qualify in the Summer

My health is improving

The scrote pleaded guilty

My friend's death has made the rest of us appreciate one another more.

My Dad isn't suffering any more and we both managed to say what we needed to say.

Winter always turns to Spring.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Mine? Well, it only started on March 2nd after suffering for the last 91 days with shingles and only had 10 days riding that month. I bought a new bike in April - a Trek 7200 hybrid - a nice bike in a coppery bronze colour but after only 541.9 kms was killed by a Bangkok bus along with a new top, a helmet that I bought the day before and an ATC2K camera! Virtually no damage to me but I remember nothing of the incident. A few days later, it was a trip to ProBike to get a replacement - another Trek 7200 (The bus insurance company paid out within days!)
A few good months followed and then we had the wet season and it was wet! I don't cycle in the rain nor do I after very heavy overnight thunderstorms.
I'm ending the year on a high note (I hope that I haven't spoken too soon!). I have ridden on 23 of the last 24 days and am feeling great! I'm not happy about my weight loss but it took a long time to put on so it will take time to come off.
Next year? I want to increase my distance, do longer rides and get another bike. I'm planning to ride from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and back. The provisional plan is 5 days to Chaing Mai (about 750kms), my wife travelling to Chaing Mai by train and spending the weekend with me and then 5 days cycling home: the back up plan is to get the train back with my wife.

ChrisKH

Guru
Sorry to hear that Niall. It can only get better.

Fairly shoot year myself. My father also died and I have yet to finish probate. I just can't face it to be honest. You think at 45 and recently orphaned :evil: you would be ready for this sort of thing. :biggrin:

Hopefully next year will be better. No, I know it will be. Here's to 2009.

mr Mag00

rising member
one to forget in Mag00 household for many reasons, but some great moments too and heres to '09

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, it's had its ups and downs, but I couldn't have had the down without the up, and I wouldn't have missed the up for anything...

And at the end of the day, this little chap always cheers me up:

S7001958.jpg

Top Bottom