2008 Specialized Langsters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amrushton

erhaps you should be loking at Giants entry into the fixed world. The 'Bowery', £350 with muguard eyes and drop brakes. Alu frame, but a whole fixed bike for less money

OP
OP
S

starseven

Like this Bowery

peejay78

totally agreed - nail on the head.

judging by the name and geometry, the bowery shares the same incestuous, twisted, satanic birthright as the wrongster.

gkerr4

peejay78 said:
totally agreed - nail on the head.

judging by the name and geometry, the bowery shares the same incestuous, twisted, satanic birthright as the wrongster.

why - why shouldn't you use a compact frame for a fixie???

Not being funny, but I wouldn't be seen dead on some steel, horizontal top tubed, 70's throw-back frame - including those fuji things - they deserve to be in the museum not on the roads.

and how is the langster geometry useless - it';s the same as the allez - probably the most successful entry level road bike out there.

you guys are unreal - it's just a bike! - I have done a few miles on mine since I git it - I love it - I have hardly touched the road bike since I got it. It is lightweight, functional, feels fast and has excellent handling it barely needs maintaing and in comparison to my roadbike I can lock it up anywhere without constantly wondering if it will be there when I get back - for £349 it's a bargain!

OP
OP
S

starseven

I think the text with the picture said said optional, thats not unusual with fixed ie: no brakes when riding fixed , flip the wheel and run singlespeed will require at least one brake. I would imagine most will be set up a singlespped with two brakes.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
gkerr4 said:
why - why shouldn't you use a compact frame for a fixie???

Not being funny, but I wouldn't be seen dead on some steel, horizontal top tubed, 70's throw-back frame - including those fuji things - they deserve to be in the museum not on the roads.

and how is the langster geometry useless - it';s the same as the allez - probably the most successful entry level road bike out there.

you guys are unreal - it's just a bike! - I have done a few miles on mine since I git it - I love it - I have hardly touched the road bike since I got it. It is lightweight, functional, feels fast and has excellent handling it barely needs maintaing and in comparison to my roadbike I can lock it up anywhere without constantly wondering if it will be there when I get back - for £349 it's a bargain!
No it's not!

It's cheaper to buy a secondhand some steel, horizontal top tubed, 70's throw-back frame

peejay78

"including those fuji things - they deserve to be in the museum not on the roads."

this is funny! you made me laugh - out loud, even.

fuji's aren't that odd, they're fairly standard. to be reasonable (not my strong point when debating the finer points of the wrongster with it's woeful shape and nasty gothic letraset, not to mention the 'any colour you like as long as it's dogshit brown', 45 degree sloping top-tube and new limited london edition frame - about as cool as the sex pistols reunion a few years back) it's not wrongsters that are the problem, it's the gimlets riding hideously aggressive track frames round central london - the ones with splayed and curvy seat-tubes and barely a blue rizla's clearance betwixt wheel and frame, often with no brake and no front teeth to match.

oh, and not saying you shouldn't use compact geometry for a fixed wheel bike, you can if you like, but it's 'wrong', wrong as in the moustache and vest combo, incest, folk-dancing, this, mullets, that sort of thing.

hichakhok

zimzum42 said:
No it's not!

It's cheaper to buy a secondhand some steel, horizontal top tubed, 70's throw-back frame

No It's not, unless you have a shed full of parts. ( i have a fixed beater from the dump built thus) I picked up my steel pinarello for about £150. The final build cost was about £1000. Yes I splashed out on nice gear. But you would be really hard pushed to pull in a self build under £350 with all new wheels, hubs, cranks. Also factor in about £100 of tools needed and time spent solving chain line issues which can get tricky with old italian and french frames. Langster is a great buy imo.

Anyway, using the word Spazz (got a spastic uncle thanks very much) and equating buying a brand of bike with incest shows you to be an offensive and rather sad dick-head.

peejay78

edited.

as for the bike/incest thing - lighten up, it's your first post, unless that's also a bit close to home, in which case i apologise.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
hichakhok said:
No It's not, unless you have a shed full of parts. ( i have a fixed beater from the dump built thus) I picked up my steel pinarello for about £150. The final build cost was about £1000. Yes I splashed out on nice gear. But you would be really hard pushed to pull in a self build under £350 with all new wheels, hubs, cranks. Also factor in about £100 of tools needed and time spent solving chain line issues which can get tricky with old italian and french frames. Langster is a great buy imo.

Anyway, using the word Spazz (got a spastic uncle thanks very much) and equating buying a brand of bike with incest shows you to be an offensive and rather sad dick-head.

er, but for fear of poking a troll...

where do i mention 'spazz' or incest?

gkerr4

Edited post peejay?? :-)

anyway - sorry for the dig at fuji's - I don't really care what you ride and I enjoy my langster and I don't care what you think about it - or zimzum for that matter.

One thing that has started to disturb me a bit is how often I have been rejecting the 'best' bike in order to use the wrongster/langster/funster/whatever... - and the thought running through my head about the fixed becoming my new 'best' bike - perhaps not the langster, but perhaps something else...

the geared bike feels, I dunno - heavy and as if it is full of 'friction' somehow - I think the flywheel effect on the fixed feels missing. The other thing that bugs me is how well the langster fits me. The fixed on the other hand, feels fast and nimble and light although it can be hard work into the wind and my legs take a bit of recovering from a longish run on it - which they haven't felt taxed for a while on the geared bike!

peejay78

zim - it was me who used the words spazz and suggested wrongster geometry was as wrong as incest. i edited the OP in response to hichakhok, removing the word "spazz" for causing offence. in turn he/she felt it was ok to call me a sad, offensive dickhead. i can't be arsed to explain the reasons why their post is inapropriate, it would take too long, and provoke a similar lengthy and misguided diatribe in response. i blame langsters for all this seething resentment, for middle east conflict, global warming, low adult literacy and spurs' poor start to the season.

i'm acutely aware - as are most others by now - of my irrational prejudices against wrongsters and bromptons, i think it's denial, concealing a deep-seated lust for those shiny mishaped sexual slabs of unrequited cylomania.

i use my fixed wheel for everythign bar long rides with subtantial hills, at which point common sense prevails, at least whilst pushing a 72". you comment about fujis was funny. my response was apparently not funny.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
72"?

I saw you last year and you were going up hampstead, no?

I go up there with 80". I'm not saying it's easy, but i don't get off.

Can't think of any hills in the SE where you'd have to leave the fixie at home....

Top Bottom