200miles in a day - Training/nutrition advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Great. Anecdote

No, I'm blood sugar testing before food and before bed (4 times a day) so it is more than an anecdote. The meter doesn't lie.

My T1 friend who has been struggling with control and is on an insulin pump switched his eating habits to suit the dietary advice, and he lost just under a stone in 4 weeks and also improved his control significantly.

What makes you so sceptical of the advice given ?

lulubel

Über Member
In its natural state, it is by and large when the fruit ripens

Depends on where your ancestors evolved, I guess. Here (and presumably everywhere else with a similar climate) most of the sweet fruit is over by the middle of July.

Linford

Depends on where your ancestors evolved, I guess. Here (and presumably everywhere else with a similar climate) most of the sweet fruit is over by the middle of July.

That is followed by a cold season where little grows, and animals migrate or hibernate though.
Animals grow winter and summer coats because of the changes in the length of the daylight hours, so it is not a big stretch in my mind to see other environmental factors affecting body changes.

Modern supply chains have messed with seasonal variation of foodstuffs available so I see merit in the assertions put in relation to fructose, leptin and obesity (or putting weight on more easily in the presence of)

lulubel

Über Member
That is followed by a cold season where little grows, and animals migrate or hibernate though.

It isn't. That was my point. July marks the beginning of the hottest part of the year. Very little grows here in July and August because the climate is too hot and dry. There are two main growing seasons for fruit and veg. One is from around February to June, and the other is September to November.

There isn't a "laying down fat" season as such because southern Europe doesn't have a long period through the winter when nothing ripens. Going further south, my parents live in the Canary Islands, and my mother has fresh fruit and veg ripening all year round, with nothing forced and nothing grown under plastic.

To say that humans, as a species, have evolved to store fat through the winter, is too simplistic, and based on a fairly narrow climatic zone.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No, I'm blood sugar testing before food and before bed (4 times a day) so it is more than an anecdote. The meter doesn't lie.

My T1 friend who has been struggling with control and is on an insulin pump switched his eating habits to suit the dietary advice, and he lost just under a stone in 4 weeks and also improved his control significantly.

What makes you so sceptical of the advice given ?
Absolutely everything.

Linford

It isn't. That was my point. July marks the beginning of the hottest part of the year. Very little grows here in July and August because the climate is too hot and dry. There are two main growing seasons for fruit and veg. One is from around February to June, and the other is September to November.

There isn't a "laying down fat" season as such because southern Europe doesn't have a long period through the winter when nothing ripens. Going further south, my parents live in the Canary Islands, and my mother has fresh fruit and veg ripening all year round, with nothing forced and nothing grown under plastic.

To say that humans, as a species, have evolved to store fat through the winter, is too simplistic, and based on a fairly narrow climatic zone.

Leptin resistance has been linked to intake of fructose though. Fructose consumption induces resistance to it, and that makes people hungry.

It has been found that mutant rats in a lab which aren't making their own leptin become grossly obese and have insatiable hunger, but return to normal size when given leptin jabs.

http://www.sageresearchmodels.com/research-models/knockout-rats/leptin-knockout-rat-—-kilorat™

Some other articles about it below. American of course, but obesity is rife over there, so they take a close interest in the issue.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081016074701.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/477642-fructose-leptin/

Linford

You really have to ask? Take another good look at his site and articles.

read my last post

lulubel

Über Member
Leptin resistance has been linked to intake of fructose though. Fructose consumption induces resistance to it, and that makes people hungry.

It has been found that mutant rats in a lab which aren't making their own leptin become grossly obese and have insatiable hunger, but return to normal size when given leptin jabs.

http://www.sageresearchmodels.com/research-models/knockout-rats/leptin-knockout-rat-—-kilorat™

Some other articles about it below. American of course, but obesity is rife over there, so they take a close interest in the issue.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081016074701.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/477642-fructose-leptin/

Research based on animal tests proves nothing except the effect the test had on that species of animal. Humans and rats are too biologically different for the results to translate, despite what the organisations who perform tests on animals (because it's cheaper than testing on human volunteers) will claim.

To be honest, I find any research that argues that a species that evolved from the same genetic stock as primates shouldn't eat a lot of fruit is laughable. I studied statistics as part of my degree, and I know they can be made to show anything you want them to show. Since there is a lot of money in the food industry, there's a huge incentive to design studies in such a way as to get the results you want.

I do agree that the large amount of high fructose corn syrup in American fast food is a problem, however. It's typically added to high calorie food that's also high in saturated fat, with the intention of triggering a "sugar high" that keeps the customer coming back for more. Add to that the sedentary culture in the US, and it's no wonder there's an obesity epidemic.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Research based on animal tests proves nothing except the effect the test had on that species of animal. Humans and rats are too biologically different for the results to translate, despite what the organisations who perform tests on animals (because it's cheaper than testing on human volunteers) will claim.

To be honest, I find any research that argues that a species that evolved from the same genetic stock as primates shouldn't eat a lot of fruit is laughable. I studied statistics as part of my degree, and I know they can be made to show anything you want them to show. Since there is a lot of money in the food industry, there's a huge incentive to design studies in such a way as to get the results you want.

I do agree that the large amount of high fructose corn syrup in American fast food is a problem, however. It's typically added to high calorie food that's also high in saturated fat, with the intention of triggering a "sugar high" that keeps the customer coming back for more. Add to that the sedentary culture in the US, and it's no wonder there's an obesity epidemic.
Linford. You should read this post over a few times, perhaps over a few days.

And then provide an actual study that says fructose is the problem and not a part of the overall picture. The same study in some way should take into account over-eating, sedentry lifestyle and the generally Supersized portions of the Americans they study.

Is the apple I'm about to eat by itself going to make me obese overnight? I THINK NOT

Linford

Linford. You should read this post over a few times, perhaps over a few days.

And then provide an actual study that says fructose is the problem and not a part of the overall picture. The same study in some way should take into account over-eating, sedentry lifestyle and the generally Supersized portions of the Americans they study.

Is the apple I'm about to eat by itself going to make me obese overnight? I THINK NOT

Apples don't satiate hunger, if anything, they increase it.

Have you got anything of your own to add to this or are you just proficient at riding on the coat tails of others ?

Linford

The hormone leptin has the same effect on appetite in humans as it does in rats though. That is why they are specifically breeding these mutant lab rats. They are perfect test subjects as they do not produce any leptin of their own, and so there is 100% control in the test.

I'm happy to bow to your greater knowledge, but to dismiss it out of hand is a bit less than I expected of you :sad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom