2012 Dartmoor Classic launches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Ron Keegan

I know the route is still being decided, but what blockbuster hills are you thinking of including? I had a look at the routes on the website and was surprised to see that some of the notorious climbs, eg dartmeet, Widecombe and Ponsworthy were not visited. In fact I remember seeing the profile and thinking a lot of riding is on top of the moors.

Hi Glover Fan

With a few minor tweaks, due to road alterations and the like, the route of the 2012 Dartmoor Classic remains pretty much the 'Classic' route which has been so popular with the vast majority of riders over the past few years. As you say "a lot of riding is on top of the moors", but that's what most of those who've done the ride tell us they want; panoramic views and wide open spaces. And, while the climbs of Trendlere, Holne Chase, Merrivale and Doccombe, to name just a few, may not be as notorious as the others you mention they are all "blockbusters" in their own unique way. We included Dartmeet and a couple of other killer climbs in the 2008 edition and were slated for making the event unnecessarily hard!!! An endorsement of the current route's popularity can be guaged by the 2400+ entries we've received since entries opened less than three weeks ago.

Hope to see you on the start line at the end of June.

Cheers
Ron

PeteT

I know the route is still being decided, but what blockbuster hills are you thinking of including? I had a look at the routes on the website and was surprised to see that some of the notorious climbs, eg dartmeet, Widecombe and Ponsworthy were not visited. In fact I remember seeing the profile and thinking a lot of riding is on top of the moors.
I live locally and, believe me, Holne Chase is much more of a challenge than either Dartmeet or Widecombe hills!

rsvdaz

I live locally and, believe me, Holne Chase is much more of a challenge than either Dartmeet or Widecombe hills!

+1000..still not made it up without getting off

and still on the 100k route there is also Bovey-Manaton, Postbridge and out of Moretonhampstead

OP
OP
R

Ron Keegan

+1000..still not made it up without getting off

and still on the 100k route there is also Bovey-Manaton, Postbridge and out of Moretonhampstead

I agree; and while Holne Chase is, arguably, the toughest climb on the Dartmoor Classic routes, it is rideable if you've done the preparation, practiced your steep gradient technique and your lowest ratio is appropriate to your strength. I am way beyond the age of attacking a climb so I let it dictate my pace. This usually requires the engagement of bottom gear before the nasty bit starts, staying in the saddle for as much of the ascent as possible and only standing up on the pedals when I'm going so slow I'm in danger of falling off, which I don't. Riding uphill at under 3 mph, and within your capabilities, is preferable to getting off and walking - and it's quicker. Pushing a bike against a gradient is exhusting and demoralising. So, get practicing.

OP
OP
R

Ron Keegan

Entries have just exceeded two and a half thousand. The limit last time was 2600 and we're currently 'considerering' a small percentage increase on that figure; but it won't be much. To be sure of a place, it's recommended you get registered fairly soon. Go to www.dartmoorclassic.co.uk and register at your earliest possible opportunity.

Thanks to everyone who has already committed to riding.

Cheers
Ron

OP
OP
R

Ron Keegan

Entries for next year's Dartmoor Classic will be capped at 2800. This is nearly 8% more than last year and the maximum number of riders we feel we can efficiently accommodate. Therefore, there are now less than a couple of hundred places available. Sorry we won't be able to fit more in.

pepecat

I'm in (again).

The hill up out of Moretonhampstead wasn't too bad this year.... strange that, cos it's only about 15 miles from the end and given that I was knackered, I'm surprised I got up it! Worst hill was the first long drag up onto the moor proper. God, that was horrible!

PeteT

I'm in (again).

The hill up out of Moretonhampstead wasn't too bad this year.... strange that, cos it's only about 15 miles from the end and given that I was knackered, I'm surprised I got up it! Worst hill was the first long drag up onto the moor proper. God, that was horrible!

Ah yes, Trendlebeare...worth it for the views though... just look to your right when you go round the curve near the top - that's worth it surely!

rsvdaz

thought I had missed out on this over the weekend...glad the numbers got extended

Gog

Regular
Just got my entry in. Going to combine it with a few days away. Should be a big challenge for me as i`m from Cambridgeshire so not used to hills!!

OP
OP
R

Ron Keegan

Hi All.
Entries for next June's Dartmoor Classic closed last night.

A massive thanks to all who have made such an early commitment to the Mid-Devon Cycling Club's flagship promotion; we promise you a fantastic event.

Cheers

OP
OP
R

Ron Keegan

ONLY 176 DAYS TO THE BIG DAY, SO HERE'S WISHING ALL DARTMOOR CLASSIC PARTICIPANTS A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR. MAY YOUR PREPARATION BE SAFE AND FULL OF JOY.

CHEERS

RON

Falwheeler

Looks scary when you see it written down in days. Weather's been crap here for weeks so not much cycling done but cycling at the gym 3 or 4 times a week. Going to have to get out soon tho'

Top Bottom