2013 CX model advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyFletch

Regular
Boring old question I’m afraid but having been pointed in the direction of a Cyclocross bike from one of the other forum pages I’m now looking for some guidance on which CX to look at.

Having searched the internet there are loads of new 2013 models around which I’m looking for advice on. I must stress I’ve only done an internet search so far, no actual experience with any of these bikes and none of my LBS stock a CX so it’ll be difficult for me to try them, as a result I’m trying to narrow my choices down a bit and any advice is welcomed.

What I do know; it’ll be on the Cycle2work scheme so needs to be £1K max. I’m keen to have a decent groupset so either 105’s, Tiagra or Apex and I’d like a quality carbon fork and fairly chunky tyres to help take the edge off the badly kept canal path I use on my daily commute.

I came down to a choice of Pinnacle Arkose Three (good spec. but top end price), Norco Threshold A2 Disc (looks nice but no reviews yet), Boardman CX Team (good value), Jamis Nova Race (like the BB7’s but tyres look a bit narrow and it’s near top price), Cannondale Caadx Tiagra (not sure about the 36/46 crankset or rim brakes).

For info. I won’t be competitively racing, just weekend fun rides and my daily commute which is part road and part canal path.

Robson3022

I'm looking for the same answers my LBS has these
http://www.strawberrycycles.co.uk/giant-bikes/giant-tcx-3
http://www.strawberrycycles.co.uk/giant-bikes/giant-tcx-2

Not sure if there any good though so will watch this tread closely. I love the look of the Jamis!

OP
OP
A

AndyFletch

Regular
Funnily enough the only 2 CX bikes my LBS stocks are the TCX1 (over the £1K budget) and the TCX2 which doesn't really offer the specs. I "think" I want (alloy fork, Sora/Tiagra 2X9 groupset).

Last time I visited my nearest Evans it didn't have any CX bikes in stock at all, makes it bloomin hard to make an informed decision if you can't actually get to try them.....

Robson3022

I've found in my LBS that there all the same brand meaning I'm not really getting an unbiased view. Not sure if there's anywhere local that does a few different options.

OP
OP
A

AndyFletch

Regular
I did look at the Rose bikes, however I'm not sure I'll be able to get hold of one of them on my Cycle2work scheme.

Whyte have a new range of CX bikes for 2013 but I felt they were a little pricey spec. for spec. in comparison to the others I listed.

Still looking for anyone who's got any advice on the Pinnacle Arkose Three, Boardman CX or Norco A2 Thershold as I think these three certainly look best on paper...

OP
OP
A

AndyFletch

Regular
The 2013 Mares AX 2.0 comes in at just under the £1K, it's a very similar spec. to the Cannondale CaadX 105 which is £1100 so on paper it looks excellent VFM.

Not sure where I'd get hold of one locally though...... none of the LBS in my area stock Focus

U

User6179

Boring old question I’m afraid but having been pointed in the direction of a Cyclocross bike from one of the other forum pages I’m now looking for some guidance on which CX to look at.

Having searched the internet there are loads of new 2013 models around which I’m looking for advice on. I must stress I’ve only done an internet search so far, no actual experience with any of these bikes and none of my LBS stock a CX so it’ll be difficult for me to try them, as a result I’m trying to narrow my choices down a bit and any advice is welcomed.

What I do know; it’ll be on the Cycle2work scheme so needs to be £1K max. I’m keen to have a decent groupset so either 105’s, Tiagra or Apex and I’d like a quality carbon fork and fairly chunky tyres to help take the edge off the badly kept canal path I use on my daily commute.

I came down to a choice of Pinnacle Arkose Three (good spec. but top end price), Norco Threshold A2 Disc (looks nice but no reviews yet), Boardman CX Team (good value), Jamis Nova Race (like the BB7’s but tyres look a bit narrow and it’s near top price), Cannondale Caadx Tiagra (not sure about the 36/46 crankset or rim brakes).

For info. I won’t be competitively racing, just weekend fun rides and my daily commute which is part road and part canal path.

I just ordered a specialized crux and have been looking at cx bikes for a few weeks and would say this is the time to buy a 2012 model ,you will get so much more for your money .
Dont think the crux is ideal for commuting so i would say dont get one of them but the tricross may be an option , you can also get a 2012 caadx with 105 for under £900 and a trek ion size 54cm at evens for 1k ,I personally wouldnt buy the pinnacle or the norco as both have the external bb and i would be looking for a bike with bb30 , press-fit 30 or bb90 ,unless you are doing downhills a lot and a lot of wet rides i wouldnt bother with disc brakes either but if you do want discs then out of your choices I would say the boardman is the best bike providing the geometry suits your riding style.

OP
OP
A

AndyFletch

Regular
Thank you so much Eddy, hadn't even considered the BB, that's the sort of info. that really is helpful when you're somewhat green.

OP
OP
A

AndyFletch

Regular
Sadly Evans are out of Caadx 105's (at £880) that fit me.

I'm 5ft 8" and I think the 54 might be a tad big (and they don't have any 54's in stock to try either...)

Having just read Eddy's post I'd have to disagree entirely about BB30.

My Cannondale CAAD10 shipped with BB30, (Cannondale designed the God forsaken set up), and I had no end of problems with it. I was constantly having to strip, clean and grease it to stop squeaks, creaks and groans. I've now converted it to Hollowtech II and it's been absolutely perfect and hasn't missed a beat, as has every other HTII equipped bike I've ever owned, (about 6 in total).

I'll never have BB30 again. Conversely, my mates Scott F01L has the new Shimano press fit bearings and they have been spot on, it just seems to be BB30.

Just Google BB30 problems to see what I mean. BB30 is the answer to a problem that has never existed. Fine if you're a pro and someone is stripping and re-building your bike daily for you, but absolutely unnecessary and complete bobbins for the average Joe.

OP
OP
A

AndyFletch

Regular
darn it, was sooo close to settling on the Boardman at £810 until then.

Whatever I go with will need to be EASY to maintain. As far as mechanical maintenance is concerned I'm your original "Below average Joe".

I'm the guy who helps his kids building lego kits and always has bits of left over.....

Top Bottom