2017 Ashes - Spoilers only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
A few factors at play I reckon:

- Too much focus on not having Stokes
- Bayliss & Strauss' total lack of management
- Lack of a genuinely fast bowler, and a spinner
- Broad, Cook and Ali were all hopeless (A career ending series? For those 3, I think it could be.)

U

User482

A few factors at play I reckon:

- Too much focus on not having Stokes
- Bayliss & Strauss' total lack of management
- Lack of a genuinely fast bowler, and a spinner
- Broad, Cook and Ali were all hopeless (A career ending series? For those 3, I think it could be.)
I know everyone keeps on about a lack of fast bowlers, but Anderson has taken 12 wickets at 26. Unfortunately, the rest of them have been average to utterly hopeless, as were all of the batsmen, with the exceptions of Malan and Bairstow.
Ultimately, if we want the county game to produce fast bowlers and batsmen who can play it, then we will need to incentivize it.

3 times in our last 5 overseas tests, weve made 400 in the first innings and lost by an innings. If we want to prioritise winning overseas, we need to ensure the championship is played at a time of year which would help players other than "English seamers". Playing so much cricket in April n September means that the flat decks just aren't there to develop true quicks and spinners.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
3 times in our last 5 overseas tests, weve made 400 in the first innings and lost by an innings. If we want to prioritise winning overseas, we need to ensure the championship is played at a time of year which would help players other than "English seamers". Playing so much cricket in April n September means that the flat decks just aren't there to develop true quicks and spinners.
There was an interesting discussion on 5live last night.
The crux of it was that real pace bowling is very hard work, and English conditions are such that a good fast medium bowler at 80mph who can swing and seam it will be just as effective but without having to break a sweat, so there is no real incentive to develop fast bowlers as the risk / reward is too high.

philk56

Guru
Disappointed to see the result after I arrived home but it was inevitable. The obvious key differences between the sides is Steve Smith and their bowling attack but I still don't think there is a lot in it between the two sides. England have had opportunities in each game but totally failed to seize them and our more senior players, Anderson excepted, have just not performed to back up the newer players who generally haven't done too badly.

U

User482

There was an interesting discussion on 5live last night.
The crux of it was that real pace bowling is very hard work, and English conditions are such that a good fast medium bowler at 80mph who can swing and seam it will be just as effective but without having to break a sweat, so there is no real incentive to develop fast bowlers as the risk / reward is too high.
That's true, but it excuses the fact that only one of our bowlers has played well. Anderson has shown that it's possible to take wickets and be economical, despite being an "80mph swing bowler".

AndyRM

XOXO
Were any of Anderson's wickets taken when it mattered though? I don't think they were.

So while he's been economical, he's not really been effective (unless I'm wrong about when he was getting wickets, which is entirely possible).

U

User482

Were any of Anderson's wickets taken when it mattered though? I don't think they were.

So while he's been economical, he's not really been effective (unless I'm wrong about when he was getting wickets, which is entirely possible).
If he'd picked up a few tail-enders cheaply when they were setting up a declaration, I'd agree, but I don't think that's the case. But in a way, you are right: none of his wickets have really mattered because there has been no other bowling support to create a match-winning opportunity.

philk56

Guru
Well not quite as bad as it was looking after the first session but still not great. At 160 for three another quick wicket might have made things interesting but we don't seem able to apply any pressure. The game drifts along and suddenly they have put on another 80-odd runs. Apparently some strange bowling decisions as well.

U

User482

I gave up after about 30 minutes. No swing or seam movement at all.

Top Bottom