2017 Ashes - Spoilers only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philk56

Guru
Hey ho Let's hope the one day series is a bit more competitive. As has been mentioned part of the problem is preparation. In the past visiting teams would play strong opposition on decent pitches. That just doesn't happen these days. And it applies to teams visiting England as much as the other way round. I'm sure also a lot of it comes down to the sheer amount of test cricket being played and fitting in preparation time.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
England won the toss 4 times and lost every test.
The only time Oz won the toss England drew.
There must be something to draw from this amazing statistical information.

OP
OP
psmiffy
Ashes over and done with – I have followed the course of a fair number of Ashes series and cannot remember one I enjoyed less - pretty much went how the great and not so great of the punditry world had predicted beforehand – but always with a slight hint of darkness about it – lots of hand wringing in the media – not breeding enough of this that or the other – the difference was always going to be the trio of Starc and Hazelwood and Cummings plus the run making machines that Smith and Warner are on flat Aussie pitches – the bonus of the Marshes making a few runs probably has not gone un-noticed

So to a fairly meaningless ODI series -

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Woken up with a 3 out of 10 hangover and have turned TMS on. Something strange is happening in Australia. Can someone help explain it to me please?

Can we begin the usual calls for Jason Roy as test opener yet?

Please, please not!!

OP
OP
psmiffy
A bit surreal that - Roy hasn't been setting the BBL alight for the Sixers - averages 10 - a few pluses for England that the likes of Wood came back Moeen with a bit more confidence - Rashid and Plunkett getting a couple of wickets each - but when all was said and done it was the highest ever successful chase at the MCG - only the first match - I think Steve Smith will have written it off as a bad day at the office

OP
OP
psmiffy
An observation :rolleyes: - To my mind England's performance in the Ashes considering the conditions was poor - Aussie pitches and weather - Kookaburra ball - but I follow a lot of cricket from around the globe via the cricinfo site - in the past year there have been very few instance of away teams turning over good home sides - just in the last two weeks in ODI and Test home sides have been pretty much 100% -the one I was following in particular South Africa versus India - India have a lot of batting power and bowling talent and you would think that if anyone was going to buck the trend the IT would be India - Nope - 2-0 to SA with one to play

I think this England team were poor compared to an Average aussie team but not as bad as a lot of pundits are making out - will be interesting to see how the rest of this ODI series goes - first match told me nothing except that England bowling needs to improve and that Roy on a good day can murder a bowling attack ala Stokes

Interesting will be to get to the New Zealand leg and see how England go - Kiwis are on a bit of a high at the moment so it will be a good comparism

Top Bottom