2017 Ashes - Spoilers only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
psmiffy
A very workmanlike performance by England - the bowlers for once did not concede a record chase but kept the Aussies down to a par score - Roy fell early but Bairstow (60) and Hales (57) did the business early on - Cameos by Butler (42) and Woakes (39) anchored by Root (46) took England over the line with over 5 overs to spare

The aussies seemed to give it away in their selection today - whilst Starc was always dangerous and Richardson had a good debut - a front line spinner might have changed things

two up and three to play

Agree on the spinners today, the fact that we used 24 overs of spin says it all!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Great series win. Still doesn’t make up for the Ashes IMO.
The smith catch was 50/50.
It is impossible to tell with the low catches.

philk56

Guru
Another great ODI win and nice to win the series, although as has been said no way makes up for the Ashes defeat. Australia will say they are in transition and trying things out for next year's world cup but they never like to lose. I just hope that England don't take their foot off the pedal before next Sunday - I'm looking forward to experiencing the new Perth stadium ^_^

OP
OP
psmiffy
A good win by England – not least that it felt it was closer to an Aussie A team – I cannot help but get the impression that the Aussies whilst still wanting to win everything are not that bothered about this series

An impressive inning by Butler(100) well supported by Woakes (53) just pushed the England score to a competitive number and that was enough in the end

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If England can get out of the hole they are in it will be amazing. But all out for less than 200 is never going to be enough.
The top order failed completely.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If England can get out of the hole they are in it will be amazing. But all out for less than 200 is never going to be enough.
The top order failed completely.
I missed the England innings but TMS tells me that England were 8 for 5 at one point. A total just under 200 is quite an achievement but, yes, it's Australia Day and it's Australia's day.

OP
OP
psmiffy
Englands "success" in ODI's is built on coming out swinging - it seems to work most of the time but you have to wonder if maybe a little circumspection against 2 of the most in form fast bowlers in world cricket would have been a good idea - Wokes showed that it was possible to score freely against the remainder of the bowling - Aussie batting with the exception of Head pretty dire

It seems to me tho that for England to win a tournament - they have have to be a bit smarter - just going with attacking stats you are going to win series 3-1 - a tournament you have to be a 100% - lose one match beyond the meaningless group stages and thats it

8/5 lowest score at the fall of the 5th wicket in Aus for an odi so I hear.

Some circumspection may help but they bat so deep that recoveries can occur as we have here. Ultimately, the fact that Aussie were 7 down means we may have only been 30 or so short.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Too much circumspection and we'll be back in the bad old days.
Occasionally the conditions will dictate a different approach, I suppose, but I'd rather go down swinging...

...if you'll forgive the innuendo:whistle:

Top Bottom