2019 Cannondale SystemSix Ultegra R8020 - First Look!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Pretty much the obvious really. BB30 bearings press straight into the frame. PF30 are pressed into a cup, which is more often plastic but can be metal, with the whole thing pressed into the frame.
I was thinking more performance, I assume you didn't notice any?

bpsmith

Veteran
What happens if two bikes, both system sixes, are launched in the same year.... Are they both defined as 2019 bikes, even though one might be newer?
They don’t usually do that. They generally launch around October time and call them 2019 bikes as they will be what is sold the whole of next year. With a new model like this, they sometimes release them early but still call them 2019 bikes.

bpsmith

Veteran
I was thinking more performance, I assume you didn't notice any?
I think you’ve misread my post. I was simply stating that not all pressfit BB bikes are problematic. I only mentioned both types that use the BB30 bearings as they are very similar. I wasn’t comparing differences in performance between them.

bpsmith

Veteran
@bpsmith you know your not allowed a different opinion to the norm, it's frowned upon by the bashers off all things new and shiny...........now go do 50 press ups in the rain :okay:
I am not worthy of press-ups as I am just not worthy of their old schoolness.

I need something more altogether flimsy and expensive, that will never last. Has to involve something made of that carbon plastic stuff and be electronic for the sake of it, whilst being a funny shape not reminiscent of anything that’s gone before, yet it still has to achieve the exact same function...only better of course. ;)

Edit: Although, you can’t find 50 press ups in a skip, so they are already moving in the right direction.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Tyre clearance looks rubbish

Sometimes they have narrow tyre clearance, for aero.
Sometimes they have wide tyre clearnace, for aero.
Depends what's in fashion for that decade.

bpsmith

Veteran
Sometimes they have narrow tyre clearance, for aero.
Sometimes they have wide tyre clearnace, for aero.
Depends what's in fashion for that decade.
Both can be aero, it totally depends on the wheel and tyre combination that you are trying to fit. The current trend is a wider combo, hence the wider clearance required.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Both can be aero, it totally depends on the wheel and tyre combination that you are trying to fit. The current trend is a wider combo, hence the wider clearance required.

I saw some reviews of other aero bikes where the fork was quite wide but it was to aid aero properties rather than to fit wide tyres: they said the wheels' spin causes turbulence around the forks so they made the forks further away from the wheel .

bpsmith

Veteran
I saw some reviews of other aero bikes where the fork was quite wide but it was to aid aero properties rather than to fit wide tyres: they said the wheels' spin causes turbulence around the forks so they made the forks further away from the wheel .
They build a concept bike and stick it in the wind tunnel with the kit they are looking to fit. They mess about with it and come up with a pile of options which can improve aerodynamics. Some of these options would result in the characteristics of the bike changing which will affect handling or speed or comfort. The end result is that they compromise to get the balance they want.

That means that some will have wider forks to avoid turbulence, whilst others will be to cater for wider wheels/tyres.

My Ridley Noah SL has a split fork with a channel through the centre in two sections each side. The idea being to fit reasonable width wheels/tyres with the fork fairly close. The channels agitating the air after it comes over the tyre and breaking up any turbulence. At least that’s what they say. Looks cool though. :smile:

Top Bottom