2019 Goats League - *CLOSED* Climb 1 - Monte Zoncolan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SmP-62

I've done Zoncolan in real life a few years ago and told myself "Never again" after that effort. That sentiment has not changed one bit.

For that climb IRL I purchased 11-32 cassette.

Despite official tech info you can use 32 with Campy SR, if you know how to set up the rear mech ... 34-32 gear ratio made this ride much easier

martin22

It’s the hardest climb I’ve ever done. I’d rather do hard knott pass 10 times.

Will be interesting if Hardknott ever appears on BRVR, what colours will the profile be for 30%... give those taxc neos a proper test too!

Edit - and Hardknott should only be ridden after 100 miles like just like in the Fred Whitton :rofl:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aleman

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
No more attempts count towards this ride, it is now closed.

Any late comers will get the time of the slowest rider plus 5%

SmP-62

OK, found some extra watts from somewhere (could be that new bottom bracket I bought off Ryder Hesjedal ^_^) .....

I coudn’t change my bottom bracket (Mr. RH’s shop is out of stock, delivery time unknown), so I have done a proffesional bike fitting last week, just to be sure that each produced watt will be used optimal.

It was a 3 hour process. First ride with a new setup was strange, wanted to get back my standard setup, but decided to stick with new one ... now i can feel the improvement ... and see it in numbers.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
I coudn’t change my bottom bracket (Mr. RH’s shop is out of stock, delivery time unknown), so I have done a proffesional bike fitting last week, just to be sure that each produced watt will be used optimal.

It was a 3 hour process. First ride with a new setup was strange, wanted to get back my standard setup, but decided to stick with new one ... now i can feel the improvement ... and see it in numbers.
Have you transferred the set up to the bike you use on the trainer as well or are you just using it on the road?

Edit to Add.
If you don't mind me asking, what percentage in improvement are you seeing regards watts?

Last edited:

SmP-62

Have you transferred the set up to the bike you use on the trainer as well or are you just using it on the road?

Edit to Add.
If you don't mind me asking, what percentage in improvement are you seeing regards watts?

I (will) use the same setup on all of my bikes. Next week I will fly to Mallorca, so my road bike (the one I will use there) is already replaced my trainer dedicated bike on the trainer. I don't have any road miles this year (I hate cold weather, but feel comfortable with +35 degrees C -not F), so I want to get used on that bike/seat.

Regarding improvement ... I can now push/pull harder seated and sustain that power longer ... let's say cca 0,5-1 minute improvement/half hour.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
I (will) use the same setup on all of my bikes. Next week I will fly to Mallorca, so my road bike (the one I will use there) is already replaced my trainer dedicated bike on the trainer. I don't have any road miles this year (I hate cold weather, but feel comfortable with +35 degrees C -not F), so I want to get used on that bike/seat.

Regarding improvement ... I can now push/pull harder seated and sustain that power longer ... let's say cca 0,5-1 minute improvement/half hour.
Cheers Smiljan, a tidy improvement by the looks. Over here in the UK we seem to be basking in a bit of a heatwave, real Tee-shirt and shorts weather. Unfortunately She who must be obeyed has decreed that I spend time in the garden tidying it up rather than being out on the bike so it's still turbo trainer miles only.
Hope you enjoy your time in Mallorca.

SmP-62

... Hope you enjoy your time in Mallorca.

Hi, Dave.

Just returned from Mallorca, it was nice weather, not warm (7-17 degrees C), sometimes cloudy in the hills, but no rain.

I rode every climb also available on BRVR, some of them more than once ... average was just over 100km and 2000m elevation gain per day, max was 132km and 2850m e.g..

High cadence trainings in last 6 months were usefull. I sustained without problems more than 110rpms on flats and more than 100 uphill ... of course without usual TACX cadence overreading :smile:

And I didn't have heavy legs any morning before the ride.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Just returned from Mallorca, it was nice weather, not warm (7-17 degrees C), sometimes cloudy in the hills, but no rain.
Hi Smiljan,

Glad to hear that you got some good climbing in, those stats are impressive. When you've settled back home you should give us guys on here your opinion on the real climbs versus the virtual ones. Fortunately it doesn't rain indoors so at least you had that in common.^_^

Top Bottom