2019 Structured training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Another low doze of aerobic capacity intervals tonight followed by some strength work. HR battery dead tonight, but power output and speed strayed good across all the intervals. So a good session.

huwsparky

Über Member
No offence, but but if you want to take this thread and turn it into what looks like a personal diary you might want to start another one so that the people who aren't interested don't have to read it.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No offence, but but if you want to take this thread and turn it into what looks like a personal diary you might want to start another one so that the people who aren't interested don't have to read it.

Just a thought.

Hey if you are not doing any training then no need to read or comment. It is hardly a personal diary, just not many doing training or posting at the minute. I started this thread for everyone, please do join in with what training you are doing.

Nebulous

Guru
Going back to work seems to have impacted my determination to be structured. It didn't help that my training plan finished at the same time. I'm still doing a fair bit of work - almost all on zwift, but not as planned as it should be.

I finished my ftp builder with a choked nose / cold. I had intended two days off, retest and then start a new training plan, probably the gran fondo one. I didn't think it was sensible doing a test with a cold, so I've messed about doing other things for the last week. On Saturday I did the zwift tour, a full-on hour at around FTP. Sunday I made up my own workout on zwift. There is a builder which allows you to do your own. Primarily a zone 2 session with 4 x 20 second high intensity intervals. This morning I've done a free ride on zwift, but ended up pushing on a sprint and a couple of climbs.

I'm away a lot this week, so will likely have a few rest days whether I like it or not.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I pushed it a bit on the pedals outdoors on Sat. The training is definitely having an affect and the average speed has climbed for a three hour loop I do. It has also been interesting comparing heart rate pushing outdoors compared to the turbo.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I pushed it a bit on the pedals outdoors on Sat. The training is definitely having an affect and the average speed has climbed for a three hour loop I do. It has also been interesting comparing heart rate pushing outdoors compared to the turbo.

Interesting yes. I find I can elevate my heart rate much more outdoors for some reason. On the turbo I find it hard.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Interesting yes. I find I can elevate my heart rate much more outdoors for some reason. On the turbo I find it hard.

You have to remember that the heart rate lags behind during short intervals. This is why they recommend working to a power level rather than heart rate for intervals less than 3 minutes or so. Outdoors you are already warmed up, and when you do harder efforts on hills they are often for a longer period which allows the heart rate to climb further.

Last week I did an interval session after getting back from being outdoors on the bike for a couple of hours. Interesting I set my highest heart rate I have done on the set of intervals I did. I now wonder if a longer warm up might facilitate a higher heart rate when I get to the interval section. Suggesting the heart needs to warm up properly just like leg muscles before it can reach its maximum output. Of course the aim of the improvement is that for a given power output your average heart rate should drop as you get fitter.

Last edited:
Everyone is different but you have air cooling outside to let you gradually build your hr and probably more motivation to do so. I think that was true of me when I was younger but I seem to be able to push a wee bit harder indoors without worrying about what will happen next; it also shows that I don't have a decently long hill here :okay:

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Did some high gear, low cadence work today as part of my strength build work. Interestingly the average speed stays similar but the max heart rate is lower. Hopefully the result in the summer will be the ability to do high gear high cadence in more places boosting the average speed. I do this work outdoors whilst I am also doing my endurance work.

Top Bottom