2021 Brompton C-Line Explore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Evidently due to my failure to explain that they're cooked :tongue:

I usually stop there as it's one of the few options for "convenience" food that's low-carb friendly.. although I keep meaning to stock up on uncooked meats for the rest of the week on a Wednesday as it's a win from every direction compared to buying from supermarkets for all the usual reasons. I'm also hoping the costs might be reasonable with three large cooked sausages costing £2.40, which is less than a comparable six uncooked would cost from a supermarket.. and they're significantly nicer too.

Sounds like a worthy excursion to the lakes - good work :smile:

Added to the gear shopping list; although I fear I might only be able to get one with loops large enough to fit chippolatas..

Indeed; athough my route was probably within a mile or two of where it happened. Think I'd probably just about got home by the time that happened..

So, more ineffectual ramblings.

Following Monday's storm temperatures have fallen to more seasonally-appropriate levels, being around 12 degrees in the mornings according to the Met Office.

Despite the relative chill, yesterday's trip in was mostly bright and managed in lightweight trousers and base-layer; somewhat cold to start but after maybe 1.5 miles my core had warmed up, my hands getting there after maybe three miles. Again a nice ride in, although lots of people and amonst them several knobheads apparently unconcerned by the prospect of their dogs getting run over - in each case resulting in me coming to a complete stop while they sorted themselves out; despite being repeated fore-warned of my presence in good time by the bell.

The tow paths have become littered with leaves in a few places after Monday's storm and both canine-themed emergency stops saw the rear wheel locking up briefly under braking; the front thankfully retaining grip. As I've mentioned before the bike can feel skittish / lacking in grip on slippery (smooth / wet) surfaces - not sure if this is due to the tyre size, compound or a combination of the two. I'm certainly going to have to be careful going into winter as conditions continue to deteriorate..

On the subject of tyres, the "75psi" tried in the rear last week initially seemed a little soft, however again inflating to the same pressure using a mate's track pump resulted in a noticeably firmer tyre. Perhaps this was because of a discrepency in gauges between the two; or maybe more likely because the first time this was done in a warm house; the second when the bike had been sat outside in the cool.

As the mornings get darker it becomes increasingly difficult to drag myself out of bed, with the sunrise creeping closer to the journey itself..

View attachment 708760

Thankfully there are still periods of bright sunlight howeverl which further enchances the lovely autumn colours creeping into the foliage..

View attachment 708761

Last night the usual pub visit was had, followed by a ride back at about 10pm. Temperature management was a bit of a pain; leaving on T-shirt / poloneck / jacket; the latter proving really too warm once I'd done a few miles.

Today was back to overcast skies with a similar temperature. Traffic was crap (relatively speaking) but I had nice ride again thanks to leaving in good time; allowing a stress-free mosey that included a trip to the butchers. There were also noticeably fewer people on the tow path today, which also aided progress; although I did see plenty of kids / families on bikes which (despite my dislike of kids) is always a welcome sight.

The boatyard out the back of Jericho with some moored barges and St. Barnabus' church in the background:

View attachment 708763

Looking back to where I'd come from - I think the street on the right contains a house that featured in the Inspector Morse episode "The dead of Jericho"..

View attachment 708764

These shots show how much green is left on the trees, how much orange is yet to come and likely how much slippery mulch will end up all over the tow path..

On to the covered market and some poorly-composed sausage-proof for @EltonFrog :tongue:

View attachment 708765

Finally a nice bit of apparently Jabba-the-hut seasonal guerilla knitting on the post box :smile:

View attachment 708766

Other general points of note.. yesterday I once again ran the sat-nav on the car journey; it's fairly optimistic 42 minutes for the round-the-houses route gradually increasing as the journey progressed; shouting at me repeatedly to turn around as I got closer to Yarnton and the often-mile-long car park between the Turnpike and Peartree roundabouts.

At the point where the phone finally accepted that I wasn't going to do as I was told it re-routed to take me through the traffic - its prognosis being 40 minutes to cover all of 11 miles; which would probably have seen me chewing on my steering wheel / the face of a fellow commute-slave. Thankfully it took me less time to cover the more direct, and infinitely more pleasant 8 mile route on the bike.

This massive bullet dodged daily thinks to the Brompton, unfortunately the traffic continues to stalk me - a small delay this morning as vehicles were queued over the Turnpike again, meaning a delay before I could turn right; while it seems to be getting noticeably worse further out too - perhaps because the traffic light durations through my grotty village (and potentially beyond) seem to have been significantly lengthened; meaning big, long road-trains of cars that seem to accumulate at lights more than were they in smaller strings... this also making it a pain to pull out of side-roads in the village too :sad:

This concludes another scintillating update - while the bike's had a good run in the dry recently it's chains now squeaky and ginger again thanks to Monday night's rain - no big thing as it's nearly due a mileage-based wax anyway, while I'm keen to check the chain wear against my new item and take a look at the sprockets, as my gut tells me the waxed setup might defy the conventional wisdom applied to these bikes of replacing both sprockets at the same time as the chain..

Keep em coming Wafter, I love reading of your adventures. Mrs TKK is planning to Rohloff her 2015 M6L, using her Roberts tourer as the donor bike. Should be interesting.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I enjoy the ramblings too ( no offence), and thanks for the sausage photo, they look yummy. The hat I think is meant to be a sorting hat from Harry Potter.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Keep em coming Wafter, I love reading of your adventures. Mrs TKK is planning to Rohloff her 2015 M6L, using her Roberts tourer as the donor bike. Should be interesting.
Thanks - appreciate you saying so :smile:

The Rohloff conversion sounds interesting - sounds good but too rich for my pockets! IIRC this hub is wider over the axle - are you replacing or modding the rear frame?

I enjoy the ramblings too ( no offence), and thanks for the sausage photo, they look yummy. The hat I think is meant to be a sorting hat from Harry Potter.
Cheers and yes - the sausages are very good :smile:

Didn't realise that was a Harry Potter thing.. not so keen now!

In other news last night's ride had its moments - despite the persistantly squeaky chain, sore arse and absolute exhaustion...

IMG_20231004_173503.jpg

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
The Rohloff conversion needs a new rear triangle. Ben at Kinetics in Glasgow does a range of conversions, and makes a new rear triangle in stainless, with the option of integrated rack. Some people have successfully fitted an Alfine hub to an existing rear triangle by spreading it using studded rod and nuts.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

The Rohloff conversion needs a new rear triangle. Ben at Kinetics in Glasgow does a range of conversions, and makes a new rear triangle in stainless, with the option of integrated rack. Some people have successfully fitted an Alfine hub to an existing rear triangle by spreading it using studded rod and nuts.
Cool - I've taken a brief look at some of the aftermarket gearing options on offer, and as nice as some of them look I don't think I could ever justify the price for the extra I'd get over the stock gearing.. which might be a bit weirdly executed and gappy but in practice does the job well :smile:

Your commute still looks far more appealing than mine, out of the house at 6.00am this morning, parked in Edgware caught the tube and now in Hampstead enjoying a coffee before I start work.
Yeah, that doesn't sound fun. How's the traffic to Edgeware? Sometimes nice to be in London providing the weather's nice and you have any other form of transport than a car..

my commute is down the stairs into the kitchen, then to the spare room/office. It’s a tough job but it’s got to be done.
That must be hell on those little wheels!

In the absence of being able to achieve much anywhere else, today was dedicated to dicking about with bikes.

I cracked open the new chain - a Fawkes-cycles-sourced item so hopefully totally legit..

12x8_IMG_8336a.jpg

12x8_IMG_8363a.jpg

12x8_IMG_8361a.jpg

Tbh it doesn't look that different to the potentially dodgy X8 I sourced from ebay a while ago. It doesn't seem so gappy over the axles - something corroborated by the feeler gauges - however there was still quite a bit of float at maybe 0.25mm typical stepping up to 0.35mm in places between plates; compared to the 0.45mm ish I found on the X8.

In addition the lubricant present feels a lot lighter and less sticky than that on the X8 - although I remember the X11s on the CdF having something similarly sticky and nasty, so maybe they've just changed thier lube recently.

So, maybe the ebay X8 was legit and the tolerances on the 8-speed chains are just really sloppy.. I did leave some honest, non-shouty neutral feedback on ebay but someone has evidently removed it.. so much for the integrity of the feedback system :sad:

The original chain needed a wax after getting caught in the rain last week so was removed.. as usual corrosion appears superficial and the biggest issue is the squeaking once it's got wet. Not sure if this is just because the water has incentivised the wax working its way out of the chain, or whether the corrosion itself is causing the squeak.

12x8_IMG_8356a.jpg

Old (pre-wax) and new chain hung side by side on a 3.6mm drill shank. At the 49th link the old chain seems a little under 1mm longer which translates into around 0.075% of total length or about 15% into the 0.5% maximum permissible elongation. At 880-odd miles this suggests that it could last until 6k miles before requiring replacement :smile:

12x8_IMG_8370a.jpg

This is less wear than suggested by comparison to the last new chain unsure if this is because of a problem with the chain or measurement error.. ultimately I'll let the Shimano chain checker tool be the judge of when the chain needs to be binned.

I'd also sourced some reuseable 8sp quicklinks to allow a spare to be carried; tempted to chuck one on this chain now as the original item is that sloppy it's probably intended for single-use. Likewise the one on the new chain is the same; which is a bit disappointing... although I think the link on the near-4k mile chain on the Genesis is also single-use and it's not killed me yet..

12x8_IMG_8383a.jpg

Out of interest I also took a look at the wear faces on the sprockets and chainwheel.

Hard to see in these lower-res images, but the wear on the sprockets' teeth seems reasonable - pity I'd not taken any pictures when the bike was new to see how much the contact patches on the backs of the teeth have grown..

12x8_IMG_8343a.jpg

12x8_IMG_8349a.jpg

Its hard to tell, but I think the contact patches are bare metal (light grey) bounded by wax (dark grey) that's been displaced to the edges by the load upon it. Note also the shape of the contact patch on the smaller 13T sprocket - the patch being deeper near the outside edge; presumably because these are stamped and the inside edge is torn rather than sheared; so tapers away / is slightly set back.

The contact patch on the 13T sprocket appears to be larger than on the 16T; unsurprising really since it has fewer teeth and potentially gets more use.

Interestingly - depending on how bored you are - the profiles of the teeth on the sprockets are different; the 13T items apparently being symmetrical about their centrelines with the taller, more pointy profile you'd expect to find on a single-speed. There are also no ramps to aid shifting and if anything the sprocket looks a bit thicker than the 16T item.

The teeth on the 16T sprocket look a lot more like you'd find on a conventional cassette - with more of an assymetric, "squared off shark's fin" profile. I noticed that Brompton have changed the shape of both these sprockets recently, with the teeth of both newer ones looking more conventional.

The teeth on the chainwheel also look subject to minimal wear:

12x8_IMG_8373a.jpg

Anyway, the old chain's now waxed and back on the bike..

I toyed with the idea of waxing the new one too and rotating them. On the one hand this would be more convenient, probably better for the other drive components and likely less hassle (if it doesn't squeak after getting damp - the jury remaining out on this currently).

On the other I like having it as a control to measure wear of the original against. When I thought the original was going to wear out fairly quickly I'd planned to just run it into the ground and replace it, however if's expected to last many thousands more miles I guess I might as well just chuck the new one into the mix as well..

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Another glorious, uncharacteristically-warm autumn morning made for a pleasant ride, in plenty of time to accommodate a stop at the butchers. For the first time since I started riding in the wide cycle path along the side of the Yarnton road to Peartree was actually serviceable; this being a very welcome alternative to weaving in and out of the traffic. Not only does this path cut out by far the worst bit of the ride on-road between Yarnton and the canal, but also the bit of rough ground under the bridge :smile:

The ride back was similarly nice in the sublime, low autumn sun, if as usual depressing to be leaving the city. I bumped into an old mate and had a quick chat, then met a chap in town to whom I finally flogged the one odd caliper I had left over from my old OCR - he's apparently competing in an alley cat race soon..

After sitting in uni parks for a bit feeling sorry for myself I headed out through Jericho and spotted my old Mick Gray bike (that I bought some time ago, failed to sort out and sold on as part of the great rationalisation). I stopped for a photo and chatted to its new owner who seemed happy with it, having put some more old-school track-type bars on it and added some skinny mudguards :smile:

IMG_20231009_173014.jpg

IMG_20231009_174114.jpg

IMG_20231009_174233.jpg

IMG_20231009_174941.jpg

IMG_20231009_175327.jpg

Last week's leftover sore-arse aside a very pleasant way to spend a chunk of the day :smile:

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another glorious, uncharacteristically-warm autumn morning made for a pleasant ride, in plenty of time to accommodate a stop of the butchers. For the first time since I started riding in the wide cycle path along the side of the Yarnton road to Peartree was actually serviceable; this being a very welcome alternative to weaving in and out of the traffic. Not only does this path cut out by far the worst bit of the ride between Yarnton and the canal, but also the bit of rough ground under the bridge :smile:

The ride back was similarly nice in the sublime, low autumn sun, if as usual a bit depressing to be leaving the city. I bumped into an old mate and had a quick chat, then met a chap in town to whom I finally flogged the one odd caliper I had left over from my old OCR - he's apparently competing in an alley cat race soon..

After sitting in uni parks for a bit feeling sorry for myself I headed out through Jericho and spotted my old Mick Gray bike (that I bought some time ago, failed to sort out and sold on as part of the great rationalisation). I stopped for a photo and chatted to its new owner who seemed happy with it, having put some more old-school track-type bars on it :smile:

View attachment 709390

View attachment 709393

View attachment 709396

View attachment 709400

View attachment 709402

Last week's leftover sore-arse aside a very pleasant way to spend a chunk of the day :smile:

Nice photos today.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Nice photos today.

Thanks - the city in autumn certainly provides plenty of opportunities :smile:

This morning saw a late departure into the misty outside as many things needed doing before leaving, tackled in a somewhat lethargic state after doing many things upon my return home last night.

Temperature felt a little less than yesterday; I stuck with the base layer but added a buff / snood to keep a bit of the heat in. Plus "dressing the neck" makes me feel a bit continental and sophisticated..

For some reason traffic through the village has been bloody awful recently, however for once I managed to cross / join the appropriate roads without much fuss. This all quickly went out the window however when a sizeable tailback was hit at the next major set of lights (maybe three changes-worth, when previously I'd be through in one). This situation really is miserably ridiculous - with familiar rural A-roads being more busy than I've ever known them :sad:

I ducked off through an adjacent village in the hope of cutting out the queue; my progress comprehensively knackered after getting stuck behind 15-mph Mavis and the world's least-assertive white van man :rolleyes:

Finally out the other side of the village I stuck on B-roads, white van man opening it up a bit and a pleasant spirited (if not balls-out fast) drive was had with lots of heel-and-toe action on the corners. Upon getting to Yarnton there was still a significant amount of traffic and fearing getting trapped once more I took the longer, ostensibly slower back way to my usual parking spot..

All this crap had added 5-10 minutes to the usual, typically 20-ish minute car-based portion of the journey and made me even later. Despite this I couldn't help but stop repeatedly to snatch some photos of the ethereal goodness of the early morning sun cutting through the lingering mist.. :smile:

One of the many miserable impromtu carparks I'm very happy to not be part of:

IMG_20231010_082244.jpg

The welcome vision of calm greeting me upon reaching the tow path:

IMG_20231010_082446.jpg

The view back from whence I'd come:

IMG_20231010_082527.jpg

IMG_20231010_082629.jpg

IMG_20231010_082644.jpg

IMG_20231010_082846.jpg

IMG_20231010_083020.jpg

After a couple of miles the bulk of the mist had cooked off in the sun so I put the phone away and concentrated on making up some time.

Since I was a bit later today the tow path was littered with kids and parents on the school run; however this was a far more civilised and infinitely preferable way to be held up compared to being stuck behind some vacuous, arrogant muppet pushing around two tons of debt-slavery to get 40 kilos of spoiled brat to school..

As sometimes happens speed and bravado had been gradually ramping up as the endorphines flowed, and by the time I'd reached town the journey had become a bit of a council-getaway in Stockholm with little quarter given and pretty much everything getting overtaken.

Another fantastic ride, however I think today could well be the last opportunity as tomorrow says rain and next week it looks like the temperatures is going to fall off a cliff..

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Inevitably yesterday was less pleasant. Allergies in full swing so eyes gammy, head fuzzy.. had to stop for a leak on the way in due to the sheer amount of fluids passing through me, as well as to grease my now chronically-sore arse :sad:

The air was hot and humid, the traffic on the car journey less than great while I also encountered a few knobheads along the way..

The arse problem isn't unique to the Brompton; however it seems to have become significantly worse recently.. perhaps because of the harsher ride (little wheels, rough-ish surfaces), frequency of use, saddle geometry or incorrect setup.

As usual it's only on one side and having done a bit of research I'm wondering if I have some sort of asymmetry issue that could be better accomodated with bike setup. Saddle height seems OK using the heel-on-pedal method but it does have a bit of forward rake..

Not looking forward to the ride in next week as I doubt it will have recovered by then..

a.twiddler

Veteran
Sounds a bit grim. never had to stop mid ride for an arse greasing though often had to stop for a leak. Some days I'm leakier than a leaky thing, other days, not so bad. Hopefully with cooler weather will come less allergens.

Today is another day, things look better after a night's rest when some of the things which bothered you might have diminished, and as for next week, you can only take it as it comes.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks both - last time I looked weather next week was forecast to be cold and dry.. I almost relish the challenge and tbh it's the sore situation that's worrying me since it started a couple of weeks ago and hasn't fully gone away in the downtime at the end of each week; meaning it's been worse on each successive Monday.

I think it's a combination of point-loading and abrasion.. maybe if I can recover from the bruising over the weekend I can arrest the abrasion by the application of some gaffer tape to the affected cheek.

Unfortunately the allergies are food-related, supercharged this week by a wasp sting on Sunday that had my little finger looking like a well-packed chippolata yesterday. Thankfully that's receded but unless I can manage a decent fast (for which I currently lack the determination) the other symptoms tend to linger..

Anyway, as suggested I can only wait to see what Monday throws at me. Doesn't look like I'll be getting out on any bikes until then :sad:

Top Bottom