205.6 miles in a day, but just the once: summer 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After Dogtrousers' excellent idea, I was quick to follow suit and put my foot in it commit myself to having a go, too.

Interesting. I think I may make that my challenge for next year - to ride one Godwin: 205.6 miles in a day. I may even start flat route planning.

You know what! I'll join you in that challenge. One day next summer (obviously not the same day), I'll give it a go.

There, it's in black and white now. :eek:

Thinking more about it, I wondered if anyone else is mad enough to contemplate 'joining' us on the challenge? You choose your own route and date, and see if you can manage it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am 60 next year and thought I would do a few things on the bike to mark that milestone. This sounds like the kind of thing that 60 year olds should be doing, so I am in! :okay:

I would try and do it in midsummer hours of daylight. 17 hours implies an overall average of 12 mph which sounds ok as long as the weather is good, any breaks don't take up too much time, and the route is not too hilly.

I will do it as a forum ride! :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 3843896, member: 9609"]I think you will need to get it done quite soon, as of January I suspect it will become the Searvogel and a touch over 220 miles. And by next August it could well be the Abraham and over 225.[/QUOTE]
But those would be separate challenges surely?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 3843896, member: 9609"]I think you will need to get it done quite soon, as of January I suspect it will become the Searvogel and a touch over 220 miles. And by next August it could well be the Abraham and over 225.[/QUOTE]
Once it gets to those kind of distances, one might as well do the extra and get a 400 km audax under one's belt! (249 miles.)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mmm - 5 years ago (wow - didn't realise it was that long ago) I did a little jaunt around the M25, as detailed here

That was only 150 miles in one go, but it did weave in and out the M25 a bit. I could extend the circle out a bit, to round it up to 205.6 miles..................

I'd join you for that..

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
After Dogtrousers' excellent idea...
Maybe not so excellent. Maybe foolhardy would be a better word.

I'm working on routes that go around the flat bits of Kent, of which there are many, avoiding the unflat bits, of which there are also, unfortunately, many.

I'll be sticking with the old fangled Godwin, that's more than enough for me.

fatjel

Veteran
Count me in too
I did the Fairies flat 300 earlier this year..
http://www.strava.com/activities/330322768
Added a bit to take it over 200 miles another 5 would be easy enough .
Hard to find a flatter 200 miles
(discount the easy enough bit. )

Me too....
Without thinking too much about a route, I did a little plot on Bikehike, starting at Gravesend then going vaguely Tonbridge, Haywards Heath, Billingshurst, Guildford, Ascot, Slough, Amersham, Hemel Hempstead, Welwyn Garden City, Harlow, Chipping Ongar, Brentwood and then finishing at Tilbury, which came out at 205 miles.

10,000 feet of climbing on rather congested roads - the Tilbury ferry doesn't run on Sundays so you'd have to do a Saturday, or risk the delays caused by waiting for a lift across at Dartford. It might be a tad much to try and do it in 15 hours of cycling. A slightly better thought might be something like Weston-super-Mare to Whitstable which is something I'd pondered about a few years ago. Less traffic if we stick to the minor roads and the chance of a tailwind. And/or start it at around 10pm at night?

Count me in too
I did the Fairies flat 300 earlier this year..
http://www.strava.com/activities/330322768
Added a bit to take it over 200 miles another 5 would be easy enough .
Hard to find a flatter 200 miles
(discount the easy enough bit. )

That makes more sense (why re-invent the wheel).

Although I do like the idea or concept of an extended line ride, rather than a series of loops like the Fairies Flat 300. Something to think about in the depths of winter..............

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Without thinking too much about a route, I did a little plot on Bikehike, starting at Gravesend then going vaguely Tonbridge, Haywards Heath, Billingshurst, Guildford, Ascot, Slough, Amersham, Hemel Hempstead, Welwyn Garden City, Harlow, Chipping Ongar, Brentwood and then finishing at Tilbury, which came out at 205 miles.

10,000 feet of climbing on rather congested roads - the Tilbury ferry doesn't run on Sundays so you'd have to do a Saturday, or risk the delays caused by waiting for a lift across at Dartford. It might be a tad much to try and do it in 15 hours of cycling. A slightly better thought might be something like Weston-super-Mare to Whitstable which is something I'd pondered about a few years ago. Less traffic if we stick to the minor roads and the chance of a tailwind. And/or start it at around 10pm at night?
Hard to get a ride of that length much flatter. When I rode Pompey-Cardiff-Swansea that came out as 10 to 13k feet depending which figures you believe.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm thinking of something like SE London-Folkestone (flat once over the Downs) Steep up & down at Folkestone then round the coast of Kent via Deal, Margate and Whitstable (generally flat), then picking a flat ish route back home from Whitstable. Plenty of railway bail out options!

I'd be doing it solo, as I'd have to be able to set my own pace. Pushing it to keep up with someone faster would not end well.

If I do it at all, that is. I may well wimp out. I'd have to start at midnight to be able to fit it into a day, and also guarantee running trains when I need them most.

Top Bottom