205.6 miles in a day, but just the once: summer 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I had a 205 Godwin in my plans for this year, to Skegness and back, but what with one thing and another I just haven't got around to doing it. Certainly will be in the 2016 plan.

ianwoodi

I would like to do 200 mile plus starting out from buxton Derbyshire area and heading out to Cheshire flat lands towards the coast and back but not going to do it on my own

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Right, the bike's sorted! :thumbsup:

Not this one, as previously craved:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkT_uoWfig9uqDe7KRMIE0XiIVoxzKzAMiE5ERy1aehqk2VzDe.jpg

but this one instead,
fo16_mares_ax_disc_tiagra_9fc6595963.png

which has a better spec (and more red in it :smile:).

Now need to colour co-ordinate the clothes for the day, plus buy road tyres, lights, etc. etc.

What was going to be a one-man solo trip, it now looks as if I'm going to be joined by my best mate from Finland, and my step-son PLUS a support car.

Planning on doing it the 1st/2nd Saturday in July. Bring it on.

Anyone else getting more serious about it?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Anyone else getting more serious about it?
I've got my route planned. No date set yet. Probably late July, early August.

Bike will be my usual bike. Unless I win the lottery and decide to get another one. But in that case bionic knees would be higher on my shopping list.

Actually, having my route planned doesn't mean anything as there's nothing I like better than fiddling round on the PC planning routes that I never get round to riding.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Here is a nice one i did at the beginning of the year, it's actually 214 miles, i stopped the garmin early because battery was flat and i did not want to lose the ride.
https://www.strava.com/activities/301362611
May give it another go in 2016:okay:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yes it was a good one, We had a tail wind all the way to the coast, but when we hit the coast it turned into a headwind, When we stopped in Cromer i was ready to give up, But after a hot coffee and pork pie it gave me the energy to get back on the bike, When we got to Kings Lynn i was on such a high. Everybody should have a go, At 63 years old it's not a bad achievement.:okay:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Has no-one done this yet? I wanted to, but for reasons that are not at all interesting I couldn't to get the continuity I needed in the early part of June, and the hours of daylight are now declining. I would always have seen the target as Kurt Searvogel's 209 miles - stopping at 205.6 would be bizarre to say the least - and by next June we'll know what number Amanda Coker has posted. Gulp.

Good luck to anyone who's still going for it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Has no-one done this yet? I wanted to, but for reasons that are not at all interesting I couldn't to get the continuity I needed in the early part of June, and the hours of daylight are now declining. I would always have seen the target as Kurt Searvogel's 209 miles - stopping at 205.6 would be bizarre to say the least - and by next June we'll know what number Amanda Coker has posted. Gulp.

Good luck to anyone who's still going for it.

Myself and @rb58 did it on our Doncaster to London ride last month. We both did near 220 miles.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Done it! Ride report here.

I would always have seen the target as Kurt Searvogel's 209 miles - stopping at 205.6 would be bizarre to say the least
Well, Kurt hadn't set his total when the original challenge was set.

I originally intended to go for a Searvogel too. However I had to do a route re-plan late in the ride. I chose a new route but wasn't really sure what total it would give me. I made the decision that only if the end result was less than 200 miles would I ride extra. The Godwin and Searvogel could look after themselves. If I got them, all well and good. If not, tant pis, the double ton was the main target*.

As things turned out I did 334km / 207 miles, so just short of the Searvogel. Sorry Kurt, no disrespect intended.

I suppose this means I have to do it again now!

* When I actually passed it, a guy cycled past me and said "good evening". I was so chuffed I was tempted to share the news with him, but I didn't as he might have thought I was a nutter. And who's to say he would have been wrong?

Last edited:
Top Bottom