Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.strava.com/activities/666778681/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1470506183

Today's Skyride Social. I had to abandon the idea of going down to Portsmouth, to watch the end of the Olympic road race on the big screen, because my left hamstring locked solid 10 miles in. It's annoying, but I'm not risking a big injury:thumbsup::thumbsdown:. Anyway, it was a nice day, and I'm watching the race at home.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lovely, all things considered.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
When you've only got an 8 mile commute home on a Saturday morning after a 12hour night shift, the best thing to do is extend it, yes? Lovely morning, so left the airport and headed out through Poyle, Datchet and into Eton, before crossing the Thames and popping up past HRH's castle. Feeling rather tired at this point, so thankful for the relatively flat remainder of the ride. Home on 19.7 miles, bed at 9, up at 4:30. Maybe the same tomorrow morning...

BSRU

A Human Being
Got out for a good 112km ride yesterday with 1,100 metres of going up.
Unfortunately the ride was spoilt by Wiltshire county council:angry:.

After 88km as I was about to turn into a lovely 10km section of tarmac, to my horror I saw the signs warning of skid risk and maximum speed 20mph.
No:cry:, they've only gone and "dressed" the lovely tarmac, very recently by the number sections of deep gravel:cry::cursing:.

So 10km of riding very slowly and carefully:cursing:, what a stupid time of year to do it when cyclists would be using the country lanes to avoid the main roads.
No chance of escape as all the country lanes have been done, so I will have to completely avoid the area for a while:angry:.
Thankfully my Shand frame is protected by helicopter tape.

Not what I wanted to see:angry:.
road.png

Good to see three riders tackling Hackpen Hill, just been up it myself and just going back down to return to my route.
rider1.png
rider2.png
rider3.png

To aid my recovery and disappointment of the loss of beautiful tarmacked country lanes I ate a large piece of cherry madeira cake^_^.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yesterday was now or never for my long-planned double imperial century attempt. It was my last chance to take advantage of the miles I did in July.

I set out at 3:45 am and headed south. Prime fox time in SE London. "Morning Foxy!". Over the North Downs, a bit chilly. To Lingfield, then headed east via Tonbridge, watching the changes as the sun came up, just like a solo FNRttC.

Most of the ride I was a bit of a slave to the GPS. Unlike my normal riding, I couldn't afford to just tootle along saying "hello sky, hello trees" as I would slow down and the whole thing would take forever. I had to concentrate on keeping the pace up. I would watch my overall average dropping during every stop, and cut the stop short to keep it above 20km/h. Then work on building it up again for the next stop. A bit of a soulless way to ride, but it worked. First and second 100ks were both under 5 hours. The third one ... well, things were getting difficult then.

I did a short off-road section near Hythe on the Royal Military Canal and headed back west along the coast via New Romney, where I did a 10k inland circuit to build mileage. New Romney is a very smelly place. I don't know what it is that it smells of, but it's horrible.

On to Camber, via Dungeness. Windy and exposed and hard work. I was hoping to bump into the CC massive on their Cinqe Ports ride. As I struggled through the wind I dreamed of @ianrauk and @martint235 appearing from nowhere to give me a tow. But it was not to be. Bag of chips at Camber at about 1:15. 200k done.

Things started to fall apart a bit at about 275k. I was really struggling by 300k and was worried that my planned route would actually be too long, due to some unscheduled diversions. I had a long sit down by the duck pond at Four Elms, a favourite stopping point for me, gave myself a talking to, did some replanning and ate and drank. It's amazing what a good rest and some positive thinking will do. I was completely(ish) recovered. Up and over the Greensand Ridge by Chartwell, Up the North Downs. Hills no problem.

Back through suburban London just as the foxes were coming out to play again. They lined streets and applauded me. Or perhaps I was hallucinating.

Total 334km (207 mi) in 17hr 15min I was less than pleased to discover that my Garmin had failed to record the first 83km :sad:

Edit. In fairess to my Garmin. It had not failed to record the whole ride at all. But because the ride was long, it had shoved the first 83k's worth of data points into an archive file. It took me a while to figure that out. Here's the whole ride

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/10396071

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-7_9-29-54.png
    upload_2016-8-7_9-29-54.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yesterday was now or never for my long-planned double imperial century attempt. It was my last chance to take advantage of the miles I did in July.

I set out at 3:45 am and headed south. Prime fox time in SE London. "Morning Foxy!". Over the North Downs, a bit chilly. To Lingfield, then headed east via Tonbridge, watching the changes as the sun came up, just like a solo FNRttC.

Most of the ride I was a bit of a slave to the GPS. Unlike my normal riding, I couldn't afford to just tootle along saying "hello sky, hello trees" as I would slow down and the whole thing would take forever. I had to concentrate on keeping the pace up. I would watch my overall average dropping during every stop, and cut the stop short to keep it above 20km/h. Then work on building it up again for the next stop. A bit of a soulless way to ride, but it worked. First and second 100ks were both under 5 hours. The third one ... well, things were getting difficult then.

I did a short off-road section near Hythe on the Royal Military Canal and headed back west along the coast via New Romney, where I did a 10k inland circuit to build mileage. New Romney is a very smelly place. I don't know what it is that it smells of, but it's horrible.

On to Camber, via Dungeness. Windy and exposed and hard work. I was hoping to bump into the CC massive on their Cinqe Ports ride. As I struggled through the wind I dreamed of @ianrauk and @martint235 appearing from nowhere to give me a tow. But it was not to be. Bag of chips at Camber at about 1:15. 200k done.

Things started to fall apart a bit at about 275k. I was really struggling by 300k and was worried that my planned route would actually be too long, due to some unscheduled diversions. I had a long sit down by the duck pond at Four Elms, a favourite stopping point for me, gave myself a talking to, did some replanning and ate and drank. It's amazing what a good rest and some positive thinking will do. I was completely(ish) recovered. Up and over the Greensand Ridge by Chartwell, Up the North Downs. Hills no problem.

Back through suburban London just as the foxes were coming out to play again. They lined streets and applauded me. Or perhaps I was hallucinating.

Total 334km (207 mi) in 17hr 15min I was less than pleased to discover that my Garmin had failed to record the first 83km :sad:

Ridewith GPS (minus the first bit) RWGPS

Here's the route (with the missing piece spliced in)

View attachment 138194
Fantastic achievement (although I'm a bit wary of being dreamt of ). You were not far in front of the Cinque ride by the sounds of it, I left them about 1.15 just outside Lydd

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Fantastic well done. That is something only ever achieved in my dreams.

Really can't see me ever getting past 100 at times. Getting back up to 70 seems impossible but I agree with the giving yourself a good talking to routine.

Edit. The smell I was informed was pig manure, bloody awful and bloody inconsiderate to pick yesterday to spread it.
Don't they know who we are ?!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Rosliston the destination, 59 miles the journey, warm sunny and blowing a hoolie this morning making for a slow hard ride. on the way back I found myself having to overtake a horse and cart, something that is rare and unusual, apart from that and the wind it was a routine ride.

Old jon

Guru
A breezy morning here in Leeds, might as well take advantage of it while it is blowing. So, cross the river at Crown Point Bridge after the wander around Holbeck, once past the bus station and along Regent Street, there is the tailwind. Great stuff. All the way up to the clock at Oakwood and on to the top of Boot Hill that breeze was doing wonderfully well. At the crest I decided to continue along the A 58 to Collingham, just because I had not ridden that road in that direction for a while. After Collingham, turn right onto Wattle Syke and I have just discovered the need for a collective noun for a bunch of roundabouts. Hmmm, a tarmac? A panic? Anyway, from that to Boston Spa, all the way through the village to the final turn off for Clifford and on to Bramham. Cross the A 1(M) and keep going in the direction of Thorner. Turn right at the junction before the dip and pedal along to Milner Lane and turn left.

Turn right for Scarcroft at one of the many Thorner Lanes that infest the area, which reaches the A 58 at Scarcroft. So turn left and ride on for the reward of a buzz down Boot Hill and completing 31 miles for the ride by the time I returned home. Quite a large number of cyclists seen today, a large ( six or eight ) stationary bunch at the south end of Crown Point Road, who said they were fine and possibly ten couples, or the same couple ten times seen at various points around the journey.

And, for no change at all, the map.

07082016.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My ride yesterday: Time for my August effort for the Metric Century a Month Challenge, so off to Tewkesbury for the day with my audaxing buddy @jembullo. Glorious sunshine, great company, wonderful views. This was what audaxing is all about. At the first stop (Weston's Cider Mill at Much Marcle), Jem got this picture of me - for once not looking stern:
194 Mint Stalwart's Mania audax.JPG

After a gentle first leg to Much Marcle came the climbing leg of the ride, up into the Forest of Dean via Mitcheldean and Littledean before dropping down through the woods to the Dean Heritage Centre. Nothing too steep, and glorious views on the way:
195.JPG

I've often wanted to stop here (on the way up to Littledean) to take a picture, but felt compelled to keep up with others. Jem is a relaxed rider like me, and didn't mind the occasional stop for a photo opp:
196.JPG

The second control point was at the Dean Heritage Centre cafe near Soudley. I had the world's most eagerly awaited and best pot of tea, together with a piece of shortbread of spectacular awfulness (or it could have been very slightly sweetened, compressed wood cat litter) that dissolved into dry flavourless crumbs that sucked all the moisture out of your mouth as soon as you started to chew it.
197.JPG

While we were there, my friend and work colleague Lennie (who first got me into audaxing several years ago) showed up on a ride out from Gloucester:
198 Lennie.JPG

Made it back for beers on the lawn at the Royal Hop Pole pub at Tewkesbury via a long (43km) but mercifully flat third and final leg in hot sunshine, but with just enough of a cooling breeze to make it pleasant. Officially completed the 108km in 6 hours 40, but that included two relaxing cafe breaks. After the finish, we picked our way back to the car through the back streets of Tewkesbury:
199 Jem in Tewkesbury.JPG

Another superb Tewkesbury-based audax organised by Mark Rigby of the Black Sheep Cycling Club. Over the years, he has surely found all the quietest, most picturesque lanes in all of Gloucestershire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire, and this was no exception. A great day out. 67.7 miles in all.
Enjoy your rides everyone.

13 rider

Guru
Today target was August 100km ride and to reccee a route for a CC ride I'm organising in Sept. So set of in sunny but windy conditions riding to ride meet point at Market Bosworth . Anstey ,Newtown Linford, Markfield, and Market Bosworth headwind most off the way . Stopped at the car park to reset my strava and pulled up near 2 other riders who were chatting away when I heard forum ride and cycle chat :ohmy: mentioned looked up and I thought I now who that is (seen photos on Strava ) so I walked up to him put my hand out and said Carl ( @Lilliburlero ) looked little startled until I introduced myself after we both got over the shock of such an amazing coincidence we had a nice chat . We set off on soon parted company I set off on the first part of the loop I had previously riden though Sutton Cheney ,Dadlington ,Stoke Golding ,Fenny Drayton ,Atterton ,Witherley and Ratcliffe Culey .This is were I headed out on some new roads to me had studied the map last night and had a crib sheet so off exploring .Pinwall ,Warton ,Austrey ,Orton on the hill and Twycross for a coffee stop . Really needed a bit of fuel so a coke and ham sandwich while chatting to other cyclist sitting in the sun .So refreshed back to Market Bosworth via Snarestone ,Newton Burgoland ,Odestone, Carlton and back to the start point .So checked the milage need 18 miles for the metric century . So extended route home via Bagworth ,Thornton ,Ratby ,Groby and Anstey still a bit short so out to Thurcaston ,Cropston and Home . 66.8 miles in the bag really enjoyed the new roads just a bit to windy to be perfect last 5 miles were a real struggle . Can recommend the cafe Sweat tests in Twycross even offer to fill my water bottle without me asking .Still can't believe I bumped into @Lilliburlero what's the odds on both of us stopped at the same place at the same time when we live 20 miles apart :wacko:

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Today target was August 100km ride and to reccee a route for a CC ride I'm organising in Sept. So set of in sunny but windy conditions riding to ride meet point at Market Bosworth . Anstey ,Newtown Linford, Markfield, and Market Bosworth headwind most off the way . Stopped at the car park to reset my strava and pulled up near 2 other riders who were chatting away when I heard forum ride and cycle chat :ohmy: mentioned looked up and I thought I now who that is (seen photos on Strava ) so I walked up to him put my hand out and said Carl ( @Lilliburlero ) looked little startled until I introduced myself after we both got over the shock of such an amazing coincidence we had a nice chat . We set off on soon parted company I set off on the first part of the loop I had previously riden though Sutton Cheney ,Dadlington ,Stoke Golding ,Fenny Drayton ,Atterton ,Witherley and Ratcliffe Culey .This is were I headed out on some new roads to me had studied the map last night and had a crib sheet so off exploring .Pinwall ,Warton ,Austrey ,Orton on the hill and Twycross for a coffee stop . Really needed a bit of fuel so a coke and ham sandwich while chatting to other cyclist sitting in the sun .So refreshed back to Market Bosworth via Snarestone ,Newton Burgoland ,Odestone, Carlton and back to the start point .So checked the milage need 18 miles for the metric century . So extended route home via Bagworth ,Thornton ,Ratby ,Groby and Anstey still a bit short so out to Thurcaston ,Cropston and Home . 66.8 miles in the bag really enjoyed the new roads just a bit to windy to be perfect last 5 miles were a real struggle . Can recommend the cafe Sweat tests in Twycross even offer to fill my water bottle without me asking .Still can't believe I bumped into @Lilliburlero what's the odds on both of us stopped at the same place at the same time when we live 20 miles apart :wacko:

I'm hoping to get out that way sometime during the week.

Top Bottom