Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Two rides to report, so I'll get started on yesterdays ride first...

Needed to be at the station for the 10.53am, so set the alarm early to get in a ride beforehand.
Anyway, got out later than planned and thought I'd best get a wiggle on if I was going to squeeze in the metric half century I'd been thinking about.

So, quick warm up on local roads and then Leeds Road up to Scholes, right at the Coronation Tree and the short climb followed by the descent into Barwick, where I hooked a right down Long Lane to Garforth. On the A642 back up to the M1 roundabout where a motorcycling muppet decided he didn't like me taking the lane and passed far too closely (race replica bike, matching race replica leathers and helmet - all the gear, no idea) and on towards Aberford, where I became aware of another bike tucked in behind me. Yes, me! :laugh:
Anyhow, as soon as we turned off the main road for the run into Aberford he pulled alongside and we had a bit of a chat - turns he was out on a short 9-mile loop and was just waiting for a suitable place to pass (the A642 is a horrible bit of road at time). We wished each other a good ride as he accelerated off. I tried to keep up and failed :rolleyes: but at least I might have managed to set off the "Slow Down" sign entering the village...:whistle:
Left and the climb up to Lotherton Hall, then Copley Lane and on to Saxton, heading out to Barkston Ash from there and down Common Lane to Church Fenton.
Straight up past the airfield gates (Buck Lane?) towards Ulleskelf, (signs up warning this road will be closed for 2 days from 10/08) and up and over the railway line and the long slog up Raw Lane back to the A162.
Right at the end and along, then down the hill taking the turn into Stutton, before the Garnet Lane climb and over the A64 and on to Toulston Lane towards Bramham.
I was becoming increasingly aware of the time at this point - I could see I'd have to get a wriggle on, so it was head down and the most direct route home now.
Over the A1(M) bridge and straight on Thorner Rd, through Wothersome dip and the grind to the top of Church Hill, before plunging down into Thorner, along Main Street and then the inevitable climb up Van Zyl Hill, which wasn't as bad as I'd been expecting.
Then Skeltons Lane, Coal Road and local roads to home, leaving me just enough time for a quick shower and change before heading out and getting to the station with 10 minutes to spare. Naturally the train was delayed...:rolleyes:

32.30 miles (51.98km) in 2h 7m at an average of 15.2mph, with 1,443ft climbed. That's a good average speed for me and I also set a new 'fastest 40km' of 1h 34m (15.7mph), so perhaps I need to put myself under pressure a bit more often :laugh: Great day to be out cycling, lots of others out doing the same and, apart from the Marc Marquez wannabe, barely a numpty on the roads.

The only downside is that pushing on meant that there was no time for photos, but here is a map:
06082016.JPG

13 rider

Guru
Two rides to report, so I'll get started on yesterdays ride first...

Needed to be at the station for the 10.53am, so set the alarm early to get in a ride beforehand.
Anyway, got out later than planned and thought I'd best get a wiggle on if I was going to squeeze in the metric half century I'd been thinking about.

So, quick warm up on local roads and then Leeds Road up to Scholes, right at the Coronation Tree and the short climb followed by the descent into Barwick, where I hooked a right down Long Lane to Garforth. On the A642 back up to the M1 roundabout where a motorcycling muppet decided he didn't like me taking the lane and passed far too closely (race replica bike, matching race replica leathers and helmet - all the gear, no idea) and on towards Aberford, where I became aware of another bike tucked in behind me. Yes, me! :laugh:
Anyhow, as soon as we turned off the main road for the run into Aberford he pulled alongside and we had a bit of a chat - turns he was out on a short 9-mile loop and was just waiting for a suitable place to pass (the A642 is a horrible bit of road at time). We wished each other a good ride as he accelerated off. I tried to keep up and failed :rolleyes: but at least I might have managed to set off the "Slow Down" sign entering the village...:whistle:
Left and the climb up to Lotherton Hall, then Copley Lane and on to Saxton, heading out to Barkston Ash from there and down Common Lane to Church Fenton.
Straight up past the airfield gates (Buck Lane?) towards Ulleskelf, (signs up warning this road will be closed for 2 days from 10/08) and up and over the railway line and the long slog up Raw Lane back to the A162.
Right at the end and along, then down the hill taking the turn into Stutton, before the Garnet Lane climb and over the A64 and on to Toulston Lane towards Bramham.
I was becoming increasingly aware of the time at this point - I could see I'd have to get a wriggle on, so it was head down and the most direct route home now.
Over the A1(M) bridge and straight on Thorner Rd, through Wothersome dip and the grind to the top of Church Hill, before plunging down into Thorner, along Main Street and then the inevitable climb up Van Zyl Hill, which wasn't as bad as I'd been expecting.
Then Skeltons Lane, Coal Road and local roads to home, leaving me just enough time for a quick shower and change before heading out and getting to the station with 10 minutes to spare. Naturally the train was delayed...:rolleyes:

32.30 miles (51.98km) in 2h 7m at an average of 15.2mph, with 1,443ft climbed. That's a good average speed for me and I also set a new 'fastest 40km' of 1h 34m (15.7mph), so perhaps I need to put myself under pressure a bit more often :laugh: Great day to be out cycling, lots of others out doing the same and, apart from the Marc Marquez wannabe, barely a numpty on the roads.

The only downside is that pushing on meant that there was no time for photos, but here is a map:
View attachment 138292
And did you slow down ? you Hooligan

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Today target was August 100km ride and to reccee a route for a CC ride I'm organising in Sept. So set of in sunny but windy conditions riding to ride meet point at Market Bosworth . Anstey ,Newtown Linford, Markfield, and Market Bosworth headwind most off the way . Stopped at the car park to reset my strava and pulled up near 2 other riders who were chatting away when I heard forum ride and cycle chat :ohmy: mentioned looked up and I thought I now who that is (seen photos on Strava ) so I walked up to him put my hand out and said Carl ( @Lilliburlero ) looked little startled until I introduced myself after we both got over the shock of such an amazing coincidence we had a nice chat . We set off on soon parted company I set off on the first part of the loop I had previously riden though Sutton Cheney ,Dadlington ,Stoke Golding ,Fenny Drayton ,Atterton ,Witherley and Ratcliffe Culey .This is were I headed out on some new roads to me had studied the map last night and had a crib sheet so off exploring .Pinwall ,Warton ,Austrey ,Orton on the hill and Twycross for a coffee stop . Really needed a bit of fuel so a coke and ham sandwich while chatting to other cyclist sitting in the sun .So refreshed back to Market Bosworth via Snarestone ,Newton Burgoland ,Odestone, Carlton and back to the start point .So checked the milage need 18 miles for the metric century . So extended route home via Bagworth ,Thornton ,Ratby ,Groby and Anstey still a bit short so out to Thurcaston ,Cropston and Home . 66.8 miles in the bag really enjoyed the new roads just a bit to windy to be perfect last 5 miles were a real struggle . Can recommend the cafe Sweat tests in Twycross even offer to fill my water bottle without me asking .Still can't believe I bumped into @Lilliburlero what's the odds on both of us stopped at the same place at the same time when we live 20 miles apart :wacko:

Nice miles @13 rider and it was great meeting you at last. I`m still in shock :laugh: it was a 1 in a million chance meeting :hyper:. Looking forward to riding with you on the forum ride in a few weeks time :hello:

I popped a 60km`er in with my mate today at a decent pace considering the windy conditions (61.8 km @29.1 kmph). I must admit that my mate Paul brings the best out of my legs :bicycle:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Up late this morning after returning home from my thespian exploits at 1 in the morning. A bit of gardening and bike cleaning, plus some lethargy!
It must have been gone 3 by the time I got my arse into gear. It's sunny and windy here today, so I put some sun cream on my face.

The hill down into Bourn past the Lalbagh curry house was interesting. Blinding sun, a screaming head wind and plenty of potholes to contend with. Not the ideal time for a winged critter to glue itself to the bridge of my nose! I couldn't let go of the bars, but the little bugger, pressed against my nose was wiggling and flapping, but not getting anywhere. After a bit of nose scrunching and head waggling it was free. I must have looked a complete tit! (As ever)

Along the Old Wimpole ridge road I had a bit of a tail wind. It's very narrow, I wish oncoming cars would alter their speed as they approach.

image.jpeg

On to Orwell and I just about had enough road to reach 30 mph on the flat, just!
Barrington was looking splendid and well heeled as ever. Lazy Gits drinking in the sunshine at the pub.

The only thing rough in the village is the road surface!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then came Barrington Hill, the longer, opposite of Chapel Hill. Not been this way for a while. Very nice it was too.
I then elected to lengthen the ride and sample a bit more headwind by going through Harlton, Eversdens and Kingston, before being slightly assisted up the hill from Toft. 25 breezy, warm miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/667915219

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Right, todays report now...

Out quite late for me, just before 10 and the first thing I noticed was how windy it was. And not just ordinary windy, but really blustery with it changing direction a lot.
Anyhow, i was up and out, so off I went.
Onto Coal Road first and then skeltons Lane where I got a decent wriggle on, before heading down the hill into Thorner (road surface is still as lumpy as ever...), through the village and out up the hill onto Milner Lane, riding along the ridge to East Rigton before picking up Bramham Lane for a lovely ride between the hedgerows offering a decent amount of shelter from the wind. Eventually climbed back up to Thorner Lane and then headed for Bramham, getting a real wind assisted spurt of speed on through the dip (so much that I barely noticed the climb up the other side) and onto to Thorner Road, taking West Woods Road just before reaching Bramham. Now this was odd - heading north(ish)the wind was constantly switching between being in my face and a crosswind along here, despite the forecast direction of coming from WSW...:dry:
Anyhow, Wattlesyke roundabout reaching it was the normally rapid descent into Wetherby, still tempered by an unexpected headwind.
Into Wetherby itself and after a loop of the town, out on Horsefair and then over the A1(M) and on towards Thorp Arch.
At the turning I was now facing south and yet had a headwind again. Very odd weather...:dry:
A quick loop around to Walton and then down to the bridge over the River Wharf, where I stopped for a drink and a photo:
IMG_20160807_110653490_2.jpg

Back in the saddle and the climb up into Boston Spa, a wiggle through the village and then on to Clifford, before plunging down the hill to Bramham and climbing back up towards the A1(M) bridge, where I might have passed @Old jon taking 5 minutes at the end of Paradise Way? We both said hello anyway! :laugh:
Over the bridge and the climb (into the wind again), before heading back up Thorner Lane, then Milner Lane and back into Thorner itself and back home the way I'd come, struggling down Main Street into quite a headwind, then up Van Zyl Hill, (slowly) along Skeltons Lane, Coal Road and local roads to home.

28.18 miles (45.35km) in 2hrs dead, at an average of 14.1mph with 1,519ft climbed - although today was a lot harder work than yesterdays longer ride thanks to the wind, which never seemed to be able to make up it's mind where it was coming from, other than to be in my face far too much for my liking...:rolleyes:

07082016.JPG

But a good ride, lots of other cyclists about and that's what counts. :okay:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Another long commute home today after a 12hr night shift, will I ever learn:laugh: Same route as yesterday, plus a tiny bit more to make it more than 20 miles. It was proper windy this morning, and one of those 360 degree headwinds I just couldn't get away from. I did pause briefly for a photo on the bridge between Eton & Windsor
7 August 2016 Eton Bridge.jpg

Very tired when I got home.
After a snooze I took the Brompton into Egham to watch the Egham Brass Band playing, and my lad playing in the Egham Youth Band, they're really rather good.

My Sportive today was the Haywards Heath Howler.
I booked this before Mum died so I did this ride in her Memory

It was certainly an epic ride
Look at the profile for a start
hhh profile.jpg

The bid spike in the middle was Ditchling Beacon, Some of the later hills weere in the Ashdown Forest
Went up Kidds Lane the slightly easier way (aka the Wall)
And look at those hillsafter the 80 mile mark where the last feed stop was.
Really had to dig deep.
Shut up legs and all that

E
hhh profile.jpg
Early part of the ride was very misty and Ditchling Beacon was in the clouds

Not much of the ride was on the flat
After about 11 the sun appeared
The part nearest Ditchling was as level as it got
Official distance 103 miles, ave speed 13.6 mph
For me amazing climbing 8652 feet
https://www.strava.com/activities/667980244/

Dark46

Veteran
Yep ive done it again ive type a load then accidently deleted the whole thing.

Well today was just over 45 miles today and my first ride with Stroud Valley Velos and it was a joy to ride. Plus my first ride with my new Giro Atmos 2 helmet.

I went with the chilled group as I rode over to Stroud from Gloucester to start the ride as the officail ride was only 25 miles and i just wanted to do more.

I went with @Frazzle, the only down side of the ride was the beginning was the headwind down the A38 on the way to Stroud.

The group ride would have been perfect for @Donger as it was at his pace and there was plenty of chatter to be had along the ride , getting to know everyone on the ride while making sure everyone was ok as the group rode at the slowest persons pace.

The ride went the opposite way round to what I`m used but went throught Stonehouse, Haresfield,Hardwick on to the Elmore loop before stopping at Saul Junction to stop for coffee.
From here it was to Whitminster and Eastington and Frocester. From there it was a short ride to Cainscross where @Frazzle and I split from the grou to head home via Horsepools hill.

Down Horsepools it was the first time that I really tried going on the drops for any sort of period of time, I held off @Frazzle but to be honest I dont know how far behind he was before the decent.

So to sum up a great ride with a great bunch and i will be going again.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
First decent ride I've managed to get out on for a while now, as 'stuff' has been getting in the way, unfortunately..

Never mind, today was a breezy ride westwards into the wind, hoping for more of a tailwind on the way home. I took the CX as I fancied some off road miles as well as some tarmac on the return leg.

IMG_20160807_181135.jpg

DSC_0737.JPG

I rode past the Avon offices and up the track to the back end of Delapre Park before using the canal banks towards the M1, where I cut underneath it and up the flight of 12 or 13 locks.

IMG_20160807_181343.jpg

Wire people, beside the locks

As Blisworth and Stoke Bruerne would be heaving on a sunny Sunday, I decided to explore the canal t'other way towards Nether Heyford and Weedon Bec. Some of it is quite lumpy and overgrown as it's not as well used as the main navigation areas, but still rideable, albeit with a few scratches and nettle bites.
Sitting on top of one of the canal boats I passed, I saw a chap dressed in a purple suite wearing a matching purple top hat. I said 'hello' as I pedalled past, expecting a 'Hey Nonny No' in return, but it was his good lady that replied as he sat deep in contemplation. I think it might have been Tom Bombadil. Who knows....

As I was getting a fair distance from home, I decided to find a lane or two back to civilization. The first lane zigzagged into Flore and the busy A45 so, after a few hundred yards, I used a quieter lane to the Bringtons and onto the Nobottle Road.

I had a lovely tailwind to blow me to Duston where I cut through a big new housing development around St Crispins old hospital, then onto the river and canal bank back homewards.

DSC_0762.JPG

Back on 40 miles in lovely, but windy, weather. No cake or coffee stops this time, so I poured myself a pint in the garden before I dusted the CX down and swapped the tyres front to back to even out the wear that was starting to show.

https://www.strava.com/activities/667667411

:smile:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.2 miles again today, this time I've rehabbed and adjusted the old Cateye micro bike computer on my Trek 600, so Ii am more mindful of my speed as I go along. It seems to challenge and help me as I strive for a bit more speed. Pretty cycling weather, but only a few folks out there .
80F
27C
Winds NE7
Relative humidity51%
Barometer 30.06
Partly cloudy

Alex H

Legendary Member
Sunday's tandem ride was our longest so far - trying to build up the km slowly to aid Mrs H's recovery from hip-op :okay:

The destination was the lake at Saint Mathieu, unbeknown to us though, was the fact it's one of the affected lakes in the Limousin that has a problem with Blue-Green Algae. Consequently there was very little water and even less people. A bit of a disaster for the campsite / gite complex and the guy that runs the summer cafe :sad:

P8070300.jpg

On the way back took this photo of the newly renovated chateau at Rochechouart - The exterior walls have been completey 'plastered'.

P8070299.jpg

Route

Screenshot from 2016-08-08 08-06-04.png

48km in 2 1/2 hours, 697m of climb

Top Bottom