Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Blimey! Sorry to hear that. Where exactly is "round here"?

Biggin Hill and surrounds. We've done plenty of evening rides, but last night wasn't a good one and we were only out for fifty minutes. Lots of boy racers too.

It was one of those stupid overtakes into on coming traffic on a narrow country lane that prompted my post. I was paralysed with fear as I saw it unfold around my mate - I couldn't warn him without putting him in further danger. I have no idea how it did not end in twisted metal and shattered glass.

But it didn't, thankfully.

It's the second time I've had a front row seat as a mates life is put in serious danger because of a bad driver. I really don't like it.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
13 miles +635ft Avg 15mph 51 mins

What should have been a nice easy short evening ride with a buddy was ruined by screaming abuse and later a near death experience.

Turns out that Friday evening rides round here aren't a wise move. Sigh.
Biggin Hill and surrounds. We've done plenty of evening rides, but last night wasn't a good one and we were only out for fifty minutes. Lots of boy racers too.

It was one of those stupid overtakes into on coming traffic on a narrow country lane that prompted my post. I was paralysed with fear as I saw it unfold around my mate - I couldn't warn him without putting him in further danger. I have no idea how it did not end in twisted metal and shattered glass.

But it didn't, thankfully.

It's the second time I've had a front row seat as a mates life is put in serious danger because of a bad driver. I really don't like it.
I'll give a like for telling us about it but :eek: for the incident. Overtakes into the face of oncoming traffic seem to be becoming more common in my perception (when I'm on the bike or in the car). What is wrong with people?:wacko:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Not the best ride for some strange reason and i cant tell you why this mornings ride was like that

Added 11 miles of new to me roads to a loop i already use just to give it some variety , nice roads to ride on .

Bike went well just couldnt get a going in a nice way , very strange but there you go , i stayed with it .

Once home checked saddle height and saddle angle both miles out for some reason so might explain some of it who knows

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I tend to get off the main roads asap.specially now during the school holidays. Lots of drivers come.for the holiday.and they are not the best drivers it has to be said. Thank god they never wander down the narrow lanes.

gaz71

Über Member
Ive just got back from a 21 mile ride( with some company for a change).Started at Kingston bridge,then down to Hampton Court,onto Walton,back through Moseley,then up to Esher,down to Surbiton then Kingston,back to Hampton Court,through Bushy Park then home to Teddington.Had a great time,hopefully do something simular tomorrow.

Tin Pot

Guru
Short utility ride, found the perfect place to lock up matching yesterday's mood ;)

image.jpeg

(Don't worry, it was only there for five minutes.)

gavgav

Guru
A rubbish week of stress on a number of fronts meant a much needed ride in the sunshine this morning.

Went for a fairly hilly one, out through the estate and onto the horrid short section of A458 before turning onto the lanes to Berrington and Cound. Up the fairly steep climb on Kenley Bank and then a pause on one of my favourite benches for a drink and chocolate stop.
image.jpeg

A bit more climbing and then steep descent around to Harnage, before more downhill to Coundmoor and back into Cound.

Decided to take the narrow lane up to Acton Pigott, instead of re-tracing my steps and I'd forgotten how much it climbs up to Acton Burnell.

Nice quick section to Pitchford, before a climb to Cantlop and Betton abbots and home along the bumpy temporary surface.

24.7 miles and 1205ft of climbing. Could have happily stayed out longer, but needed to be back to get lunch for dad before we go to the first football match of the season later on.

Needed that!

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Lovely day today so set off on the Pashley :smile:
Really enjoyed toddling along with the sun on my back and listening to the lovely "chugging" sound the bike makes, almost like a little engine (sometimes wish it was :whistle:).
Saw a family out for a bike ride and passed 2 roadies :hello:
Feel very lucky to be able to ride on quietish roads with nice scenery.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Leith Hill, White Downs Lane, Ranmore Common and Box Hill with CCers @Tim Hall , @Bollo and @Shadow.
Perfect conditions and a lovely cycle ride. :okay: Stopped at the bike shop/cafe in Box Hill Village, a place which I'm happy to recommend. Started and finished at Ockley Station.
Squillions of cyclists, and more traffic than I'm used to, but it's lovely cycling country.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Cracking ride today. Left the house at just gone 6:30, already sunny and warm and very little wind. Hardly any traffic about for the whole ride but plenty of cyclists out, same as last week a whole range of people and bikes.
There appears to be more women cyclists out and about lately, no idea if this is true or I'm just becoming more observant.

Anyway, onto the ride, I've had a lazy week with the miles this week, but I knew I would be out today so didn't feel too guilty. Did a couple of nice climbs today, Neville Holt which is 273 feet of climbing in less than a mile :eek: (a mountain for a hill hater like myself) then I did Gumley which is a much more relaxed 136 feet in just over half a mile. Neville Holt done circa 40 miles into the ride and Gumley circa 50 miles.

Heading from Medbourne (just after doing Neville Holt) I have a couple of bikes come by me so I sit on their wheels and have a few easy miles ^_^

One of them was so much better than the other that he kept dropping him, I offered to drag him back up and off I went, caught the other rider up and looked back and the lad was a fair way behind, oops!

No cafe stop this week, but I did stop next to the duck pond in Fleckney to have cheese and onion pasty at around 60 miles.

By the time I got home I'd done 107 miles at an average 16.8mph, which I was surprised at as it was quite a hilly ride and I didn't push it at all, those few mile with the faster bloke must have really helped.

I need to cut the grass but think I might opt for some beer and watch a bit of the Olympic road race instead:rolleyes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/666370917

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Cycling has taken a bit of a back seat at the moment as I'm looking to move house in the near future so hopefully, fingers crossed, my rides will soon have a new start & finish point.

Starting a little later than anticipated, todays sortie was my plan B for this very eventuality as plan A was a little longer & I needed to get back so into the Test Valley it was on a pleasant August morning, although there still seemed to be a fresh breeze coming from somewhere.

There were plenty of cyclists about, both weekend warriors & families, as I made my way out of the forest & onto Braishfield, Kings Somborne & Stockbridge on quiet roads & country lanes, some in better condition than others although thankfully all obviously dry.

Lunch was taken 25 miles in & I headed back on a slightly different route to normal, via West Tytherley, West Dean & Whaddon to Downton, just to check out routes in case I get the house I want. (although I may need to find a way round the short, sharp 11% hill just before Downton!!)

62.6 miles in all so Augusts metric ton is done & dusted nice & early.

https://www.strava.com/activities/666403789

013.JPG

016.JPG

015.JPG

Levo-Lon

Guru
What a warm one...Waverley woods ...I think I got close to Overheat. .
I think I need to get a better vented lid for the hot days..the urge lids are a bit too warm..
Very similar route to Thursday night ride as everywhere is dry so it's a nice ride ..

Screenshot_2016-08-06-17-03-19.png

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Legs were still a bit stiff but I joined the gang for the Saturday ride. Sara P, Peter T, Mark L and me in the Green with Julian H and Margaret P-R in Upton. We took the standard run down through the Castlemorton Lanes for Hethelpit X and the loop around Upleadon for Newent. My phone rang so I had about an hour to get back. My niece from New Zealand was visiting. So I couldn't stop at the cafe and took the shortest run back by The Scarr and Redmarley D'Abitot. I put the chain up on the big ring and ignored the complaints from my legs. I got back in time and had a lovely if short time with my niece. Good stuff.

Top Bottom