Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was supposed to by riding with young Charlie, but I think the wind put the wind up him!
I decided to go out on the Trek as it hadn't moved in a fair bit. I propped the bike against the bin outside the garage and pumped the tyres, put the pump away, started to shut the garage door.... And remembered I didn't have any repair kit or a pump on the bike. Oh, sod it. Take a gamble! It worked!
Just a short ride around Bourn and Kingston. In Kingston I saw some nice yellowhammers, goldfinches and a massive flock of Housemartins on the wing above a barn, twittering away.

Just an 11 mile ride to blow the cobwebs away. I'll be riding with young Charlie tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/664527848#kudos

Levo-Lon

Guru
Nice evening mtb ride in and around Wakerley woods with son in law..
10 mile of dry trails...excellent ride..

Screenshot_2016-08-04-21-30-16.png

Buck

Guru
Went out with Mrs Buck and Buck Jrs on Wednesday and after a nice picnic we headed up the side of Ladybower reservoir then a circuit around Derwent and Howden reservoirs.

The journey there was over The Strines - all nicely resurfaced - must pick up my courage and have a go sometime soon....anyway back to the ride...

IMG_3099.JPG

Apart from one shower, a lovely bright day although the headwind was very strong and youngest Buck did find it hard going at times but fair play to him he kept going (OK a little help from me here and there!) Lots of other cyclist and walkers out enjoying the scenery as well.

You can see the swell on the reservoir in this picture
IMG_3102.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG

Overall 14 miles and 1448ft of climb.

And with that I have now done over 1000 miles so far this year :smile: I might have to revise my target of 500 miles upwards a little!!

Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 01.04.15.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/663269492

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A nice 20 miles yesterday morning, trying to ride at a slightly lower pace to gear up for a longer ride, so kept to a steady 14-15mph throughout. Usual sort of territory around Thorpe, Chertsey and Laleham.
Discovered a lack of food for dinner when I got home so popped to Sainsburys on the Brompton, find the S bag useful as a basket to put the bits in as I go round.
Day completed by commuting into w*rk for the first shift since returning from holiday, so 34 miles for the day all told, on 3 different bikes.

Old jon

Guru
I pedalled away from home this morning with no clear idea of where I was going, the grey cell was probably asleep. Once I had ridden down Dewsbury Road and onto Jack Lane the decisions had been made, so onto the towpath I go, Viaduct Road and Cardigan Road and into Headingley. I had decided to ride along the A 660 all the way to Otley, it is quite a while since I descended Leeds Road.

A sandwich stop at the maypole while I gathered the motivation for climbing Pool Bank. Riding along the valley bottom road with a tailwind was pleasant, the village of Pool was as usual a bit trafficcy and then the hill. I still lack the lungs and the legs to ride it in one go, two stops on the way up. Will do better next time, I hope. Turn left at the Dyneley Arms, the filter road is still steep, and an all too short stretch of flat riding before turning right to pedal up the sharp rise into Old Bramhope. This road meanders along to the top of Cookridge, still lumpy in places. The long gentle drop from there through Lawnswood and Headingley feels like it has been properly earned, then home via Kirkstall and the towpath again to complete 29.1 bright and breezy miles.

A map of the proceedings, because Garmin can. And does.

05082016.jpg

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Went out with Mrs Buck and Buck Jrs on Wednesday and after a nice picnic we headed up the side of Ladybower reservoir then a circuit around Derwent and Howden reservoirs.

The journey there was over The Strines - all nicely resurfaced - must pick up my courage and have a go sometime soon....anyway back to the ride...

View attachment 137800

Apart from one shower, a lovely bright day although the headwind was very strong and youngest Buck did find it hard going at times but fair play to him he kept going (OK a little help from me here and there!) Lots of other cyclist and walkers out enjoying the scenery as well.

You can see the swell on the reservoir in this picture
View attachment 137801

View attachment 137802
Overall 14 miles and 1448ft of climb.

And with that I have now done over 1000 miles so far this year :smile: I might have to revise my target of 500 miles upwards a little!!

View attachment 137799
https://www.strava.com/activities/663269492

Lovely pics. Wigtwizzle has been making me smile, got to be worth a visit surely?

Alex H

Legendary Member
A bit cool this morning at 08:00 - 12°C, so a long sleeved jersey was in order :eek:, a lot of mist about and cloud - it is August isn't it?

After taking pictures of Stage 4 of the tour, I thought I'd return and have a go myself ^_^.

The long way round Saint Junien to avoid the awkward road 'features' and onto the road for Bellac. After Mortemart the road becomes this:

P8050289.jpg

Very straight and up, down, up, down (6 times I think:blink:)

After Bellac, a town I think is still in the 1950's, there is a bypass, and the nice French Transport Department have provided a cycle path so that you don't have to mix it with those nasty cars and lorries on the roundabout.

P8050290.jpg

I did, however, have to use the Route National for a few km until I could turn off. It was newly surfaced :okay:. I wasn't so impressed with the lorries though, but, it is the main route from the A20 motorway to Poitiers. After leaving the wonderful surface and getting back to the carp, I arrived at the village of Droux, which was on the route of Stage 4. A quick stop at the church to check the map and have an apple. :smile:

P8050291.jpg

Followed the route, up the Col de Maison Neuve (4th cat climb), which was not too difficult and I am happy to say completed without the aid of my granny gears :laugh:. After reaching the spot where I had been taking photos, I remembered seeing an odd structure over the fields.

P8050294.jpg

It is a Buddhist monastery and here is the big fellow in the garden enjoying the sun.

P8050295.jpg

This is the hill down after the climb up. I have no idea what it means - steep? very steep?

P8050293.jpg

About a km further on I reached the village of Rancon, which is the proud owner of a Lanterne des Mortes. This one is not in the cemetery for some reason, which make it even more curious.

P8050296.jpg

From here it was on to Nantiat, where I had lunch in a bus shelter, being the only place available with a seat ^_^

P8050297.jpg

Onwards to Cieux, where I stopped again overlooking the lake - it's a lot bigger than this photo, the camera can't cope.

P8050298.jpg

Finally back home via Oradour-sur-Glane and Saint Junien - here is the route

Screenshot from 2016-08-05 15-53-09.png

108.5km in 5hrs 15 min

1509m of ascent :ohmy::ohmy:

The funny thing is, according to Plotaroute, the steepest hill on that route is the one coming up from the Vienne, about 2km from my house! :laugh:

Supposed to be tapering off, did perhaps a little more than I should have.

After Tite Hill twice, did Priest Hill twice, Crimp Hill, and Prune Hill. The did a loop via Cranbourne, back via Callow Hill.

Nice weather, perhaps a little carried away.

34.81 miles @ 14.9 mph. Slow but because there was 1913 feet of climbing

https://www.strava.com/activities/665250555

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
First ride didn't go to plan. I was supposed to be accompanying Mrs W to her mother's before going on a bit further. Instead I found myself fixing a brand new chain which had sheared open, fortunately just before a hill and only a quarter mile after a park bench which provided a decent substitute bike stand. Thank goodness for multitools with chain tools and for quick links - but dock me a mark for joining it without checking that the chain was through the front derailleur.... Whoever posted a link to CTC advice on how to use a chain wheel and a heavy object to open a quick link - thank you. I didn't expect to need the information so soon.

My second ride, a simple commute across London, was much more straightforward.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A lovely gentle 44 miler here today into the rolling Suffolk/ Cambs border country then onto the fens.

image.jpeg

The view to the fens from the hills near Great Wilbraham.

image.jpeg

On past the big wind farm.

image.jpeg

On past Brinkley and Into Suffolk, a nice quiet spot for a break.

image.jpeg

Through Kirtling, Upend and Ashley, I was briefly back in Cambs then the road I was on formed the border. The view from the hill was good today- I could see well into Norfolk. Then on down the hill to Moulton, through Kennet and Chippenham Park.

image.jpeg

Back in Cambs, the road into Snailwell. Back then again into Suffolk at Landwade to take the bridleway to Burwell.

image.jpeg

It's a nice route if a little lumpy from all the horses. It was goodbye to Suffolk for the last time at this point and out onto Burwell Fen.

image.jpeg

Burwell Fen and a final stop for a cuppa. I was watching a hobby hunting dragonflies when 3 large birds caught my eye in the distance. At first I thought- herons but they were too big and wrong shape. They were cranes! Looked like two adults and a young'un. My first UK wild crane sighting ever. Topped a lovely ride before the final 6 mile saunter home.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I worked late on Wednesday, as a result I was off like a shot at 1.30 this afternoon!
Charlie eventually turned up and we set off toward Knapwell. The last weather forecast I saw said 9mph winds, I'm not so sure about that. More like 20 in places.
Up over the hill after Elsworth, then on to Hilton. From Hilton we had some stern headwinds to contend with, poor old (young) Charlie dropped off, I waited at the top of the hill in Graveley.

image.jpeg

We found our way to Waresley, stopping for a brew at the garden centre in the sunshine. We then rode down to Gamlingay before hitting Charlie with a few cheeky slopes before we reached The Gransdens.
Home via Bourn and Toft. From Toft to Hardwick his battery went flat, even so, he said he had a great time. Me too!

Charlie had ridden 13 miles to get to my house, I'd ridden about the same on my commute. Plus 37 on our ride together, that's 50 each for the day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/665529096

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
while in a hotel, trying to at least burn off some of the excess calories I'm taking in with a half hour on the gym cycling machines every other day at least.
I'd do longer...but the sweat just pours out of you with having to wear a t shirt, absolutely drenched afterwards, so much so I'm walking up 9 stories of stairs afterwards to avoid getting in the lifts soaking wet. The walking up leaves.me more breathless than the cycling...strewth.
All in the name of maintaining fragile fitness....:okay:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
13 miles +635ft Avg 15mph 51 mins

What should have been a nice easy short evening ride with a buddy was ruined by screaming abuse and later a near death experience.

Turns out that Friday evening rides round here aren't a wise move. Sigh.

Blimey! Sorry to hear that. Where exactly is "round here"?

Top Bottom