205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm not thinking whether it's possible, more 'why?'
Snow/ ice, wind and illness and just the dread of having to do it in February once the mindless drudgery sets in! [ Being so cheerful keeps me going! :biggrin: ]

I know of the cyclist in question through Audaxing. He's a bit obsessive to put it mildly. In 2007 he scored 405 points on the the audax points table which meant that he'd ridden at least 40,000 km in audax governed events - he's nearest competitor cycled 19,000 km. The closest anyone in the audax world has got to him since then is 33,000 km

RedRider

Pulling through
It's an incredible challenge. Doable maybe, but not without luck, guts and support.There's a good website about the current record/record holder...
thumbs_tommy-godwin-october.jpg

dodgy

I can't find anything regarding his bike choice? I must be missing it, it has to be there surely? If not, he's missing a trick.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
He's a good chap Steve. He mostly posts on YACF. A good few of us have ridden with him at one time or the other. he mostly rides fixed but for this challenge I think he will be running geard.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The first time I met Steve was at a YACF hostelling weekend in Kildale in the North Yorkshire Moors. He rode up on the Saturday from Milton Keynes to meet everyone and join in for a few hours. Slept for a couple bit and then set off back home to MK in the early hours of Sunday morning. At the time it was -10 degC overnight - cold enough to kill the primer fuel pump in my car outside.

He's a very hard rider, and if there's one person who could make this work then I would say he is him. However he is not a media person and I'd bet that as the team fall in line over the next few weeks a lot of the rough edges will be knocked off that site.

frank9755

Cyclist
He's a very hard rider, and if there's one person who could make this work then I would say he is him. However he is not a media person.
Absolutely, he's about as hard as just about anyone who's ridden a bike.

I'm not thinking whether it's possible, more 'why?'
Snow/ ice, wind and illness and just the dread of having to do it in February once the mindless drudgery sets in!
And I agree with you that the mental side is probably the hardest bit.

I thought that Steve was the only person who would even attempt this, but there is now an American guy who is also going for it.
http://www.tarzanrides.com/
Slightly different strategy: he's going to head down to Florida for Jan and Feb for warm winter weather and flat roads, then move north as things warm up. He'll have a support vehicle, probably a motorhome, and is aiming to only ride 12 hours a day but aim to do it at faster speed so he gets good distances but with longer recovery time. He'll probably build up a lead over Steve in the first couple of months, but probably won't be able to match the daily distances Steve will be able to do when we get into Spring and Summer over here.
The other guy is certainly credible. He's done RAAM and lots of 12- and 24-hour TTs. And he probably has the edge in organisation and back-up, as well as easier terrain. But I find it hard to see anyone beating Steve at this.
Either way, there should be a bit of media interest as the year progresses.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Steve's got a good team behind him now. Raleigh are providing bikes, Schwalbe, tyres, with Brooks and Carradice confirmed, and others in discussion.
Many very kind people are making donations and monthly subscriptions. It's looking as though he'll be able to compete on equal terms against the US contender.
It's going to be an epic year.

Col5632

Guru
Sorry if i've overlooked it but would it not be easier just to do the same 205 mile route or atleast finish at his house each day?

I wish him good luck, that's a crazy challenge to take on and one most of us would never manage

Top Bottom