21/10/13 - female cyclist down in Camden - Tipper lorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The bottom photo shows a non-working light, lop-sided guards, and an apparently bent down nearside.

I think that's an indicator that's still flashing if you compare it to the front view.

buggi

Bird Saviour
he should have seen her, she obviously knew he was turning left and decided to go up the outside not realising he would have to pull wide to make the turn. He may have been too busy looking for cyclists undertaking on the left side, if he knew there was a lane, not thinking a cyclist would overtake on the right. Cycle lanes should be abolished!! Cyclists should be in primary, not up the side of them where there is limited visibility. With the amount of deaths in London why are cyclists still taking chances round lorries? Why is word not getting to these cyclists?? I'm not blaming the cyclist, the lorry driver should look, but its self preservation! She is unlikely to recover properly, he has to live with what he's done. More needs to be done to educate both parties.
edited: bcoz on re-reading that sounds like I'm saying lorry drivers aren't to blame, but i don't mean it like that... It would be great if they used those things they call mirrors and checked their blind spots but this is the real world and we all know the poor design of lorries and miseducated drivers. We have to look out for ourselves coz no one else is!

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
edited: bcoz on re-reading that sounds like I'm saying lorry drivers aren't to blame, but i don't mean it like that... It would be great if they used those things they call mirrors and checked their blind spots but this is the real world and we all know the poor design of lorries and miseducated drivers. We have to look out for ourselves coz no one else is!

You hit the nail on the head buggi.
Some cyclists really do have to take a long hard look at themselves and how they ride. Today I saw a cyclists go up the inside of a left turning bus. He had to brake sharpish and wheel himself back out of danger. What does go through these cyclists minds? What makes them think that it is anyway safe to attempt a manoeuvre like that?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
What does go through these cyclists minds? What makes them think that it is anyway safe to attempt a manoeuvre like that?

I don't think anything goes through the minds of a lot of people to be honest, a lot of cyclists just aren't road aware.

I know that if I am approaching a set of traffic lights and the car in front is a little too far to the left for my liking I will stop maybe a car or 2 back where there is plenty of space rather that trying to barge my way to the front, and if there is a bus or lorry stopped in traffic I wouldn't even think about trying to squeeze down the side of it and risk getting squashed but there are plenty on the road that do that everyday.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't think anything goes through the minds of a lot of people to be honest, a lot of cyclists just aren't road aware.

I know that if I am approaching a set of traffic lights and the car in front is a little too far to the left for my liking I will stop maybe a car or 2 back where there is plenty of space rather that trying to barge my way to the front, and if there is a bus or lorry stopped in traffic I wouldn't even think about trying to squeeze down the side of it and risk getting squashed but there are plenty on the road that do that everyday.

Indeed, you only have to watch some of @gaz 's you tube vids to see the amount of cyclists that do take those risks.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Indeed, you only have to watch some of @gaz 's you tube vids to see the amount of cyclists that do take those risks.
i feel like dragging my ass to London and standing on the streets handing out some hard hitting leaflets to everyone who cycles past. I drill it into the cyclists at work not to do this, i bring it up in every safety meeting. Its all about education. Anyone coming with me?

maybe if they start to hear it from other cyclists rather than people in "authority" they will start to listen??

phil_hg_uk

i feel like dragging my ass to London and standing on the streets handing out some hard hitting leaflets to everyone who cycles past. I drill it into the cyclists at work not to do this, i bring it up in every safety meeting. Its all about education. Anyone coming with me?

maybe if they start to hear it from other cyclists rather than people in "authority" they will start to listen??

I think the problem is the people involved are not really cyclists as such just people who ride a bike who otherwise probably have no other reason for road knowledge.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think the problem is the people involved are not really cyclists as such just people who ride a bike who otherwise probably have no other reason for road knowledge.

Sorry Phil I disagree, all sorts of cyclists seem to rlj in London. The sit up and begger, road racer, MTB'er, those that really should like they know better, really, it's allsorts..

phil_hg_uk

Unfortunately there will always be the other nobbers who think they can run red lights, cycle without lights at night etc and not come to harm, and I am not sure any amount of telling them will make any difference at all although I take my hat off to @buggi for trying.

As far as I am concerned I would like to see all RLJ, people with no lights at night and pavement cyclists (where it is not permitted) charged each and every time they do it, but it is not likely to happen mores the pity.

phil_hg_uk

[QUOTE 2726605, member: 30090"]Yeah, 'these' women are a pain in the arse.[/quote]

I didn't say that they were a pain in the arse so don't try to put words into my mouth this isn't the commuting or CAD forum, I would have quoted their names but I have no idea what they are :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom