21/10/13 - female cyclist down in Camden - Tipper lorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Why is it always skip or tipper lorries?! There must be something lacking in their driver training, their lack of awareness or general observation or understanding of how to drive carefully in an urban environment or more generally on the roads. It's chilling and depressing. I hope the cyclist lives and makes a full recovery.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Why is it always skip or tipper lorries?! There must be something lacking in their driver training, their lack of awareness or general observation or understanding of how to drive carefully in an urban environment or more generally on the roads. It's chilling and depressing. I hope the cyclist lives and makes a full recovery.
My take on it from watching buses and tipper lorries is that buses are generally slower and stick to defined routes. The driver cant throw the vehicle around because the people will fall over.
Where as tipper trucks are generally much quicker than buses, the drivers dont stick to defined routes are will hunt out rat runs.

Crankarm

Guru
i feel like dragging my ass to London and standing on the streets handing out some hard hitting leaflets to everyone who cycles past. I drill it into the cyclists at work not to do this, i bring it up in every safety meeting. Its all about education. Anyone coming with me?

maybe if they start to hear it from other cyclists rather than people in "authority" they will start to listen??

In stationary traffic waiting for traffic lights to change I have deliberately sat on the near side just behind lorries and buses trying to block cyclists from riding up the near side adjacent to the pavement or railings and from time to time I have had cretins barge past me and do just that. On these occasions if they were crushed I would be 100% on the side of the driver of said HGV/bus/etc. Whilst I don't want to see any one dead they rather deserve it. It is the driver of these vehicles I feel for. However some are complete tossers such as Stagecoach and especially Whippet bus drivers.

buggi

Bird Saviour
[QUOTE 2726605, member: 30090"]Yeah, 'these' women are a pain in the arse.[/quote]
speaking as a woman... It is exactly that. When it comes to lorries there are more ignorant women than men. Its not a sexist statement, its fact

buggi

Bird Saviour
[QUOTE 2726619, member: 30090"]You implied it by stating that 'these' women with little or no knowledge of road craft ride a bike on the road when they should not.[/quote]
i didn't take it like that, i took it as "these women" = the ones in particular that got run over. I think what he meant got lost in translation

buggi

Bird Saviour
In stationary traffic waiting for traffic lights to change I have deliberately sat on the near side just behind lorries and buses trying to block cyclists from riding up the near side adjacent to the pavement or railings and from time to time I have had cretins barge past me and do just that. On these occasions if they were crushed I would be 100% on the side of the driver of said HGV/bus/etc. Whilst I don't want to see any one dead they rather deserve it. It is the driver of these vehicles I feel for. However some are complete tossers such as Stagecoach and especially Whippet bus drivers.
i agree some are complete tossers but some aren't and its awful to live with the knowledge you killed someone or gave them life changing injuries. When i read the report and how distressed the driver was i felt as sorry for him as the cyclist. Some drivers are idiots, some are just ignorant. Same with cyclists.

Crankarm

Guru
i agree some are complete tossers but some aren't and its awful to live with the knowledge you killed someone or gave them life changing injuries. When i read the report and how distressed the driver was i felt as sorry for him as the cyclist. Some drivers are idiots, some are just ignorant. Same with cyclists.

....... Or the red mist suddenly lifts and some acutely realise how their life is going to irrepairably change because of their dangerous driving and they try to think of the best excuse or defence to try to shift blame or extricate themselves from a situation they may have created which has resulted in some being killed or seriously injured.

classic33

Leg End Member
Tipper/skip lorries will always work on the quickest turnaround time possible. So corners will be cut by some drivers, simply by virtue of the fact that they may be getting paid by the load.
Coming back into the urban road structure, the system forces them to have to slow down, but does little to alter their need to get back on site as quick as is possible.
I asked why is it London only that seems to be seeing an increase in this type of incident & no clear answer could be given. Every large city in the UK will have major building work going on somewhere, so why isn't the problem occurring outside of London? First thing that springs to my mind is that for over a year the eyes have been on London due to the Olympics & the build-up to them, so its reported more.
The lorry involved in this latest incident was carrying a skip that someone said was batterred, it was also capable of use by two differrent types of lorry. Skip lorry as shown or the type that uses an arm to load/unload it. The lorry itself, subject to wear & tear through use is subject to an MOT, the skip isn't, the lorry itself is less than 18 months old.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
All cyclists should spend a day driving a van around a big town. They would then see how difficult it is for drivers to see them and realise that, no matter how many mirrors you put on a lorry, they can't look in more than one at a time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
All cyclists should spend a day driving a van around a big town. They would then see how difficult it is for drivers to see them and realise that, no matter how many mirrors you put on a lorry, they can't look in more than one at a time.

And those without a driving license?

CafGriff

I hope the girl is ok ... I do feel for the driver too, what a predicament. On our roads today that could be partentially any cyclist, any of us! I've been a motorist for the past 35 years, I've seen cyclists knocked off of their bikes and cyclist knock into pedestrians both on and off the roads.
No one is born with eyes in the back of their heads, nor with ESP. As a cyclist, I have been knocked off my bike whilst cycling down hill one winters night .. clothed in reflective, bright yellow jacket and shorts, with two front lights ( one flashing) and two rear red lights again one flashing ... a new 19 year old boy racer, over took my and without indicating, pulled into the near side kerb, and opened the door to get out.
I couldn't stop in time ... I was level with his boot when I saw the edge side of the door and his right leg immerging from the car. The edge of the corner of the door hit my left collar bone, and whilst I was on the floor, 'Matie' stood over me and started yelling that he couldn't shut his door properly .... mind you it was really 'cracking' loudly when he was checking it out.
Overall I was fine, I had a few days off work and the insurance eventually choked up about 8 months later.
Equally I have knocked a student over, in the road, because whilst approaching a set of traffic lights, the cars had stopped and I was cruising up to the lights on the inside .. Student had his back to me, walking on the pavement, on his mobile ... without looking behind himself, for his own saftey, he just stepped off of the kerb and I hit him. Thank God I was slowing up. He was fine ... more embarressed than hurt.
Stay safe everyone! spare a thought and say a pray for those involved in the incident posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom